Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Watson
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Introducing Militia's nemesis, a mind-controlling officer who thinks nothing for his troops' welfare in his march for power: The Commander. Still working on him, so thoughts welcome.

History: Wayne Jennings was an able platoon commander. He volunteered for a secret military project using materials from the latest Voss invasion, and experimental chemicals from Pike Industries to create a super soldier. Sadly, the project was a failure and Jennings died, along with several of the staff, in a lab accident that set fire to the building. Or so everyone believes.
In actuality, the project was a qualified success. Jennings was enhanced, gaining prodigious psychic abilities. Unfortunately, he also developed a severe case of megalomania, convinced he was the best suited to run everything rather than the fools currently in charge. Taking control of the research team, he staged the lab fire and used it to repurpose the research for ways to increase his abilities so that he could take over the country and show people how it should be run.
He clashes frequently with the Freedom Five and with an old member of his platoon, the one-man army known as Militia who keeps hoping to restore his former commanding officer to his right mind.

The Commander
HP: 60
“Psychic Insurgent"
Setup: At the start of the game, put the Commander’s villain character cards into play "Psychic Insurgent" side up.
Game Play: If at any time all active heroes are controlled, search the villain trash and villain deck for the card "Psychic Reinforcement Helmet" and put it into play, then flip The Commander’s character cards.
At the end of the villain turn, the Commander deals each hero target 1 psychic damage.
Advanced: At the end of the villain turn, play the top card of the villain deck.
Description: M Bison-esque military uniform, eyes shadowed but glowing purple. Standing over a model of the city, one hand reaching over it in a grasping pose.

The Commander
HP: 60
"Puppetmaster General"
Game Play: At the start of the villain turn, the Commander deals the hero target with the highest HP (H) psychic damage.
Increase all damage done by Conscripts by 1.
At the end of the villain turn, if any hero is not Controlled flip The Commander’s villain character cards.
Advanced: At the start of the villain turn, the Commander heals (H) damage.
Description: The Commander, wearing the Psychic Reinforcement Helmet, standing by a flagpole, a crowd in the foreground.

Mind Control (5)
Ongoing
When this card is played, if all active heroes are controlled, discard this card and deal all controlled heroes 2 irreducible psychic damage.
Play this card next to an active hero who is not Controlled. That hero is Controlled.
Whenever that hero deals damage to a villain target, the damage is redirected to the hero target with the highest HP.
The hero may skip their turn and deal themselves (H) psychic damage to destroy this card.
Description: The Commander standing behind Militia, both having glowing purple eyes, the Commander smiling, Militia looking blank.
Quote: "Sir, yes, sir." Militia

Controlled Mob (3)
Conscript
HP: 2
At the end of the villain turn, this card deals each hero target 1 melee damage.
When this card is destroyed, each hero deals themselves 1 psychic damage .
Description: A variety of citizens beating on Legacy, all having glowing purple eyes.
Quote: "Don’t hurt them. They’re under his control." Legacy
“Wish they felt the same way." Absolute Zero

Overridden Soldiers (3)
Conscript
HP: 3
At the end of the villain turn, this card deals the hero target with the highest HP 2 projectile damage.
When this card is destroyed, each hero deals themselves 1 psychic damage .
Description: Soldiers firing on Bunker.
Quote: "The Commander orders your death." Soldiers

Mind-Controlled Hero (1)
Conscript
HP: 7
At the end of the villain turn, this card deals all hero targets 2 energy damage.
Reduce damage dealt to this card by 1.
When this card is destroyed, each hero deals themselves 2 psychic damage .
Description: Young Legacy, with glowing purple eyes, punching on Legacy, Tachyon lying limply on the ground.
Quote: "Halt, evil-doer!" Young Legacy
“Stop, please, I don’t want to hurt you." Legacy

Suicide Bomber (2)
One-shot
When this card is played, destroy the Conscript with the lowest HP and destroy X hero ongoing and/or equipment cards, where X=the hit points of the card before it was destroyed+1.
Description: An explosion throwing Militia bodies aside.
Quote: "She blew herself up?! How could..." Expatriate
“He’s getting stronger. We need to move." Militia

Psychic Reinforcement Helmet (1)
Device
HP: 10
Increase damage by the Commander or controlled heroes by 1.
Reduce damage dealt to villain targets by 1.
When this card is played, shuffle the villain trash into the villain deck.
Description: Black gloved hands holding up a GI helmet, purple energy flashing from it.
Quote: "At last, the power is mine." The Commander

Recruitment (2)
One-shot
Reveal cards until either a Mind Control or Conscript card is revealed. Play that card. Shuffle the other revealed cards and the villain trash back into the deck.
Description: The Commander standing before a unit of soldiers, all with purple eyes.
Quote: "Welcome to the new order." The Commander

Psychic Storm (2)
One-shot
Search the deck for a copy of the card Mind Control. Play it. Shuffle the villain deck.
The Commander deals all hero targets X damage, where X=the number of Controlled Heroes +1.
Description: The Commander, wearing the Psychic Reinforcement Helmet, purple lightning flaring from the helmet.
Quote: "Fall before my power, worms." The Commander

Sacrifice (2)
Ongoing
When the Commander is damaged, redirect that damage to the Controlled hero or Conscript card with the lowest HP.
Description: The Commander almost hidden by a throng of civilians, looking over Legacy’s shoulder.
Quote: "We can’t get at him without hurting these people!" Legacy
“Sucks to be them, I guess." Absolute Zero

Reinforcements (2)
One-Shot
Each Controlled Hero deals the hero with the highest HP 2 melee damage.
Shuffle the villain trash into the villain deck.
Play the top card of the villain deck.
Description: The Freedom Five standing at attention, their eyes glowing purple, Unity standing before them.
Quote: "Hey! Quit that! I’m on your side!" Unity

Crushing Will (2)
Ongoing
If a Controlled hero uses a power, they must discard (H)-1 cards.
If a Controlled hero plays a card, the Commander deals (H)-2 psychic damage to that hero.
Description: The Commander standing over a kneeling Militia, purple energy flaring from his head.
Quote: "You cannot resist my power!" The Commander

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a cool boss!

However, as of now it seems very susceptible to boss controlling heroes, like Wrath or Visionary.

In any case, great idea! I would love to try him if you manage to format with the custom card templates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the folder for The Commander's pdf.

http://www.mediafire.com/?byh8k95ydudim

I had to alter the Mind Control card since not all the text was fitting in the normal space, unless I shrank it, but then it was barely readable. So instead I just shrank the area for the picture, it's either that or remove the quote bubble. Cards can be changed to fit the text, as you'll see in IR, even Spite from Rook City has a unique card. Just as long as it doesn't happen to too many cards.

The (H) damage on Mind Control might be a bit much, will have to playtest this to find out, especially since it looks like they can pretty easily be shuffled back into the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Watson
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, Koga.
I'm still testing him out. It might need to be reduced, but so far it's his damage resistance that's been the problem more than his damage output .

I'll try some more games before making that decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed the icon for The Commander and Militia, made it look better than what I had it. The star tool in Illustrator creates an odd looking star, but was able to use the points of that star to make a better one.

EDIT:
I'll try to playtest him tomorrow at my game club. I've also fixed some minor things, replaced where it says "equals" with "=", went back to check some cards and they do use the equal sign instead of the word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems cool. I feel like maybe the Psychic Reinforcement Helmet should start the game discarded so he can only get it by flipping or cycling his deck. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.