Subject: Booster box enough to start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would a Booster Box be enough to build two decks of comparable strength? Just to learn/play the game.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By a "booster box", I assume you mean a box with multiple packs of booster cards in it?

The one thing you won't get (but can probably download from somewhere) in boosters are the rules.

From there, you should have plenty of cards with which to build a couple of decks of around 60-70 cards per deck (plenty to learn the game). How balanced these decks will be I guess depends upon how random the card distribution is... or the theme each player will aim at in building their deck (muscle vs tech, or all Mafiosi/ Orcs etc).

Enjoy. We played this game almost to the exclusion of all else for a number of years. Disappointed when it ceased to exist..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo Pintéus
Portugal
Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should indeed be enough to start, but you'll be getting some new cards in no time... card distribution was notoriously bad! In order to make decent, balanced decks that look different, play different and aren't just 4x copies of 15 different cards you are probably going to need more than the contents of one box (unless you're absurdly lucky).

I think there's 9 common cards per 15 card booster. That's 324 common cards per 36 booster box. The base set has 110 different commons. Yet I'd bet you that the booster box you're buying will not have a full common set. Matter of fact I only got one after my 3rd booster box. Other people may have had other experiences, but I don't think any full booster box should be missing any given common from that set, otherwise how common are they really?

The last booster box I bought, I got to a point where, if I got 2x Stomper and 2x Caves of Halverfille in one booster, and then 2x Caves of Halferville and 2x Tir Tairngire in another, I could say with absolute certainty that in the next 2-3 boosters there would be one with 2x Stomper and 2x Tir Tairngire. How sad is that? Yes, there may be more than 2 duplicate cards in one booster, and there may be more than one booster with the exact same commons in one box. G'damnit, is that ridiculous or is it just me?

In 3 base set boosters, plus some random ebay pre-played collection lots (around 2000 cards) I have some commons with 20+ duplicates, and others with no duplicates, just one card.

Now that you're warned of the biggest disappointment with this game, go build your decks in peace, chummer, and get ready to frag some drek up! The game itself is loads of fun, the setting is KEEEEWWLL! and the art direction really nailed it making it fun to even just collect them and derive reptilian pleasure from just looking at them.

BTW - Michael, Jason or anyone else checking this post and willing to trade some cards, PM me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.