Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up this on eBay :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370632432084?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_1152

Box is a bit damaged, but looking forward to receiving !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good value for what you paid. Make sure you check you got the errata - but I think it might be floating round BGG anyway.

I enjoyed it but never finished it. I'm not sure that as a solo game it "works" 100% in the sense that I found some later links leading to unexpected/wrong places - but I admit that might have been me making a cock up or 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I'll grab the errata. Is there an easy way to tell which edition this is ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
AutismRecoverySystem.com Methyl B-12 Injection Therapy **It SAVED My Son**
badge
Tending the garden of my soul . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Buy! I saw that one; I'm glad it went to someone who can appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
Thanks - I'll grab the errata. Is there an easy way to tell which edition this is ?

Not sure but have a look at the other threads in this General forum (there aren't many!) - some pointers there I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it arrived today and its the second edition. Game is in great condition.

After reading through the rules I played through the first few days. Really atmospheric and fun game with a great sense of suspense.

It seemed really hard as a solo dick (whistle) to cover enough ground and although I made some progress on the cases, by the end of day 3 the case on day 1 seemed almost forgotten.

The thing that strikes me as odd about the game is how the creators intended it to be played. It almost seems like it would work best with a group of investigators playing say for a whole real day, working through all nine days in the game one after the other. Given that the cases carry on from one day to the next (i.e some clues for the first day are in the second day) it would make it hard to just play one day at a time.

Also it's hard to know when is best to complete a case - I guess you would play in the spirit of the game and only look at the answers once you are 100% sure of the solution. I've not looked at any answers yet as I don't want to ruin the game until I'm sure.

Also I thought the clue sheet required some honest "in the spirit of the game" usage in that it lists places and names you might not even know at that stage of the game. I played it that I couldn't go to a place unless I had a good reason to go there. (Some type of electronic programme would work well here - you could type in a location / address and it would tell you if you can go there with the clue number).

Still a really special game and one I'm glad to have in my collection. Although now I've got unsolved murders on my mind....soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin, those are precisely the issues I had with it.

Interesting - and frankly, rather reassuring! Thought it was just me.

I found, on a 2nd playthrough, that it made sense to decide that you were one of 2 or 3 (even 4) investigators, in a party - seems to me that's the only possible way to get through all the clues.

And like you, I played I had to have a good reason to go to "X" before I did - and that's where I felt it broke down; sometimes, there never seemed to be a good reason. Or, if I found one, I turned to a paragraph that seemed to assume I knew something else.

Great shame, since it's wonderfully written, and gave me a great sense that I "was" the hardboiled detective. I hope you have more luck, as you play on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.