flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this expansion actually produce a better game as compared to the original-

or...
-a longer game
-a quite different game
-a corrected original game
Or all four?

I have the original and have only played it once, solo, epic, just to get the hang of it. I don't want to run before can walk, but I have an opportunity to buy this expansion a little cheaper then list price.

Thanks for your time and thoughts..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this one is a true "expansion" in every sense of the word. Some games have expansions that are intended to rebalance things, or tweak rules, or whatever, to try and "fix" the base game. This one is not one of those. The base game could be played for a long time without it.

However, I do find that what the expansion does provide, while not "critical" to making the game work, makes the already awesome base game even more awesome. A lot of it is the "more" - more cards, more tiles, more units, etc. A few new options that are really cool, like the development cards and Road to Victory option.

I wouldn't classify it as a "must have", although I would definitely say it's worth picking up, as it really does enhance the game in a positive way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is always in the last place you look
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite things about the BoW expansion is the added season cards. This makes the seasonal events less 'gamey' as they are harder to predict.

The base game, as Scott stated, in no way needs this expansion and is solid in its own right. That said, I'm glad I own it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

However, I do find that what the expansion does provide, while not "critical" to making the game work, makes the already awesome base game even more awesome.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Scott.

Better - yes, more variety of units and the new event cards, alternate city set increases tactical options and replay value.
Longer - yes, the Road to Victory option gets rid of the instant win, which leads to longer games. The other options don't add any time
Different - not that different. Commanders and the new Garrison order is the only different/new order. Everything else just has more stuff.
Corrected - not really. No significant rules changes.

I love the Expansion, one thing I could do without is the flood token - it just limits and already limited map most of the time. Play the base game until you feel like you really want more stuff, then buy it. The one thing I think most people thought the expansion was missing was more factions. We'll have to wait and see about that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks folks- all very helpful and positive. Seems like I'll be getting expansion! hooray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkard
msg tools
mbmb
It's mostly just more but there are a few additions that make the game feel just right. The rest of it just expands the game into an even more epic one and gives you more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
I don't want to run before can walk, but I have an opportunity to buy this expansion a little cheaper then list price.

Thanks for your time and thoughts..

When I buy the game, I'll probably get the expansion at the same time for the sake of shipping. But I expect I'll play several games of the original before opening Banners of War. That way it'll feel fresh when I finally get around to opening the expansion. From that perspective, I'd say buy it now, because you can always wait till your ready before implementing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished my first (base) game, playing all four factions solo, to learn the Rules and see how the game fits together.
I floundered a bit for the first few years but it seemed to come together towards the end.

I still haven't quite got a handle on the relationship between heroes and armies (not much I guess, and how useful developments are. I will probably look for some hints in the BGG strategy section, although it's quite fun to learn by making your own mistakes, such as using (wasting) a combat card when all your troops have been activated.

I also get confused as to whether you can activate previously activated troops if they retreat to a an area- and somehow can be un-routed.

But I'm sure it will all fall into place at my next game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
I've just finished my first (base) game, playing all four factions solo, to learn the Rules and see how the game fits together.
I floundered a bit for the first few years but it seemed to come together towards the end.

I still haven't quite got a handle on the relationship between heroes and armies (not much I guess, and how useful developments are. I will probably look for some hints in the BGG strategy section, although it's quite fun to learn by making your own mistakes, such as using (wasting) a combat card when all your troops have been activated.

I also get confused as to whether you can activate previously activated troops if they retreat to a an area- and somehow can be un-routed.

But I'm sure it will all fall into place at my next game!

In the base game, other than the occasional special ability, there's no interaction between heroes and armies. Treat the heroes as an extra mini-game that can get you a significant number of Runes (via Timmoran Shards).

You never activate troops - you activate REGIONS. Then you can move eligible troops into that region. You can't move troops that are in a region with one of your own activation tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, while there is kind of a "disconnect" between the heroes and the armies for the most part, I have found that managing both effectively is an important part of winning. You CAN win by ignoring your heroes, but one who manages their heroes well is going to be at an advantage in many cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.