Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Hey all,

I recently got a great deal on some core sets, so I picked up 4 of them. My plan is to keep a playset of each card and auction off the last pack with the extras.

That being said, I know there are some core set cards that I will want more than 3 of. Is there a generally-agreed upon list of cards that are really strong, and people wish they had more? My collection will be the source for decks, so stuff that would be desirable for more than 1 deck is what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Snow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming we're talking just one deck per faction, there'd still be the question of whether you'll be playing with just core set cards. That might mean a demand for some neutrals, like Armoury, which won't be interesting in a larger card pool.

In any case, you can never have enough copies of Warpstone Excavation and Contested Village. They can be found in almost every competitive deck. I'd also keep all copies of Burn It Down and Pilgrimage. Maybe Innovation too, but it is restricted like Warpstone Excavation, and most decks choose WE over Innovation.

If you're interesting in including cross-faction cards in your decks, extras of certain powerful faction-specific cards might worth keeping too: Church of Sigmar, Dwarf Cannon Crew, Grimgor Ironhide, Judgement of Verena, Lobber Crew, Master Rune of Valaya, Peasant Militia, Pillage, Rip Dere 'Eads Off!, Troll Slayers, Troll Vomit. Some of these again depend on whether or not you'll expand the card pool though, and most of them are also the ones that'll generate the most interest at an auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Planetary wrote:
Assuming we're talking just one deck per faction, there'd still be the question of whether you'll be playing with just core set cards. That might mean a demand for some neutrals, like Armoury, which won't be interesting in a larger card pool.

I'm probably interested in getting together 1 deck/faction. As of now, I'm just planning to get the cores, AoU, and maybe 1 CP cycle (though who am I kidding - I'll get it all eventually).

Do the factions have a variety of playstyles that I might want to create more than one deck/faction? Or do they all have 1 main play style that just comes in different flavors?

I also like in-faction cards better than out-of-faction (at least, I do in Game of Thrones, though I'm more familiar with the source material).

And the auction was going to be more of an enhanced core set targeted at a new player interested in playing with some enhanced deck-building options more than the duplicates as a separate lot to people trying to build up their collection. I got each core set for $10 at the B&N sale, so I'm mostly trying to pass that savings along instead of make a quick buck.

Thanks for the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Snow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
Do the factions have a variety of playstyles that I might want to create more than one deck/faction? Or do they all have 1 main play style that just comes in different flavors?

With a larger cardpool they all develop alternative approaches, yes. Though I'd say you don't need to maintain say both an Orc rush and an Orc control deck. Just have one Orc deck and exchange some of the cards to take it in a new direction when you want to try something different.

So I'd say just keep the extra Warpstone Excavations, Contested Villages, and Burn It Downs (optionally Pilgrimage too), and auction off the rest of the fourth core set. The buyer will be disappointed if he ever wants to build competitive decks and finds he is missing those, but it's not a problem for casual play, and with all those extras from the other sets it should be a good way to check out the game and already have deckbuilding options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.