Popular Tags: [View All]
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday i was surprised to learn (in a hot deal thread!) that two new armies have just been released as in-app purchases for the iOS version. Vegas and Smart are still on sale for 99 cent (0,79€) each - a steal.

not even knowing about the tiles of the new armies, i tried my first game - i played vegas and lost 0:20(!!) vs the hegemony. bummer yuk!
but the second game went better. defeated new york. just by two points or so, but hey, i'm learning . vegas is really fun to play, and i noticed that the AI took almost twice as much time to think about its moves. especially against vegas. maybe this is because of the all-time danger of you own tiles being bribed when playing against vegas.
The deal about Vegas really is the bribing mechanism. It's great fun to use you enemies units against him... ninja

i still have to try Smart. not sure how strong they are, but the hq's special ability (units connected gain a move action) makes them a really hard to attack defense-team. i think. maybe i'm all wrong. i will find out in the next days .

what are your impressions?

edited for less typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great you like Vegas. They are really hard to master, but also really fun once you learn how to use them.

Smart is also interesting, maybe a bit easier to learn its tricks. It's very effective at defending its HQ and when you get the battle tile you can change your units formation to deliver a deadly blow to your enemy's HQ by repositioning tiles. Initial HQ placement (as always to be honest) is very important, because you won't probably have a chance to reposition it (only one Move tile).

Here's a short promotional video for this update:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:
Initial HQ placement (as always to be honest) is very important, (...)

same goes for Vegas. being the first one to deploy HQ sucks, since its special ability only works in one direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clawf1ng3r wrote:
same goes for Vegas. being the first one to deploy HQ sucks, since its special ability only works in one direction.

Doesn't really suck that much You can always rotate your HQ to the right direction because you know what army you fight against and where will your opponent place its HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you set up a game against random teams (i usually do that - in this case, i picked vegas and gave the AI a random army) and have to go first, you don't know your enemy, do you? or wait - is it possible to see this in the game stats menu? i'll check this tonight.

but yes, vegas has enough turn/move tiles to compensate this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you do know your enemy Just open statistics (bottom-right on iPhone and > symbol on the panel on iPad) and check who you play against But anyway, best position for Vegas in in the corner pointing to the center of the board (if you go first).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh, look at that. after 3 games, i thought best position was not in the middle but in the "inner ring".
but i'll try digging in in one corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inner ring is best for Neojungle (if first), because you can later use Castling tile to hide in the corner and switch places with one of your units. It's also good for The Outpost and Smart when they go second and opponent hides in the corner - you keep you distance (both armies have mostly long range units) and can still use you HQ ability (6 adjacent hexes receive bonus from HQ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Vegas is a good spoiler army. You get to mess with other players placements and use their units against them. I've played online against Vegas five times and Vegas won two out of five. One was a very low damage game. The best Vegas performance was winning a 4 player in which two armies were eliminated. It takes smart play to win with Vegas since your initiative is generally low, but if you concentrate on using the strengthnof other armies against them you can do very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gobbeg wrote:
if you concentrate on using the strengthnof other armies against them you can do very well.

given you draw the right tiles at the right moment.
by now, it happened to me quite a few times that i drew only action tiles when i needed units and vice versa.
but when the whole bribing thing works, it's just great .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clawf1ng3r wrote:
gobbeg wrote:
if you concentrate on using the strengthnof other armies against them you can do very well.

by now, it happened to me quite a few times that i drew only action tiles when i needed units and vice versa.
but when the whole bribing thing works, it's just great .

The trick is not minding to draw only instant action tiles

But seriously, even with action tiles only you can do well. Try discarding all but move (or rotate) - this will give you upper hand when your opponent places their unit which you'll be able to bribe in the next move. And if all of them are useless - discard all of them. I often see people keeping a useless Battle tile hoping they will draw some great unit next time and play Battle tile after placing this unit. This is wishful thinking and your chance to draw something great while keeping some other tiles in your hand is really low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Quote:

I almost said the same thing in my comment, but when I thought about it, this is true of all the armies...

And, as always, it's a game of making the most of what you're dealt. Sometimes you get a situation that you can't do anything with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gobbeg wrote:
Sometimes you get a situation that you can't do anything with.

true, true.

just in case any "newbie" reads this: to me, NH is not so much about winning. sometimes you get beaten up pretty bad - then just start another game. but some of my most exciting and fun games were games i lost by just some points.
winning is not so important if the game entertains you as good as NH usually does. just one more reason why i like it so much .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes you can't do anything, that's true - but I had such situations like 5-10 times through my all games (and I've played hundreds od games). Most of the time you can do a lot Even if you get a hand which does not look promising, you can always somehow prepare yourself for what's to come. In almost all of my games when I win or lose it's because of other player or my mistakes, not luck. And even after playing so many times so far I stil learn some new moves - I think that's the true beauty of NSHex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KYEO
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if there will be achievements added for the new armies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Will these armies be added to the Android version of the game as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
Will these armies be added to the Android version of the game as well?

Yes, we're working on it. And guessing your next question, yes, we're also working on adding online cross-platfrom multiplayer to Android version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:
Yes, we're working on it. And guessing your next question, yes, we're also working on adding online cross-platfrom multiplayer to Android version

So awesome!

Any chance that we'll eventually see some other Portal games ported over to Android (okay, and iOS) platforms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
b005t3r wrote:

So awesome!

Any chance that we'll eventually see some other Portal games ported over to Android (okay, and iOS) platforms?

Sure, but as for now we're working on Eclipse and Wings of Glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:
Sure, but as for now we're working on Eclipse and Wings of Glory.

I didn't know that, great news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.