5 Posts

Go» Forums » Variants

Subject: 17 X 17 Goban? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
Traditional games that have survived the test of time and ancient games that have not are a part of our heritage.
badge
m'n - the Egyptian hieroglyph for board game, also signifying "stability" and used phonetically as in the last syllable of "Tutankhamun"
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of any commercially available 17 X 17 Go boards?

I am interested in trying to play Go really "old school".

I understand that 17 X 17 go is/was recently played in Tibet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smart Go Kifu for iOS has 17 x 17, as well as 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 and 19. Looks great on the iPad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lee
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, that's pretty niche. Most people who want to play Go variants use computers (most standard go programs let you choose whatever board size you want - but note that for Tibetan Go, you also need a special starting position and the Tibetan ko rule, which most servers don't offer as a choice). You should go ask on the Life in 19x19 forums. If anyone knows where to buy such a thing, they will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mazout wrote:
but note that for Tibetan Go, you also need a special starting position and the Tibetan ko rule, which most servers don't offer as a choice).

If your computer supports 17x17, you could make the first 12 moves in the designated spots, and you could make sure to follow the Tibetan ko rule even though the computer doesn't enforce it. However the 17x17 board was formerly popular in all of China. It was usually used with the regular Chinese rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lee
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
However the 17x17 board was formerly popular in all of China. It was usually used with the regular Chinese rules.

Hmm, not sure about this. Two archaeological digs have found 17x17 boards from thousands of years ago, is that what you mean? At that point go was undoubtedly played with stone-scoring rules rather than what we today call "Chinese" rules, which date from the Qing. At any rate, I doubt those boards are for sale!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.