Subject: A major flaw within the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: lepidopterists [+] [View All]
Jeff Shaeffer
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Let me start off by saying that I love the game. It is very inventive in so many ways. Let me also say I don't mind a certain amount of luck within the structure of a game. Any time you have dice you will invite luck as part of the outcome.

The issue I have concerns the VPs you get after a battle. I have played 2 & 4 person games and it appears that no matter what angle I choose or how I spend my time building ships or engaging in battle the game is always won hbased on those random points gathered from the little black bag.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone feel the same as I do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an incentive to fight early and fight often. The more fighting in any given game, then less luck plays a factor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
budarooski wrote:
Let me start off by saying that I love the game. It is very inventive in so many ways. Let me also say I don't mind a certain amount of luck within the structure of a game. Any time you have dice you will invite luck as part of the outcome.

The issue I have concerns the VPs you get after a battle. I have played 2 & 4 person games and it appears that no matter what angle I choose or how I spend my time building ships or engaging in battle the game is always won hbased on those random points gathered from the little black bag.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone feel the same as I do?

Just checking in to make sure that you are only keeping one of the tiles. You can draw up to 5 tiles, but only get to keep 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still not sure why they just didn't have a fixed value for victory. Such an epic game with some very odd luck mechanics thrown in...like this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the more often you fight, and more successful your battles, the more and more often you draw tiles to pick from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
It's an incentive to fight early and fight often. The more fighting in any given game, then less luck plays a factor...

unless you always draw 1's

which I do.

F this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some variance in what you draw from the bag. I've drawn 3 chips early in the game and got 1, 1, 2. I've drawn 1 chip late in the game and pulled a 4 (this was a 2-player game, though, so we hadn't pulled that many chips, let alone all the good chips). However, by the end of the game, I don't think there's that much variance, mostly because by the end of the game you've had a chance to replace any crappy draws you've had. Usually I end up with my share of 4's, mostly 3's, and maybe a 2 or two. This can easily be outweighed by, say, a monolith or losing ring 1 hex. If your games are being decided by reputation draws, your group must be really good at balancing each other.

I like the reputation mechanic. Firstly, it is the only victory component that is hidden and variable. This keeps people from calculating exactly what is needed to win the game. Secondly, it motivates fighting early. Eurogamers have the tendency of build now, fight later (or never). Gearing up to take on ancients within the first few turns means players have the capacity to war on each other pretty much as soon as they make contact. This leads to a more interactive, dynamic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Improve your odds by upgrading + to hit on your ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just fight more! By the end of a game, you will usually end up with at least half of the tokens as a "4".

This is a great idea, because it gives everyone an incentive to be aggressive, to interact with the other players. Usually, the VP gathered this way make up 25-33% of a player's total VP. So if you dont fight often, you are missing out on a huge scoring opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HolyGigi wrote:
Just fight more! By the end of a game, you will usually end up with at least half of the tokens as a "4".

Completely impossible, there are only four "4" tokens, how could six players all have two each?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didnt say all players will get them, I said that if you fight more, you will usually end up with them.

The fact is, the more you fight, the more chances you have of getting a 4 or a 3. If you only engage in 3-4 fights the entire game, you are at the luck of the draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Still not sure why they just didn't have a fixed value for victory. Such an epic game with some very odd luck mechanics thrown in...like this one.

Fixed scoring wouldn't award early combat, but most importantly the current rules don't allow for counting every single point at the end of the game which creates significant AP and a King of the Hill scenario...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hart

Rockford
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is something to be said about the reveal at the end of the game. You can have an idea of what others are scoring, but those hidden VPs prevent you from knowing exactly what the score is. I like the fact that there can be a point swing that changes the result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't see how this is a flaw. Not broken, no fix needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HolyGigi wrote:
I didnt say all players will get them, I said that if you fight more, you will usually end up with them.

Can't be. What if everyone fights more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Combat rewards are random, which is bad. but palyer skill can still apply.
If you get above average combat rewards, you can settle for average VP's score from the rest of the game mechansisms.
If you get below average combat rewards, you need to take more risks from other options.

