Subject: Cuban missiles and DEFCON rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Cuban missiles is in play does it become redundant when some plays an event that improves the DEFCON eg how I learned to stop worrying (allows DEFCON to be set to anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The wording on the card stating that your opponent cannot coup is still relevant, regardless of the DEFCON.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did wonder if the Cuban missile Crisis made the playing of any futher DEFCON altering event cards, unplayable.

The CMC card gives just two specific ways in which the crisis can be averted neither of which are fulfilled by the playing of a DEFCON altering card.

Good point about the restriction on coups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, so there are two separate effects this event has. First, it sets the DEFCON to two. This is a one-time effect and is not lasting; DEFCON can still be altered by other events, will go to one if there is a coup in the battleground country, etc.

The second effect is that your opponent is restricted from performing any coups for the rest of the turn, upon penalty of instant loss. This is a duration effect that can be cancelled by voluntary removal of influence from the countries listed, depending on which side your opponent is playing. Hope that clears things up, and sorry if my earlier post didn't answer your question, as I didn't have the card text handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Card
United States
California
flag msg tools
One other point to make about Cuban Missile Crisis: if your opponent conducts a coup, even if you are the phasing player, they lose. So, for example, if it was DEFCON 2 and the USSR (having previously played CMC) plays CIA, the US player would be unable to use that 1 op to conduct a DEFCON 2 trap coup. In this way, CMC is a great card if you have DEFCON 2 trap cards in your hand and you need to get rid of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Cooley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick2253 wrote:
One other point to make about Cuban Missile Crisis: if your opponent conducts a coup, even if you are the phasing player, they lose. So, for example, if it was DEFCON 2 and the USSR (having previously played CMC) plays CIA, the US player would be unable to use that 1 op to conduct a DEFCON 2 trap coup. In this way, CMC is a great card if you have DEFCON 2 trap cards in your hand and you need to get rid of them.

I believe the US would be allowed to remove 2 influence from W.Germany (or Turkey) before using the Op from CIA Created. They could then coup and cause the USSR to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogetoorn
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
coinspnnr wrote:
Nick2253 wrote:

I believe the US would be allowed to remove 2 influence from W.Germany (or Turkey) before using the Op from CIA Created. They could then coup and cause the USSR to lose.

Since this topic made me wonder about the exact timing of removing IP from a country to cancel CMC, I asked the designers for a rule. This morning I received the following answer from Ananda Gupta:

"The intent is indeed for either player to be able to cancel at any time. However, in Twilight Struggle there is no procedural separation between naming a target for a coup or realignment and its die roll resolution, so once a player has named a target, CMC may not be canceled until after the roll is made. In your example, therefore, the USSR could cancel CMC *prior* to the US naming a coup target, or in between two realignment rolls on the same card. Specifically:

Is it possible to wait until opponent announces coup target? NO
May USSR remove 2 IP from Cuba after US announces Cuba as realignment target? NO
May USSR remove 2 IP from Cuba after seeing US roll but before his own? NO"

So resuming, courtesy when CMC is in effect (you played it) would be: play a card, announce the action you would like to conduct, ask the other player if he would like to cancel CMC, announce your target. When conducting realigment rolls you should ask the other player if he likes to cancel CMC after any finished realignment procedure, but before announcing your next realignment target.

Of course, when the player under CMC spends OP himself, he can remove IP before using the OP. See the quoted example. In this example Nathan is right, the USSR will lose, unless the US haven't got at least 2 IP in Turkey or W.Germany.

Ananda, thanks for clarifying this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.