BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Brand New Online Store turnandtoken.com rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Orlando Collins
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I just wanted to add a quick post to the forums here of the geek. I have always wanted to start an online store for boardgames that was clean and built for gamers. After falling in love with boardgames I very quickly found the geek, and I must thank everyone on this site. I found everything from game advice, Rules Breakdown, and even advice on opening my store. Well it is nearly finalized so I would love it if people would take a look and tell me what they think.
I am starting very small but look to grow quickly!

turnandtoken.com

I would love any and all feedback!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Moratti
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry my man. Can't find it through Google. You may want to include a link......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
www.turnandtoken.com

I tried typing turnandtoken.com into my adderss bar and it worked a treat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Orlando Collins wrote:
I just wanted to add a quick post to the forums here of the geek. I have always wanted to start an online store for boardgames that was clean and built for gamers. After falling in love with boardgames I very quickly found the geek, and I must thank everyone on this site. I found everything from game advice, Rules Breakdown, and even advice on opening my store. Well it is nearly finalized so I would love it if people would take a look and tell me what they think.
I am starting very small but look to grow quickly!

turnandtoken.com

Good luck on your new endeavor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Orlando Collins wrote:

The selection so far is very small.

Even smaller than at first glance sue to the fact that some publishers have no games listed and many tat do are pre-order only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McC
United States
Central Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I applaud your efforts and wish you well. My only note of hopefully constructive criticism is to ask: did you do any market research on the name? I find it doesn't flow off the tongue well and my first mental association, both visually and audibly, was "turducken".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It seems a bit bold to declare yourself to be "the best table top game supplier" at this point in your venture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the following message when I tried to click the link at work:

This Websense category is filtered: Potentially Damaging Content. Sites in this category may pose a security threat to network resources or private information, and are blocked by your organization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Clicked the link:

Down for Maintenance

This store is currently unavailable due to maintenance. The best table top game supplier will be back shortly

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

...rough start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
it may also give folks more faith that you aren't a fly by night if you registered the domain name for more than 1 year....

Creation date: 16 Jul 2012 08:45:00

Expiration date: 16 Jul 2013 00:45:00

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Collins
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Yeah I really went for it on that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Collins
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I appreciate the comments everyone and I understand my timing was terrible. When I posted this I had the site exposed but I am finalizing some of the accounting and shopping cart things and should have it back up on Friday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Collins
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I hate to ask for a second chance but I timed the last request very poorly. My website is officially launched! Again please take a look and tell me what you think. I am trying to create a very gamer friendly site to shop on.

For your troubles and what I have put the everyone through recently I have created the coupon code bggtoken for the next 10 geeks who want to buy a game and get 5% off!
Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your prices are the same as most other OLGS, but you have no free shipping at any level, no discount program, and not much selection, you will not be successful. People need some reason to buy from you. Just some constructive criticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orlando Collins wrote:
I am trying to create a very gamer friendly site to shop on.

what do you mean by this statement that is different than existing game etailer's websites?

i noticed you still haven't decided to commit much to this venture, your domain name still expires in less than a year

also consider becoming a bgg sponsor ($15 and you get a supporter badge) if you are going to be using BGG to advertise your site like this thread

edit: ps: one gamer or at least customer friendly feature to have on one's website is to list quantity you have in stock for each game, check out

www.coolstuffinc.com for an example (or to a lesser degree www.boardsandbits.com)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Orlando Collins wrote:
I am trying to create a very gamer friendly site to shop on.

what do you mean by this statement that is different than existing game etailer's websites?

i noticed you still haven't decided to commit much to this venture, your domain name still expires in less than a year

also consider becoming a bgg sponsor ($15 and you get a supporter badge) if you are going to be using BGG to advertise your site like this thread :)

edit: ps: one gamer or at least customer friendly feature to have on one's website is to list quantity you have in stock for each game, check out

www.coolstuffinc.com for an example (or to a lesser degree www.boardsandbits.com)

Oof! Speaking as someone who literally just launched their own OLGS in Canada, some of this seems a touch extreme, at least from my perspective. Starting your own business is a daunting task to be sure!

I had considered posting a thread like this but wasn't sure how that would be received.

I can understand why the OP has done (or not done) certain things, whether it was a conscious decision or lack of knowledge on their part.

Quite frankly, I think the domain registration expiration is a pretty nit-picky criticism; to say that indicates he hasn't decided to commit much because of that is ludicrous. The cost to register for a year is peanuts compared to the cost to professionally develop a site (I don't know how the OP's site was built, but it was in my case). I don't think I'd feel any better about an OLGS if I saw it was registered for three years since the cost is so minimal. In my case I registered for a year because I knew nothing and wanted to grab the domain. Although now you've opened my eyes to how this may or may not be viewed with suspicion, so maybe that's a good thing.