Whilst it's random, you do know you own combat rewards, as per other players advice, fight early. And then adjust stategy depending on the result of the early reward draws.

A lot of races only have 4 places on their reward track and some of those will be diplomats. For those races the total contribution to game score is rarely high.
It's only for races like Orion (5 rewards) that combat becomes dominant. Orion really should be fighting early & often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cosgrove
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I can understand the sentiment, but this is actually one of the less appreciated masterstrokes of the game.

What you're seeing here is the probability and dynamics of blind draw without replacement. It isn't used in many games at all and certainly not to achieve what Eclipse does with it.

In its simplest form, the odds are weighted to reward the following behaviour very highly:

+ launch a large PvP attack as soon as one presents itself (by which I mean BOTH SIDES are sizeable)
+ Take the galactic centre early

Then the following behaviour:

+ Destroy ancients very early
+ Harass players regularly and as early as possible

Then, interestingly, the following behaviour:

+ Deploy enough early defence to invite potential attack but win decisively (using tech switch can be devastating here)

And, finally, this behaviour:

+ Ensure you can attempt any of the above multiple times if required. Because when you DO get a bad outcome, if you've got it under the above circumstances, you've just removed poor results from the bag and if you've moved quick enough, another shot at the bag just got MORE valuable.

It DISincentivises the following:

- Building up medium-large fleets that you cannot reliably use aggressively
- escalate forces into end game without engagement
- invest heavily in forces after turn 8 starts (assuming that the other players have been responding according to the incentives above and with the noted exception of where a critical VP location must be held)
- Ignore technology-based upgrades
- Suicide missions
- Extensive use of sacrificial pinning to steamroll
- Extensive preparation for a 'one trick pony' attack

This is the genius of a system that uses an easily learned blind distribution on a non-replace pull, where the scale of the victory adjusts the hand drawn. While simple, it actually generates COMPLEX player incentives, partly BECAUSE the outcome is uncertain each time. I know of no other system that so effortlessly generates such a rich spectrum of viable strategic motivations for combat from such a simple base.

So, in short, I understand WHY you think that. But I think if you look deeper, you'll see why I disagree.

- Omni
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
HolyGigi wrote:

Can't be. What if everyone fights more?

This is impossible. How can everyone in a game "fight more"? Who will, then, have "fought less"? The ancients?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
There's plenty of flaws within the game. I don't find this to be one of them though. If you don't want rep tile luck, why would you want any luck? So then why are you playing a game with luck in it?

BTW the main flaws are the imbalances in alien races and in missile combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtrein wrote:
This is impossible. How can everyone in a game "fight more"? Who will, then, have "fought less"? The ancients?

I though he was recommending that people "fight more than they otherwise would", in order to get more draws.

It's not a possible strategy to "fight more than everyone else", because what if all of your opponents decide to do that as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
There's plenty of flaws within the game. I don't find this to be one of them though. If you don't want rep tile luck, why would you want any luck? So then why are you playing a game with luck in it?

BTW the main flaws are the imbalances in alien races and in missile combat.

I haven't used the alien races yet.

Combat with missiles is unbalanced. That's not a flaw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh... no! I recommended to fight more in order to get more VP draws. If you only fight 4 times the entire game, you would have seen 4 tokens at the end of the game (give or take, based on you destroying something)

Probability tells us that you will average 6VP from them. If you want to increase these odds, all you have to do is engage in more combat. Simple as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HolyGigi wrote:
Probability tells us that you will average 6VP from them. If you want to increase these odds, all you have to do is engage in more combat. Simple as that.

But if all six players use this strategy, it's impossible that they will all get two "4" tokens each. There aren't enough---not even close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
HolyGigi wrote:

But if all six players use this strategy, it's impossible that they will all get two "4" tokens each. There aren't enough---not even close.

So you're saying it's going to come down to luck of the draw again?

If everyone else is fighting, maybe you should be the one not fighting... I don't know. I don't think it's a flaw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
instead I thought that you shouldn't take reputation tiles just for participating in the battle, in this way, also who make a defensive play, gets points just because it is attacked!!

thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.