Subject: Which Version to Buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I recently stumbled across a video for this game and it looks like a lot of fun. I think I'd like to purchase it to play with my nephew however there are a lot of different versions. Which do you think is the best?

I really like the artwork for the original Mr. Jack. I keep reading that Mr. Jack goes to the NY is the best in terms of balance and game play. But I'm also considering Mr. Jack Pocket because it's much less expensive. If you had to choose one of the three for a first timer, which would it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack Pocket is quite a different experience. It's a lot shorter, slightly more random, and, to me, less tense.

Between Mr. Jack and Mr. Jack in New York, you can easily choose based on taste. They're both great games. Myself, I prefer playing the New York one because it adds a "build the board as you go" aspect, but I prefer the artwork of the original (London) one, too

How old is your nephew, and how much experience with board games does he have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Pirard
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the original one.

This was recommended to me by the shopkeeper a few years ago and I still like it.
When you like the artwork, don't hesitate.
Go for the first one.
I have the expansion for this one too, and I like it.

regarding balance, in MoM the keeper can be overpowering too so he needs to lay low too if the investigators want a fun game.
Nevertheless, I like it, especially as the keeper.

So go for Mr. Jack the original.

I rest my case.

Have fun playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the original also. I haven't played New York, but have pocket and original + the expansion. I like the expansion for the variable setup, but still have had the most fun with the clean simplicity and cleverness of the base game. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I teach the original to people first, but I like New York more if that helps any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.