Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Over the past few years LINCOLN'S WAR (now on MMP's prepub list http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Preorder/tabid/59/Default.... become increasingly sharper and more engaging. A Civil War CDG that brings personality quirks and politics to the fore, Lincoln's War simplifies command structure and combat and introduces an entirely new combat system relying on congressional support. Scenarios play inside of 3 hours and the entire war can be fought inside of five hours, including blockading, Confederate commerce raiding, and even political assasination. More can be found at
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35452/lincolns-war

And updates on the Lincoln's War blog
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/445/lincolns-war-politics-...

Most recently, a LW fan brought to my attention a rumor that had British Intervention included in the game. This wasn't the case, but I do include European Recognition of the South in the following rules text:

TRIGGER: If the Emmancipation Proclamation has not been declared by the Summer of 1863, European Recognition can be declared by the Confederate player that turn or later if a Union 3 star General sustains a major defeat or retreats before battle. European Recognition may take place earlier if a Union 3 star General sustains a major defeat or retreats before battle North of the North/South border, or if the Confederates take Washington DC.

RESULTS: Once European Recognition has been declared,the confederate player immediately gains 5 PCs and may replace any one card in his hand with a new card from his discard pile. At the beginning of every campaign season after European Recognition has been declared, the Confederate player adds 3 PCs to his PC Track.

Note, PC stands for Political Currency. This is used to promote generals,provide army support and create naval resources.

I would appreciate your comments on my approach to European Recognition and welcome your interest in the project. Should you be attending WBC in Lancaster next week, look me up at the MMP table or near the entrance to Open Gaming. I will be happy to show you Lincoln's War and maybe even get in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
These threads discussing Lincoln's War are always interesting.

A few quick thoughts...

Establishing a time frame is questionable. European recognition was more likely in 1861 or 1862 but using any yardstick in designated game turns is, speaking frankly, flawed.

European recognition should be a random event. Confederate diplomatic efforts in Europe were ineffective. The Union's primary representative in London was the brilliant Charles Francis Adams. The government of Britain was divided but the common perception that everything was on hold until Lee completed the Antietam campaign is based on hindsight.

There was a debate in the British government about recognition. A declaration was possible at any point, but the delay to await the outcome of what became the Antietam campaign was just one of many decision points. It was, in fact, a classic British compromise while the particpants waited for additional information.

Recognition should boost CSA national morale, but it should appear as a random event with the result based on CSA progress in the entire war effort... with an extra emphasis on the Eastern Theater which received more attention in the media.

Emancipation should have a major impact on the decision, as you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I mentioned in the other thread, I think even European RECOGNITION - let alone intervention - was pretty unlikely, and grew more unlikely as the war went on, and the scope of the war grew bigger.

Pete has a good point about emancipation. Recognizing the Confederacy (let alone intervening) would be even MORE unlikely in Britain post-emancipation. And no European power was likely to get out ahead of Britain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really looking forward to this one, I preordered some time ago. thumbsup

On a side note: the first link didn't work for me - however this one did: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/59/ProductID/88/Defa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned to me in an email that there would be solitaire rules for LW. I was wondering how that part of the development was coming along?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I'm certainly no scholar of the American "War Between the States," but I join with the others who feel that European recognition of the Confederate States was highly unlikely. For this to occur in the game, I would set the conditions higher than described here. (The capture of Washington D.C. being an exception, I suppose. THAT would have come as a shock, wouldn't it?)

More likely was the European push for mediation early in the conflict. This event might offer the Confederacy some limited benefits and could then lead to the POSSIBILITY of Europe's full recognition of the Southern cause.

But isn't the issue rather unimportant, except for driving the President's political need to issue the Emancipation Proclamation? How might the United States have prosecuted the war differently if faced with even the minimal chance of foreign recognition? I'd appreciate hearing people's opinion on this matter.

And IF the Europeans recognized the Confederacy, wouldn't the consequences have been greater than described here? The United States would have likely cut exports of foodstuffs to England (greatly stressing the English given their increased dependence on imports and the crop disappointments at that time in France.) Incursions into Canada would not have been unlikely and, I assume, successful, and France would jeopardize its interests in Mexico if not all of Central America. The question, I guess, is how far the United States would have pursued a longtime policy of war rather than its usual preference toward peaceful conditons for trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
France was interested in recognizing the South, and Lincoln was concerned enough about the French invasion of Mexico leading to recognition of the Confederacy that he made it a war aim to get troops on the border with Mexico as soon as possible. But they were unlikely to act without Britain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Wendell and Pete above. As much as the North feared European recognition and the south craved it it was never really that close. Many in Britain feared that recognition meant war with the north and Britain had other fish to fry around the globe at the time.

One overriding factor in all this that is often ignored is Queen Victoria. She found slavery extremely repugnant and in many ways her view on the matter was Britain's view. To support the south would have meant supporting slavery and it is doubtful that Victoria would have approved any recognition of the south until it was a fait accompli.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the thread I was thinking perhaps not recognition itself but the threat of recognition might be the way to go. While in hindsight official British recognition of the south was never close to a reality during the war both sides at the time thought it was a realistic possibility. That belief had an effect on the conflict such as how the Union navy went after the raiders.

So instead of making the result of the card European recognition make it a European diplomatic crisis as the result of a confrontation at sea such as the Trent Affair. The Union player would be forced to make a choice. Either sacrifice PCs (in effect Lincoln making unpopular diplomatic concessions to Britain to avoid a confrontation with them) or give some sort of raider bonus to the southern player to reflect Lincoln reigning in his navy captains to avoid any naval confrontation with the British which is kind of what what Lincoln actually did.

Now I don't know if you already have an event card in the game dealing specifically with the Trent Affair but in this way you can recognize the effect the threat of British recognition had on the war without actually making official recognition a part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am still looking forward to this game, any update?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the list of interested parties, having P500'd it with MMP. Can't wait to see it in print!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.