Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://playtmg.com/blogs/tmg-news/6327494-tmg-goes-exclusive...

There has been a wave of game publishers declaring exclusive distribution relationships. Today, I announce, that TMG will have an exclusive distribution relationship with TMG.

First, I will explain where you will be able to buy TMG games when everything is changed. Then, I will explain the reasons for the change.

How Will This Work?

Gamers will be able to buy TMG games from local retail stores, from Amazon.com (With Fulfillment By Amazon, and possibly a modest discount on many games), and from Game Salute’s website (Full MSRP).

Retail stores within the United States will be able to buy games directly from Game Salute at a full 50% discount, often including promos for that game, and can benefit from additional support. TMG titles will sell faster for these retailers than before thanks to the increased capability to buy advertising online.

Retail stores outside of the United States will be able to buy TMG games from their non-US based distributor, who will in turn be buying from Game Salute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sucks. I own TMG games through OLGS I would not own going through these outlets.

Won't buy any more TMG games like this.

Oh well, lot of games out there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Sucks. I own TMG games through OLGS I would not own going through these outlets.

You don't buy anything from Amazon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My shop in Belgium buys them from a distributor who used to get your games from PSI. I guess that is no longer possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surya wrote:
My shop in Belgium buys them from a distributor who used to get your games from PSI. I guess that is no longer possible?

That same distributor can now buy from Game Salute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Nope. Like I said, plenty of other games out there. Seems foolish to limit your market size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
"Surya" wrote:

That same distributor can now buy from Game Salute.

I informed them, and they have already contacted them. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Nope. Like I said, plenty of other games out there. Seems foolish to limit your market size.
Seems kind of foolish to completely eliminate buying good games from a particular publisher. Also seems kind of foolish to cut off your nose to spite your face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Seems kind of foolish to completely eliminate buying good games from a particular publisher. Also seems kind of foolish to cut off your nose to spite your face.

I rarely pay full price for anything. I'll get the games in a trade or used. I enjoy every one of their games. Seems foolish to me to be offering opinions about a person you don't know at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

It seems like they will make a bit more profit per game which will make up for the small number of people who never buy games from a LGS or Amazon.

Of course the only exclusive distribution decisions that bother me are the ones that lead to Amazon not getting to sell games. That is generally where I buy my new games.

Also, Amazon is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

I rarely pay full price for anything. I'll get the games in a trade or used. I enjoy every one of their games. Seems foolish to me to be offering opinions about a person you don't know at all.

Yeah for buying used!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Not really sure that going through Amazon can be considered limiting your market size, especially considering how big Amazon is and what they plan on doing with their distributor locations in the future to improve already speedy delivery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Seems foolish to me to be offering opinions about a person you don't know at all.
I completely agree. Good thing I was merely commenting on your stated plans rather than offering an opinion about you personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's this mean?

Quote:
TMG titles will sell faster for these retailers than before thanks to the increased capability to buy advertising online.

Do you really think my local game stores are going to purchase advertising online?

How will 'TMG titles sell faster for (local) retailers than before'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
What's this mean?

Quote:
TMG titles will sell faster for these retailers than before thanks to the increased capability to buy advertising online.

Do you really think my local game stores are going to purchase advertising online?

I'm guessing TMG will step up it's own advertising which may led to more traffic in the FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
What's this mean?

Quote:

I will be buying more advertising online. Especially as I can prove return on investment as can be done with the results tracking that the digital world provides.

If I have to buy 8,000 impressions to make 1 sale (which I would find very acceptable) then any game that I am advertising for will be seen a significantly more amount of times online.

It will affect purchasing decisions offline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will TMG still be selling games directly from their own website? I actually seem to buy TMG games from them directly more often than not. Seems like that would lead to higher profits for TMG. Maybe this mode of sale is just assumed and not what we are talking about here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strickhouser wrote:
Will TMG still be selling games directly from their own website? I actually seem to buy TMG games from them directly more often than not. Seems like that would lead to higher profits for TMG. Maybe this mode of sale is just assumed and not what we are talking about here.

We will be moving away from our own website, and instead utilize Amazon's platform. As stated this is all in process and not complete yet. Until it is playtmg.com is still an option...

This way our customers get the benefit of everything related to Amazon's sales system, process, and fulfillment. While we get almost the same revenues adjusted for our costs as sales through playtmg.com.

So, it will be like buying direct, except better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
Strickhouser wrote:

We will be moving away from our own website, and instead utilize Amazon's platform. As stated this is all in process and not complete yet. Until it is playtmg.com is still an option...

This way our customers get the benefit of everything related to Amazon's sales system, process, and fulfillment. While we get almost the same revenues adjusted for our costs as sales through playtmg.com.

So, it will be like buying direct, except better.

Awesome. I am quite happy purchasing from Amazon and view it as more of a global farmers' market than an evil corporate entity. I am glad to hear you'll be making good margins off of this new system and look forward to purchasing TMG games in the future. Z-Man Games et. al. are also switching to exclusive deals and their new systems appear to be significantly more restricting, plus I don't see their sales dropping off from such a move. Don't let the dissenters sway the decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strickhouser wrote:
Don't let the dissenters sway the decision.

I don't run TMG by democracy... But I do listen... Right now, there seems to be more positive reaction than anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Seymour
United States
Jenkintown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Game Salute use ACD to actually distribute things? Or is that relationship going to change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
Strickhouser wrote:
Don't let the dissenters sway the decision.

I don't run TMG by democracy... But I do listen... Right now, there seems to be more positive reaction than anything.

Don't get me wrong - I'll figure out a way to get your games. I think I have everyone now.

Mine was a weak rank - I have no idea of how you run your company and should have kept my mouth shut.

Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Yeah for buying used!

The one way to ensure TMG doesn't get any money from the sale. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
Redward wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Yeah for buying used!

The one way to ensure TMG doesn't get any money from the sale. devil

I wonder what the retailers think about comments such as "buy it used." Does the used game market bother them as much as publishers going exclusive with distributors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

I wonder what the retailers think about comments such as "buy it used." Does the used game market bother them as much as publishers going exclusive with distributors?

I was half kidding. The only reason I brought it up is I remember a pretty vitriolic article I read a few years back from a video game developer talking about how Gamespot's pawnshop business model basically cut the people who made the games completely out of the money cycle. I doubt the market for used board games is anywhere as active as that particular aspect of the video game market.

edit->

Though if there were a gamespot-like brand of FLGS's out there, I wonder how happy the publishers would be with them. Maybe they wouldn't have a problem since publishers apparently bend over backward to support FLGS's anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.