Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I like the 2-player variants that have been posted here. I especially like Olavf's suggestions here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/655378/preventing-bad-lu...

for reducing some of the variance in which tiles appear and which don't. But having played a 2-player game again the other day, I put my finger on something else I want to tweak. It feels like in the 2-player game it's really hard for strategies to diverge. I'm assuming that you can't completely ignore any one type of tile (except maybe castles - ironic, no?) and are always going to grab a smattering of each. That seems to make it harder to focus on one type of tile to try and get a lot of points from that area, partially because there just aren't enough of them in the game. I realize scarcity is always part of the game, but you basically just need one opponent to go after a color only minimally in order to allow someone to go into it heavily. But in a 2-player game, that's unlikely to happen, whereas I've seen a lot of specialization in choice of tiles to grab in 4-player games.

So here's my suggestion. During the set-up for each phase, add 3 tiles to each tile depot, as if for a 3-player game. As soon as two tiles have been taken from a depot, remove the third from the game. (You could do something similar for the black tiles as well, which I think I would like.) This already serves to reduce the variance of which tiles you see over the course of the game, while also giving you more options for which paths you want to pursue, not to mention eliminating those times (especially the first few turn) where your decisions are just about made for you, because you roll a number that's only got one tile left. With this variant, you always have a choice. This could also work as a 3-player variant if you really wanted to get rid of that luck-of-the draw factor. That way you'd at least see all the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea.

Though frankly, I have found that in a 2-player game you really have to decide a lot about when and how to get ships or castle hexes. In a couple of cases these may need to be purchased from the center black tiles. That can make you really think through how to get the ore you need and those decisions pretty much need to happen in the first or second cycle. If you don't get certain tiles then, you will have to rethink your strategy and there is still time to come out ahead.

Mind you, this became clear to me only in our 4th game. And a lot of it had to do with whatever the special tiles were that came out in the game coupled with what comes out for the center. I find that chance occurence one of the interesting parts of the game. And what has happened is that you cannot count on a special tile coming out for play. If you are able to wrap your mind about changing your plans, the result can be a pretty close game there making the 5th cycle even more interesting.

I continue to also enjoy how much the game varies and we have not even tried the different player boards yet which will no doubt shake things up more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Steve.
We found the most diversity of strategies in this game when we 'graduated' from the number 1 boards.
Now, when each player has a different numbered board (and only inductees, who are just learning the game, get a board numbered 1) there is a wide diversity of strategies. You must very carefully plan to fill areas - sometimes quite challenging - in order to expand your realm.

For us, when we decided to turn to 'other numbered boards' this game really became an exciting experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.