Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the exact same discussion, and used a die to rule. Using two heroes, the quest was over before it even began (even though only two zombies made it through), and therefore we agreed that further on the cardinal would be rescued when the door opened.

This also made the most thematic sense, as the narrative text that is read aloud when the door is opened more than indicate that the cardinal is now fleeing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this quest twice and the heroes have never even managed to find the rune key before the Cardinal died. Two zombies (plus the master) both times. However, I have read the quest and remember that I was going to read the flavor text when the door opened but not allow him to move until a hero was adjacent.

No idea which one was intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say he's rescued when the door is opened. At the very least, the Overlord needs to start getting his reinforcements as soon as he's rescued, since otherwise the heroes would be able to kill all the zombies, then finish killing the other monsters, and heal the cardinal to full after everything's dead, with no pressure.

And yes, this is a very close quest. I (as the overlord) made a mistake that let Jain use her heroic feat to sprint in and kill both of the zombies that would have made it off the map next turn, leaving me with only one minion with the master. We all agreed that if it wasn't for that, and I had even just two zombies, it would have been a much harder battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paivinen
United States
San Jose Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose to interpret it as the Second Wave rules kick in as soon as the door is opened, but the Cardinal cannot begin moving until a hero is adjacent. The Setup seems to define everything related to the Cardinal very specifically, whereas the Second Wave includes flavor text and then gets sloppy about saying the Cardinal is rescued.

In the end, it didn't matter a lick as I had 3 zombies from the first encounter. The heroes barely made it into one of the rooms to search for the key before the Cardinal was dead. (And they were in the wrong room. Mwa-ha-ha-ha.)

We were playing with 3 heroes and I simply don't see how this Quest is winnable by the heroes, particularly if they can't keep at least 2 zombies from escaping during Encounter 1, which seems virtually impossible.

Of course the heroes made a tragic mistake in the 1st encounter by all going into the room to search for the Relic of Dawn. Since my open group was a Shadow Dragon, I just blocked the exit from the room. It took them a while to kill the dragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
knupug wrote:
I chose to interpret it as the Second Wave rules kick in as soon as the door is opened, but the Cardinal cannot begin moving until a hero is adjacent. The Setup seems to define everything related to the Cardinal very specifically, whereas the Second Wave includes flavor text and then gets sloppy about saying the Cardinal is rescued.

That seems to make it even more difficult (and it seems this one is hard enough already). Cinematically, it makes sense that the heroes break down the door, the Cardinal sees them and realizes escape may yet be possible, and just then the baddie reinforcements arrive.

In terms of difficulty, does having a hero hang out on the altar to try to stem the bleeding do any good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paivinen
United States
San Jose Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
In terms of difficulty, does having a hero hang out on the altar to try to stem the bleeding do any good?
They did have a hero at the altar spending one action a turn healing the good Cardinal. But with the attribute test preceding a random roll for health, it just wasn't enough when I had 4 Zombies doing damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game, having a hero on the altar spamming it every turn was critical to them winning. Unfortunately, I only managed to get one zombie off the map in the first encounter (I would have gotten two more off the map in the next turn if Jain hadn't used her heroic feat to sprint in and kill one zombie, then attack the other normally), so there wasn't much damage going on him to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregaria wrote:
We had the exact same discussion, and used a die to rule. Using two heroes, the quest was over before it even began (even though only two zombies made it through), and therefore we agreed that further on the cardinal would be rescued when the door opened.

This also made the most thematic sense, as the narrative text that is read aloud when the door is opened more than indicate that the cardinal is now fleeing.

I am new to the game and just came upon this conflict in the rules. My instincts are the same as the user whom I have quoted above. It makes sense from both a thematic and a "give the heroes a freakin' chance" perspective.

Did the game devs ever rule on this? It is a glaring rule contradiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
Gregaria wrote:

I am new to the game and just came upon this conflict in the rules. My instincts are the same as the user whom I have quoted above. It makes sense from both a thematic and a "give the heroes a freakin' chance" perspective.

Did the game devs ever rule on this? It is a glaring rule contradiction.

I think it's the very first thing listed in the FAQ. If you are new to the game, I would recommend checking out the FAQ as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butaman551 wrote:
I think it's the very first thing listed in the FAQ. If you are new to the game, I would recommend checking out the FAQ as soon as possible.

And to save you the time of going to the FAQ, they stated that he is "rescued" when the door is opened, and you do not have to end your turn next to him...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.