United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm posting this without $ in mind, since A) singles are and will be available and B) you could borrow what you needed.

This is a highly defensive build designed for Kalteros the Sellsword (Load in strong, best choice IMO) or Valnar Trueblade (mobility). You're bringing highly durable pieces to the field and keeping them alive. Your burrowers make most frontal assaults a risky exercise. Your clerics and defenders mitigate lightweight ranged attacks. You're basically mitigating damage from attacks and stockpiling order cards for a big close, and ideally taking out a few lightweight pieces belonging to your opponent.

3x Dwarven Defender
3x Dwarf Cleric
2x Earth Guardian
2x Umber Hulk
2x War Wizard

Standard Actions (12):
2x Killing Blow (finishers)
4x Disrupting Attack (Offense/Discard)
2x Invigorating Smash (Offense/Healing)
2x Battle Ready (Defense)
2x Stealth (surprise/big finish)

Minor Actions (8)
4x Into the Fray (mobility)
2x Arcane Ritual (card draw)
2x Feint (eliminate damage prevention)

Immediates (10)
3x Defend Ally (damage prevention)
2x Shield (damage prevention)
3x Intercept (damage prevention)
2x Seize the Opportunity (damage prevention, retailate)

If you haven't frustrated the other player into a bad move, the big play is stealth on the Umber Hulks to drop in next to the key enemy pieces with a feint and a subsequent Killing Blow. Most of the band and card selection is designed to stay on the field and keep alive.

You'll lose out on treasure chests, but don't have as much to worry about in terms of monster loss.

You do have to worry about AoE. A lot of your strategy involves damage mitigation through keeping your pieces tightly clustered. Fortunately, there is only one AoE attack at present (fireball) that can be delivered at a significant range.

A mirror match also represents a challenge; using slides to disrupt their grouping in order to make clerics vulnerable is key.

Anyhow, fun to muse on. I'm sure better ideas will come along as we see more sets get released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tatroe
United States
Windsor
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Great stuff!

It's a bit slow to get going -- especially if you have an early Creature draw that has no Dwarven Defenders (imagine a 2x Umber Hulk, Earth Guardian initial Creature draw, playing with Valnar -- you'd need to lose your Hulk or draw into a smaller creature quickly to stand a chance!).

Given that, you might consider dropping 1x War Wizard and putting in 3x Elf Archers instead. War Wizard is also a pretty heavy investment w/o any Int cards in the deck to support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm figuring that all of it changes up as more pieces enter the mix, but I see your thinking. Honestly, Kalteros is the better commander choice for getting pieces on the field... and you'll probably sacrifice a little morale gain for some extra cards. There are a couple INT cards.... 2 Arcane Ritual and Shield. I don't go heavy into INT, because there aren't enough targets for it. Stealthing Umber Hulks is the big deal here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Howard
msg tools
badge
... he's off the twig.
mbmbmbmbmb
3x Dwarven Defender
3x Dwarf Cleric
2x Earth Guardian
2x Umber Hulk
2x War Wizard

How does this warband play out?

Looks good on paper, but to me there are too many high level creatures.

It could be very vulnerable in the openning rounds, particularly to low-level swarm style warbands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
bugging_bear wrote:
3x Dwarven Defender
3x Dwarf Cleric
2x Earth Guardian
2x Umber Hulk
2x War Wizard

How does this warband play out?

Looks good on paper, but to me there are too many high level creatures.

It could be very vulnerable in the openning rounds, particularly to low-level swarm style warbands.

Couldn't tell you, its mostly concept at the moment and really just about saving up for a big finish. It probably is too high level, and I expect the War wizards would have to drop in favor of lower level pieces. The number of orders and creatures available is pretty low, and will be til mid-winter, so I wouldn't expect that I'd be running anything resembling this by the time I was ready to play in a tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Stealth + Killing strike looks like a good option.
probably want 4 elf archers in the team, Just to mop up any low level enemies. Be really annoying to kill two 100hp driders & not get the win because a level-1 spider survied...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
XAos wrote:
Stealth + Killing strike looks like a good option.
probably want 4 elf archers in the team, Just to mop up any low level enemies. Be really annoying to kill two 100hp driders & not get the win because a level-1 spider survived...

Maybe, but I think you're already doomed if a L1 spider threatens you that much.

I'd pass on the Elf Archers for this, and certainly not 4. I might downgrade the war wizards to Drow Wizards to get a good ranged attack on the field sooner, but that's about it. If they're sending in lightweight melee, you're well-equipped to handle it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.