United States
Vashon
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Noli me tangere, Caesaris sum.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state:

"If the Werewolves ever achieve parity (equal number of Villagers/Seer to Werewolves) with the Villagers, the Werewolves win . . . ."

I am wondering how the parity rule applies to special roles, particularly the Werewolf Team roles. For example, does the Sorcerer count as a werewolf for purposes of determining parity? Say there are only two Villagers, a Werewolf, and the Sorcerer left alive. Have the Werewolves won?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
The sorcerer does not count as a werewolf, so in the parity calculation they are a villager. I don't recall the suggested voting system in the UW book, I use my own, or whatever the group likes. So in the example you mention the voting mechanic really decides how the sorcerer needs to play that endgame. The sorcerer wants to be the person lynched, that way he ensures that the wolf survives to the night and can eat a villager, achieve parity, and win the game for them both. And the wolf does not have to trust anyone as a villager could try fake claiming as a sorcerer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter who the wolf trusts:

Sorcerer says "Kill me, I'm the Sorc."
Villager says "Kill me, I'm the Sorc."
Wolf kills Sorcerer: Parity achieved. Wolf team wins.
Wolf kills Villager: Total village annihilation. Wolf team wins.

For it to be interesting, the villager could instead be a Parity Hunter.

[Edit: As for the original question, most games I run are such that only the Werewolves count. But, depending on other roles and number of players and roles per team, it could go the other way sometimes.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chibigouazou wrote:
I am wondering how the parity rule applies to special roles, particularly the Werewolf Team roles. For example, does the Sorcerer count as a werewolf for purposes of determining parity?

Only wolves. This includes Werewolves, Wolf Cub, a promoted Cursed or Dreamwolf, and a Doppelganger Werewolf. The Lone Wolf should probably count too, I think. The Sorcerer and Minion do not.

chibigouazou wrote:
Say there are only two Villagers, a Werewolf, and the Sorcerer left alive. Have the Werewolves won?

Not yet, but depending on your tiebreak rules it might be unwinnable for the village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally quite like non-wolf evils who count for parity as long as there's a real wolf alive, but that's a variant rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.