5 Posts

Panic Station» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rigging the deck (Not in the cheating way) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Whattahead
Australia
flag msg tools
Just like to start off by saying that I love this game but my group can sometimes struggle to play a really tight, tense game.

I think one of the problems is the inconsistency of deck draws and how they can really affect the game in the early stages.

Some games we play, there is so much gas and ammunition at the top of the deck that the Host will find it so difficult to infect anyone, when we try to change this be reducing the original amount of gas we often end up with a Host thrashing as there is simply not enough gas going around.

To fix this, I have taken to rigging the deck to ensure even spread of items. I will divide the deck into three sections:
1. The Host section; this is the section that is (players x 3) cards total.
2. Section 2, half of the remaining cards.
3. Section 3, the rest of the cards.

In the Host section, I will place gas (one for each player) and a proportionate amount of ammunition (there are 6 ammo out of 46 cards so therefore roughly 13% of the deck is ammo)
example: 4 player game would have one ammunition card (Decide which way to round based on player group- easier or harder?) 4 gas cans and the host card. The remaining 6 cards would contain a parasite spawn, plus no more then one each of the other items randomly chosen, excluding the hand scanner. The deck would then be shuffled for obvious reasons.

Section two and three would each have half of the remaining ammunition and half of the remaining gas mixed with the rest of the items, with the exception of the hand scanner, which is in section three.

This method helps to spread key items across the deck without the risk of drawing all the gas and ammunition in the early game and making it very hard for the infected player.
Also, the hand scanner is delayed, so that a player cannot use it at the start on the host, making it near impossible to win.

Tell me what you think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a lot of trouble, but could be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it does sound like a lot of prep work, but this game is all about the fun and tense experience, so anything that contributes to that is great. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to try it next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chaney
United Kingdom
Dry Drayton
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems quite reasonable; there are a few other games that require you to rig the deck in a similar fashion (first example that comes to mind is Pandemic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has this worked out for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.