Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a light-medium game that could be a go-to staple when we want to play something light, but yet still have depth, and clocks in around 60-90. We are also wanting it to scale well.

Right now the staple game with the above requirements that we play is Pergamon. Glen More also fit the bill, but got traded due to me having one too many square tile games (Carc, Carson City, Goa, etc.). Alhambra we have not gotten for the same reason.

So should we get Pastiche or Finca to fill that gap as the second go-to light-medium staple, or is there a better game you can suggest?

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pastiche is a bit more abstract, so that might sway your decision.

Other than that, I'm hard pushed to recommend one over the other. My wife and I Really enjoy both s lot.

Finca as had a lot more table time, but that's simply because we've only recently bought Pastiche.

If someone was holding a gun to my head, I'd have to go with Finca. If there was no gun, well I'd keep both.

I'd add I prefer Finca to Pergamon, not that that means much.

So my vote is for Finca.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have Finca and played it many times... I have played Pastiche once.

I forget how long it took to play pastiche but i can advise that Fince can be done and dusted in 30 - 45 minutes. 2 player Finca is superb, 3 is good, 4 is a bit chaotic for my liking (others seem to like this though).

I'd have to agree with the post above in that pastiche is more abstract.. i found it an "ok" game only..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Finca

Definitely Finca. I really like how it plays with the different player counts. It is easy to teach, the components are great, and the game play/mechanics are straight forward, but there is a lot of deeper strategy at play. I really enjoy it with non-gamer friends and family and gamers alike. Play is dynamic, fun, and even a bit exciting at times.

I also own and have played Pastiche, but some people can get really stuck with AP when placing tiles to gather the necessary paints. Although the theme and components are nice and the game is visually appealing, but the visual-spacial part can really throw some people. Overall, the game comes up dry and a bit boring when playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.