Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got done playing Seasons for the first time on BoardGameArena and I have to say my initial impression is very positive! Even though I was playing in "Beginner Mode" (using a certain set of starter cards), I was able to string together some pretty cool combos. For example, toward the end of the game, I was trailing my opponent by about a dozen crystals but I knew I had quite a big advantage in end-game crystals coming soon from the cards in my tableau. As a result, I wanted to end the game as quickly as possible to prevent him from playing more cards and catching up! I was able to play one card that forced each player to recall a magical item card from their tableau back into their hand and then immediately play my recalled magical item again. In my case the item was the Temporal Boots which I used to advance the marker on the season track three spaces and effectively end the game one turn earlier. It actually served a dual purpose, as it forced my opponent to repay the required energy cost to get his magical item back in play on his next turn as well.

The cards are really the core of each game and I'm looking forward to checking out some of the more powerful "Advanced Level" cards

Overall, I think the game has a lot of potential with its brilliant artwork (sorry to beat a dead horse, but it's true!) and unique mechanics. The "lifelines" (Bonus Actions) allotted to each player ensure that you'll always be able to do something productive on your turn, whether it be quickly cashing in energy for a crap-load of crystals or setting yourself up for a killer combo in the future, but players must consider the negative and opportunity costs associated with each chosen action. Like many games, efficiency is key and the player who best manages time (on the season track) and resources (energy and crystals) will likely come out on top.

If anyone else has any thoughts to add based on their BGA (or prototype) experiences, feel free to add them below! I know I can't be the only one looking for more detailed descriptions of actual gameplay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've already said in another topic,but for me it's not a good game.
It's long,and there nothing interesting if you don't play the cards.
The problem is that you don't always play the cards.
Sometime you've already played all the cards you have in few turn ,and then the game is boring : you collect ressources,transmute in VP (if you can !) or you beg for drawing cards (if you can !).
Usually the player who played the higher number of cards wins.
Also some cards are far more powerful than others.
Also the luck is important in the game.

so basically,what you have is a random,often boring game with some combos that sometimes you can play,but everything is too long for what it is.

The cards are nice,but don't be distracted by the look : the game in it's core isn't interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
i've already said in another topic,but for me it's not a good game.
It's long,and there nothing interesting if you don't play the cards.
The problem is that you don't always play the cards.
Sometime you've already played all the cards you have in few turn ,and then the game is boring :

To each his own I guess... While it's true that you can probably play your three power cards within the first half of each year (depending on how fast the seasons are progressing), it isn't always wise to do so. Sometimes it may be more valuable to stockpile a few of those air energy to cash in for max crystals in the summer instead of spending them in the winter or spring to activate a power card.

Belsamoreth wrote:
you collect ressources,transmute in VP (if you can !) or you beg for drawing cards (if you can !).

True, but isn't that how many resource management games work? To use Agricola as an example, one turn you're cashing in your stockpiled wood for a dozen fences and the next you may simply be taking a single reed. It's that teeter-tooter of spend-save-spend-save that players need to optimize.

Belsamoreth wrote:
Usually the player who played the higher number of cards wins. Also some cards are far more powerful than others.

I can't really comment on this since I've only played one game, but I feel like the draft at the beginning gives players a somewhat equal opportunity to grab the more powerful cards. Also, while one card by itself might be more powerful, it seems like there are some two card combos that easily trump it (e.g. in the game I played, two of my cards together allowed me to activate any power cards with a cost of two energy or less for free while also exchanging a potentially less-desirable energy for one that I needed!)

Belsamoreth wrote:
Also the luck is important in the game.

There is obviously some luck involved with the dice, but I didn't think it had a significant impact on the outcome of the game. If your desired action is not included on the available dice, you can always use one of your bonus actions to ensure you can do what you want when you want.

Belsamoreth wrote:
so basically,what you have is a random,often boring game with some combos that sometimes you can play,but everything is too long for what it is.

The cards are nice,but don't be distracted by the look : the game in it's core isn't interesting.

Again, to each his own. You aren't required to like the game Just thought I'd play devil's advocate for those looking for some different opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Chiappa
United States
lincoln park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tried on BGA... and i find it amazing.
I really like the first stage with the drafting and planning...

Cards + Dices ?.. complain about the random ?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garbagerunner wrote:

Again, to each his own. You aren't required to like the game Just thought I'd play devil's advocate for those looking for some different opinions.

yeah sure.
But i will give the game more chance,and play more with the draft rules

Also the online experience isn't the better i think.

also i was a bit rude with my first impressions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
garbagerunner wrote:

yeah sure.

I for one appreciate an honest first impression. I'd like some good critical reviews from people who haven't been beguiled by the art (like me...oooooh! Shiny!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:

I for one appreciate an honest first impression. I'd like some good critical reviews from people who haven't been beguiled by the art (like me...oooooh! Shiny!)

Agreed.

I've had a chance to play the game several more times since my initial post and while I still really enjoy it, it's certainly not perfect and there are some things that may be an issue for some people, particularly if they are playing in-person rather than online:

1. Downtime in 4-player games

While some turns will go very quickly as players simply collect energy in preparation for future actions, other turns may take some time as players carry out complex combos they've been building towards. While this shouldn't be too much of an issue in 2 or 3-player games, things might start to drag a bit in 4-player games (especially when you're actually playing the game in-person instead of having the computer do all the resource payments/scoring adjustments for you).

2. Lots of "little bonuses" to keep track of

The cards are a big part of the game as they provide a variety of bonuses to help players throughout the seasons. When playing online, the computer automatically keeps track of all these bonuses and prompts players when certain actions need to be taken. In person, these bonuses will likely be more difficult to keep track of or, at the very least, require more time to assess each turn.

Personally, this point reminds me a lot of Race for the Galaxy. I can't tell you how many times I've forgetten to draw a card when I settle

3. Practicality of crystal track

I don't think any of the pictures on Season's BGG page depict the game's final components so this point might be irrelevant, but the design of the crystal track might cause minor problems. The spaces seem quite close together and with players' crystal supplies frequently changing and dice frequently rolling, it wouldn't take much to bump the board and displace all the little cubes... Maybe I'm just being picky, but I think a magnetic crystal track would have been really cool or a cribbage-esque board with pegs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
garbagerunner wrote:

yeah sure.

Sir... yes you sir... deserve some geek gold... bagbagbag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.