Subject: Simplified Combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I very much enjoy this game, most fun I had with a solo game (possible competition would be pocket civ).

What bugs me is combat. I really find combat rather tedious to resolve, as the math involved is a bit too complicated for me to do as quickly as would be necessary for pleasant speed of play. It really becomes a bit cumbersome. Is there any variant that makes combat simpler?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah. The combat system is a little wonky and seems a bit over complicated.

I suppose you could do something along the lines of just rolling 1d6 or 2d6 and adding the result to the combat values of attacker and defender. If the attacker rolls a higher value thant the defender, then you score hits according to the difference between the two values. And if the attacker's result is lower than the defenders value, then it is a miss.

For example, Attackers attack value is 8 and defender's value is 6. roll 1d6 for both. Attacker gets a 2, defender gets 3. Attacker total is 10 (8+2) and defender value is 9 (6+3), so the attacker scores 1 wound (10-9)on the defender.

If the attacker had rolled a 4, then he would have scored 3 wounds (12-9)on the defender. If the results were Attacker: 3 and Defender: 6, then it would have been 11 total for the attacker and 12 total for the defender. Since 11 is lower than 12, it would have been a miss for the attacker.

Maybe make it so the result has to be above for a hit and less than or equal for a miss. Or the other way around for a slightly easier game.

Or you could even have special rules for a tie.

I don't think it would really matter much if you used 1d6 or 2d6, but I suppose 2d6 would give a better range.

Still math involved, but less than the original plus you don't have to look up on a chart. I would still probably use the modifiers though for if the characters are wounded or not.

Hope this helps. Think I might try it out myself next time I get it to the table.

***Edit***

To make it even faster, instead of hit/miss you could make it so if the result is lower for the attacker, then the defender actually scores points equal to the difference on the attacker. So in the example I used above, instead of the attacker simply missing, then the defender would actually cause 1 wound on the attacker. And if the numbers are equal then you could either count it as a complete miss for both attacker and defender or count it as 1 wound for each of them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like it would change the combats a bit (I must confess not to really understand the mathematical implications of all this). But given that it is quite random anyway and that the key point is to keep the likeliness to die in combat up, this sound like it might work. Will try. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Si Fei wrote:
Sounds like it would change the combats a bit (I must confess not to really understand the mathematical implications of all this). But given that it is quite random anyway and that the key point is to keep the likeliness to die in combat up, this sound like it might work. Will try. Thank you!

You mean you don't understand the math in the method I suggested or in the original rules?

I don't really understand the design of the original method at all. It's interesting, but seems kinda convoluted in my opinion.

The method I suggested will definitely be different. I think it may make the game a little harder and easier at the same time since there would be the possibility of dealing more than 3 wounds in a single round.

Let me know how it goes when you try it out. Also let me know whether you use 1 or 2 dice and if you use the simultaneous combat that I added to the end.

Haven't had a chance to try it out myself and probably won't get to this weekend. It was just something I came up with off the top of my head (I think it is a common method or that it has been used already in at least some game that I played before, but can't remember which one) when I suggested it. So I'm curious to see how it works out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been mulling this one for years. One idea I had kicked about was this:

Take the combat skill of the Prince plus mods, halve and rounded up the sum. This is the number of D6s to use. Do the same for the opponent.

Odd number (ie 1,3 & 5) are blows. Even numbers (2, 4 & 6) are blocks.

The attacker rolls and assigns his blows rolls to the target.

The defender's dices are rolled. Any Block results are assigned to block any blows dies assigned to it.

Any blows that do not have blocks assigned result in one hit each to the defender.

If the defender has more blocks than the attacker and has at least one blow die roll from this round then one hit is made to the attacker. In the event of the defender facing multiple attacker then the block dice can be assigned to one attacker or any combination of attackers as desired. This reflects the originals allowance for the attacker overreaching himself or doing himself an injury.

This idea opens the way for custom equipment adding block or blows. For instance a unique shield that could provide a block in addition die roll blocks or a sword that adds an addition blow or a ranged weapon that can ignore one block roll result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's a pretty interesting variant idea. Only downside is that it would require quite a few dice. especially when facing multiple attackers and/or having a good amount of allies. I'm sure different colored sets would be useful too.

So would multiple attackers all roll at once? Like combine all of their combat skills and modifiers/2 and roll that many dice at once? It could make things quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.