G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!
Well, we're back on our schedule, and this episode features an in depth look at the Martin Wallace game, Brass: Lancashire. You can find the episode at www.2d6.org, here in the bgg podcast database, or on iTunes. For this episode, I am joined by
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
, and
Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as we try to determine what makes a game about the Industrial Revolution in Lancashire number eight on the geek after its release over five years ago.

Thanks for listening, and please post any questions or comments at www.2d6.org, or here on The Long Viewguild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
please stop pronouncing "shire" to rhyme with "eye" it hurts my ears.

a simple Lankashur sounds much better, and no Geoff its not the south!

enjoying the podcast despite your geographical and dialectical bumblings

Whoops! Missed those Lee. Thanks for the correction, and my apologies for my pronunciation/geography errors. To level the playing field, feel free to refer to the great "northern" state of Arkansas ( usually butchered as "r-can-zis" instead of the correct "ark-n-saw") sometime, and I'll know we're even!

On a more serious note, thanks for listening, and I'm glad you enjoyed the episode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, I listened to it this morning and enjoyed it too. I'm glad another northerner has already turned up to correct the geographical and pronunciation errors

Jesse's explanation of the Birkenhead link was a bit off too, but I guess maybe that just proves the point! The thematic justification you guys were searching for is that it represents a passenger ferry (the famous 'ferry cross the Mersey'). It allows building in Birkenhead with an industry card as if you were connected, but doesn't allow movement of coal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
I'm glad another northerner has already turned up to correct the geographical and pronunciation errors

Ex-northerners and defectors, both of you!

Quote:
Jesse's explanation of the Birkenhead link was a bit off too, but I guess maybe that just proves the point! The thematic justification you guys were searching for is that it represents a passenger ferry (the famous 'ferry cross the Mersey'). It allows building in Birkenhead with an industry card as if you were connected, but doesn't allow movement of coal.

Does this rule suggest that coal was never historically transported across the Mersey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Hehe, I listened to it this morning and enjoyed it too. I'm glad another northerner has already turned up to correct the geographical and pronunciation errors

Thanks for clearing up the Birkenhead link for me. I was not aware there was a ferry. That would expain the movement by water only (kind of like the ferry to Skye before they put in the bridge) and makes much more sense. I know Martin used sea lanes in AoI that are marked on the map. I think if he had put a marking like that on the Brass board, it would have helped players understand this link. Thanks for listening, and I'm glad you enjoyed the show!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Ex-northerners and defectors, both of you!

I'm actually a double defector. Born in London, moved to Huddersfield when I was 9, now back dahn sahf again.

Quote:
Does this rule suggest that coal was never historically transported across the Mersey?

I didn't say it was perfect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ggambill wrote:
Thanks for clearing up the Birkenhead link for me. I was not aware there was a ferry. That would expain the movement by water only (kind of like the ferry to Skye before they put in the bridge) and makes much more sense. I know Martin used sea lanes in AoI that are marked on the map. I think if he had put a marking like that on the Brass board, it would have helped players understand this link.

He did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee - yep, that's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:

Finally, I had a bit of a rules panic when you started talking about access to resourceS for building. As I understand it, and looking at the anchor icon above the demand track, you ALWAYS have access to iron, either from the board (where you dont need to link to it), or the demand track (requiring no connection to a port of any kind), and when empty by paying 5 pounds per cube, so is it not just access to coal that is the factor for enabling certain builds????

Good job guys.

Hi Lee. I don't recall us saying you could not gt iron from the demand track, but I'll listen and see if we made a mistake so I can get a note added to the post. Thanks for the heads up!

As far as turn order goes, yeah, I wonder why none of us thought about that? It can indeed be devastating to get a double move at a crucial time. Excellent point! As far as the map goes, I never considred it much (see Martin's picture above!) as I know the game is so closely tied to this specific place (NOT in the south of England) that I don't know if another map would fit the theme as well, though Justin did mention a French map in the episode. I do think that the networks on the board make the game very tight for blocking etc. and this contributes greatly to the tension of the game in my opinion. Thanks for the comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's more history than mathematics behind the map. I imagine the process was something like this:

Start with a period map of the North West of England;
Pick out the towns which were important during the industrial revolution;
Assign spots to each based on their relative size;
Fill in those spots with whatever industries were present at the time;
Link towns with historically-accurate canals and railways;
Apply fudge factor;
Playtest to tweak the balance.

Martin Wallace seems to be the sort of designer who would concentrate more on the historical accuracy of a game rather than the underpinning mathematical structure, unlike Knizia, say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
in that case, there's no reason why people couldn't do a Yorkshire map for example and do the same thing, with some playtesting and fudging and come up with something that works along similar lines. But as it had not happened I wondered if there was more to it than that.

That's exactly what did happen with the French map, and I think there's a Catalan one out there too.

I'd love to see a Brass map featuring Huddersfield though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.