Subject: Expand Ticket to Ride: India or USA 1910? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, i own Ticket to ride and play it with my girlfriend. We only play 2-player (when we are more players we play other games). Im thinking about expanding the game so what would be the best buy for us? The India expansion (where you also get the Switzerland map) or USA 1910?

Or is Nordic countries far better for 2-player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the Switzerland map is hopelessly broken. I would go for Nordic Countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Hi, i own Ticket to ride and play it with my girlfriend. We only play 2-player (when we are more players we play other games). Im thinking about expanding the game so what would be the best buy for us? The India expansion (where you also get the Switzerland map) or USA 1910?

Or is Nordic countries far better for 2-player?

FYI, I dunno what you guys pay in Sweden for games, but for comparison's sake, I'll use US prices...

+cheapest at $20 MSRP
+deemed to be the most balanced
+simpliest (no extra mechanics to deal with)

-not much variety, as it's still the same US map
-People who can draw long destination tickets come out ahead, so that can be broken there
-on a personal note, I've played US map to death, so I try to avoid it like the plague

India/Swiss
+probably more familiar for you folks given Sweden geography
+still sorta cheap at $25
+comes with 2 games
+India is nice and tight layout
+Mandala bonus is the most novel TtR concept to date

-Swiss does devolve to a ticket drawfest.... even more than 1910 *

* some argue that the premise of TtR is it's a big luckfest anyways (e.g. people who start off with more locos, or are able to draw them come out ahead; in 1910, people who draw the long routes come out ahead), so with that in mind, you may be able to enjoy TtR Swiss for what it is

NC
+fun map
+balanced map

-most expensive... it costs $50 since it comes with its own train cards and trains

Verdict
first pick
1) NC - since I do like that map best.. if you can get over the higher cost
2) India/Swiss - if cost is a concern, India is also delightful
3) 1910 - IMO, you're better off getting a brand new map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Sagel
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Ticket to Ride, you'll be happy with whatever expansion you decide to get - they're all great (well, maybe except Switzerland, for reasons mentioned by previous posters).

My pick would be the USA 1910 expansion. Same map, same rules, better ticket balance. If you want a game with more blocking/choke points, play the Big Cities variant.

While all the new maps provide variety just by being a new map (and I'm a sucker for maps, so this should appeal to me!), most of them also introduce some "clunky" rules that I dislike - they take away from the superb elegance of the original game. (Examples: Neighbouring countries in Switzerland, 3-for-1 or 4-for-1 trading in Nordic)

In the end it's all a matter of taste. I hope my reasons help you decide which expansion you and your girlfriend will like best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

India/Swiss

Sweden does not equal neither Switzerland nor India. It's a classic mistake so you're not alone, but still I sit here laughing out loud! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohhh, another thing worth mentioning is the dynamics of the 3p maps (Swiss and NC) are different since locomotives only count as 1 card when drawn from the face up pile (so u can grab 2 of them from the face up pile), but canNOT be used for regular routes! Only for tunnels and ferries (latter for NC only)

Fomalhaut wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

India/Swiss

Sweden does not equal neither Switzerland nor India. It's a classic mistake so you're not alone, but still I sit here laughing out loud! laugh
I actually did notice that... I was moreso going for the fact that Switzerland is still alot closer to you guys than it is for Americans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info all! Since I want the best 2-player experience I´ll think I´ll go for Nordic Countries rather than expanding the core game.

Now I must ask myself if I really need two Ticket to ride-games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:

You will probably find that you need three, or four, or even six TtR games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Wata
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Thanks for the info all! Since I want the best 2-player experience I´ll think I´ll go for Nordic Countries rather than expanding the core game.

With NC you'll get a set of purple trains, that will allow for 6 player game on USA and Europe maps (more cutthroat, more fun! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you and your girlfriend love TtR, but want variety at the same time you do need more than one. You can feel fresher yet deliver an experience you know you both enjoy.

I know I'm late to the party but let me say that 1910 is a real expansion to the game you currently play. Same game new choices.

Then there are the Map expansions. Not really expanding your TtR but using it's trains. Different game same feel.

Then there are new games, Europe and Märklin Edition. New games in everything you need is in the box. these add different elements you not used to. (tunnels, train stations, passengers, etc.)

Don't know your Hobby level but you might want to check out some of the fan expansions as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard L
Australia
Woy Woy
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fomalhaut wrote:
eatem wrote:

You will probably find that you need three, or four, or even six TtR games...

I'm with you Sven! We have all the TtR variants and love them all in their separate ways.

My wife particularly likes Märklin for the Passengers, I love India for the Mandala.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Seaborne
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two: the original North America, and the Europe game. And, when funds allow, will expand my collection. The variety of challenges is what helps keeps the games alive for my friends and I. Eventually I hope to have all the games and map based expansions (not too bothered about things like Alvin and MArtin or the card and dice based versions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natanya_uk wrote:
Alvin and MArtin

I think Alvin and Martin were a comedy duo in the 30's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.