Becoming a BGG supporter is a must, I agree.

When it came to listing quantities, I was on the fence. I decided to go without as I am a small startup; I thought it might be viewed as a detriment to show I have 300 titles but one or two of every copy. CSI and BnB are likely MUCH bigger entities and can afford to do this.

At least that's my take on it. I think the site looks nice, and if you get rolling with the business you can make improvements along the way. Honestly, go the extra mile with customer service and you can win over loyal customers and go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
regarding listing quantities... you don't have to give away all info.. for example B&B only let's you know if it's 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 5+.... CSI is precise up to 20 before they just list 20+

however the reason from a customer perspective imho that we like to see them is that it gives a warm fuzzy that the website tracks inventory real time... and that when I place an order I'm not going to get contacted later that they are really out of stock (because someone else bought the last copy and store owner hasn't manually updated inventory in who knows how long)

www.minaturemarket.com btw is another one that lists quantity on hand... to an even more extreme than B&B or CSI... I think they give exact no matter what

as for being nit picky or not about domain name registration length, I think you underestimate the importance for some of us though like anything else ymmv... there are tons of fly by nights out there (and this is the general web store front, not board game etailers specifically), and I have had my credit card compromised in the past, so I'm leery about giving my credit card info to any website that was just registered less than a month ago and is only registered for a year. Even if they take paypal instead of taking my CC info directly, www.paypalsucks.com and no matter what it's always a hassle dealing with paypal or my credit card company

though I do agree that both these things (quantities listed or not, domain name) are small compared to what was mentioned earlier, lack of free shipping no matter what order size is, and with so many established board game etailers out there with same or even better prices to begin with that do offer free shipping on orders as low as $99, and who also have broader and deeper inventory, that's likely to be the deal breaker for a lot of folks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bimm wrote:
If your prices are the same as most other OLGS, but you have no free shipping at any level, no discount program, and not much selection, you will not be successful. People need some reason to buy from you. Just some constructive criticism.

I agree with this. You won't be competitive if you don't do something to keep up with others' promotions. At this point, I probably would not buy from your site, just because there are so many better deals to be had elsewhere. Offering to price match other sites' prices is another option that at least one site does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemanue wrote:
Offering to price match other sites' prices is another option that at least one site does.

imho this is not a useful option... why go through the hassle of trying to get one store to price match when you can just order from the store that already has the lower price and be done with it?

and from my personal experience with fairplay's price matching policy, it was a real hassle and they wouldn't fully honor the policy as they had it listed on their website at the time... only went with them because they had something else that was out of stock every where else at the time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
regarding listing quantities... you don't have to give away all info.. for example B&B only let's you know if it's 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 5+.... CSI is precise up to 20 before they just list 20+

however the reason from a customer perspective imho that we like to see them is that it gives a warm fuzzy that the website tracks inventory real time... and that when I place an order I'm not going to get contacted later that they are really out of stock (because someone else bought the last copy and store owner hasn't manually updated inventory in who knows how long)

www.minaturemarket.com btw is another one that lists quantity on hand... to an even more extreme than B&B or CSI... I think they give exact no matter what

as for being nit picky or not about domain name registration length, I think you underestimate the importance for some of us though like anything else ymmv... there are tons of fly by nights out there (and this is the general web store front, not board game etailers specifically), and I have had my credit card compromised in the past, so I'm leery about giving my credit card info to any website that was just registered less than a month ago and is only registered for a year. Even if they take paypal instead of taking my CC info directly, www.paypalsucks.com and no matter what it's always a hassle dealing with paypal or my credit card company

though I do agree that both these things (quantities listed or not, domain name) are small compared to what was mentioned earlier, lack of free shipping no matter what order size is, and with so many established board game etailers out there with same or even better prices to begin with that do offer free shipping on orders as low as $99, and who also have broader and deeper inventory, that's likely to be the deal breaker for a lot of folks

Fair enough. I've taken your advice and extended my own registration by a couple years; who knew?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Hays
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
JeffyJeff wrote:
Gamemanue wrote:
Offering to price match other sites' prices is another option that at least one site does.

imho this is not a useful option... why go through the hassle of trying to get one store to price match when you can just order from the store that already has the lower price and be done with it?

and from my personal experience with fairplay's price matching policy, it was a real hassle and they wouldn't fully honor the policy as they had it listed on their website at the time... only went with them because they had something else that was out of stock every where else at the time...

I price match with Time Well Spent, and they were great about it. It was great because one site had the lowest price on one game I wanted, another site had the lowest price on another one, and so on. By ordering through Time Well Spent, I could go to one site and get the lowest prices on all the games I wanted. It lowered the overall cost by several dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.