Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestions for my Next Party? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
So it looks like my friend is up for another go at the OL. So the question I have to those who enjoyed my session series, who should make my next party? I will be playing three heroes to change things up and give the OL access to more master monsters. Although I think that 3 might stretch my abilities to keep track of everything.

So here are the restrictions. No Tomble Burrowell or Avric Albright, and I don't want to use Thief or Disciple. Otherwise go at it and make my party for me . I also would like to win, so make an argument why this party might work.

Thanks,
Ken
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Necromancer seems to be fun to play, so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Healex
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Spiritspeaker, Mage, Beserker sounds like it would be an interesting party mix. (I would name characters too if I were at home with the sheets in front of me.).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
with a larger group, I'm curious to see how the Spiritspeaker plays. That class isn't so great with 2 heroes. A lot of players really like the Necromancer and his extra attacker. I still haven't seen the Knight nor the Runemaster in play so can't comment on them.

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shearer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
I enjoyed reading your writeups. Very glad to hear you are doing more!

Given your restrictions, if you want a healer (and I assume you do), then it has to be Ashrian as a Spiritspeaker. So there's one.

I have frankly seen and heard enough about the Necromancer for now (clearly the most popular class in the game at this point). To switch things up, let's have Leoric of the Book as a Runemaster.

I think someone requested a Berserker. I'll second that, and nominate Syndrael for the part.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad DeRan
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the Knight with not the dwarf, Leoric with necro and jain with wildlander.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Healex
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dionysos wrote:
I enjoyed reading your writeups. Very glad to hear you are doing more!

Given your restrictions, if you want a healer (and I assume you do), then it has to be Ashrian as a Spiritspeaker. So there's one.

I have frankly seen and heard enough about the Necromancer for now (clearly the most popular class in the game at this point). To switch things up, let's have Leoric of the Book as a Runemaster.

I think someone requested a Berserker. I'll second that, and nominate Syndrael for the part.


Doy! i meant runemaster as well. I agree 100% with this party selection

I too have a similar sentiment regarding the necromancer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ackbar117 wrote:
Use the Knight with not the dwarf.


I had no idea Yoda posted on this board?!?!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad DeRan
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Ackbar117 wrote:
Use the Knight with not the dwarf.


I had no idea Yoda posted on this board?!?!


I couldn't remember the woman warriors name. The reason for my choices is the knight can do damage with some of the abilities, but can protect the other characters with a lot of the other abilities. Her OPQ is awesome and can allow you to take the strategic positions you need in many quests. Leoric will protect just by being close enough, plus being the necro adds to the number of heroes so you are basically playing with 4 heroes instead of 3. Plus the reanimate does nice damage in the beginning and can be upgraded. And the wildlander because it will allow you do do some nice damage from range and you don't need to be too close up with that character to do damage, allowing one of your characters a longer lifespan than the others hopefully. So that would give you 2 nice melee and 2 nice ranged attackers. Plus using Jain and Syndraels OPQ in tantum is just nasty. You also have nice speed and no one under 4 fatigue or 4 movement.

The only drawback is 2 8 hp characters, but with the OPQ's i think that kind of offsets that as in most cases you can have syndrael use her OPQ move with jain, both use fatigue and possibly get 4 attacks in before the OL goes, and that is only if Leoric can't get close enough to summon the reanimate after moving and the Reanimate getting an attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Syndrael's special ability allows herself and a hero a free move. That's just fantastic, with her Speed of 4. Also, an Iron Longsword is a Red + Blue die AND its surge is to force the opponent to reroll. Sheesh! The Knight's beginning skill, Oath of Honor, allows her to move adjacent to a monster then attack it, if another hero is within 3 squares of her and is adjacent to a monster. If a monster is clogging the hallway and you have two heroes next to it, S can suddenly appear BEHIND the monster, whack it, then run off as her next action!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Syndrael's special ability allows herself and a hero a free move. That's just fantastic, with her Speed of 4. Also, an Iron Longsword is a Red + Blue die AND its surge is to force the opponent to reroll. Sheesh! The Knight's beginning skill, Oath of Honor, allows her to move adjacent to a monster then attack it, if another hero is within 3 squares of her and is adjacent to a monster. If a monster is clogging the hallway and you have two heroes next to it, S can suddenly appear BEHIND the monster, whack it, then run off as her next action!


Behind the monster only because that's the next closest adjacent space in certain instances or does the text of the card state something specific about placement?

Edit: I just read the text. Closest empty adjacent space well maybe behind the monster in certain cases... I'll have to watch for that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Fox
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, I am playing Widow Tara as a necromancer and Ashania ( I think that's her name) as a disciple. I really like both these characters. Widow Tara heals if she kills a monster, which is always helpful, and I like the familiar. Ashania's ability to stun adjacent minions has been very powerful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.