Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A fan of LW brought to my attention that he had just heard about the inclusion of an English INTERVENTION rule in the game. Some time back I did take to heart the many requests to do something like that but it is decidedly not England sending armed intervention.

For those of you who have not seen the rule, it is as follows:

EUROPEAN INTERVENTION

TRIGGER: If the EP has not been declared by the Summer of 1863, European Intervention can be declared by the Confederate player if a Union 3 star General sustains a major defeat or retreats before battle. European Intervention may take place earlier if a Union 3 star General sustains a major defeat or retreats before battle North of the North/South border, or if the Confederates take Washington DC.

RESULTS: The confederate player immediately gains 5 PCs and may replace any one card in his hand with a new card from his discard pile. At the beginning of every campaign season after European Intervention has been declared, the Confederate player adds 3 PCs to his PC Track.

I invite your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having once written a paper on the failure of Confederate diplomacy, I have my doubts that European RECOGNITION - let alone intervention - while the war was underway and the issue was undecided was ever really in the cards. Britain was divided politically on the war (Napoleon III/France were not going to get ahead of Britain), and the whole scale of the war and the distances involved (and the rapid build-up of the US/Union Navy) were rather daunting when it came to actual armed intervention. Also the Europeans pretty quickly sourced cotton elsewhere (and Britain at least entered the war with large stockpiles) so the economic incentives for intervention were not very high (contrary to Confederate dreaming).

Personally I'd skip the rule. But if you want such a rule as a "what if" for the CSA, I'd at least call it European Recognition rather than intervention.

That said, strictly from a rules perspective, on the trigger - first sentence, WHEN does the three-star major defeat/retreat before battle have to take place? EVER? Only in Summer '63? You should clarify that. Same issue with the second sentence - no time limit on when those actions occur? And if they do occur, is that the time the CSA springs Euro Recognition?

I don't know the game well enough (read the rules but not played) to comment on the effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also you should consider cross-posting in the Wargame forum to attract more eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wendell, I like exchanging Intervention for Recognition. Wish I had thought of it. I also see your point about the rules wording in the first case you stated ... not sure what you mean in the second.

TRIGGER: If the EP has not been declared by the Summer of 1863, European Recognition can be declared by the Confederate player that turn or later if a Union 3 star General sustains a major defeat or retreats before battle. European Recognition may take place earlier if a Union 3 star General sustains a major defeat or retreats before battle North of the North/South border, or if the Confederates take Washington DC.

RESULTS: Once European Recognition has been declared,the confederate player immediately gains 5 PCs and may replace any one card in his hand with a new card from his discard pile. At the beginning of every campaign season after European Recognition has been declared, the Confederate player adds 3 PCs to his PC Track.

Thanks again for the tip on the Wargaming site. I was unaware of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've perused the Wargame Forum, but I see no tabs or instructions on how to cross post. Can you assist me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poniske wrote:
Ok, I've perused the Wargame Forum, but I see no tabs or instructions on how to cross post. Can you assist me?

Just make a new post and include a link to this thread. And/or, cut & paste your original thread into a new post in the wargame forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Link to General War Game Forum:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/743498/wargames/general
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.