Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint Conner
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, I had the best session of Descent that I've ever had. My group was playing the Shadow Vault Interlude. It was a back and forth battle all the way down to the room at the base of the waterfall. I managed to KO a few heros and they managed to kill all of my monsters aside from Zachareth on the way there.

Then, in that final room and hallway is where I've had the most intense, nail-biting game rounds ever. We spent at least a minimum of 45 minutes in that last hallway with me, as the Overlord, knocking out heros, immobilizing, playing trap cards, or just plain blocking movement with my monsters. And the heros killing my monsters and playing every trick up their sleeve to try and reach the exit.

Everything came down to the roll of two dice. A Barghest was making an attack on the hero that had the coffin (who was two spaces away from the exit). The hero had two life left and could spend no more fatigue. I gather the blue and red dice, giving them a toss onto the table. A grin spreads across my face as I see the three hearts pop up on the red die but then quickly fades as I see the giant, glaring white X on the blue die. Had I been successful, the Zachareth could have picked up the dropped coffin and then pranced right out of the exit.

These last rooms on this map were simply an amazing battle with both sides going back and forth, it really felt like a battle; and regardless of who won, you'd still come out feeling as though you barely made it out alive.

I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum or not. It really isn't a full session review, just me wanting to voice my excitement over this wonderful game of Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. From every session report read so far this quest seems to stand out over the rest quite a bit. Looking forward to try it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great time! How long did this quest take in total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Conner
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
opticode wrote:
Sounds like a great time! How long did this quest take in total?

We started around 8 PM and ended it finally at 10 PM. So roughly two hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Oord
Netherlands
SNAKKERBUREN
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maziken wrote:

Then, in that final room and hallway is where I've had the most intense, nail-biting game rounds ever. We spent at least a minimum of 45 minutes in that last hallway with me, as the Overlord, knocking out heros, immobilizing, playing trap cards, or just plain blocking movement with my monsters.

I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum or not.

I've been lurking on the D2 forum for months now, and came more o the edge of dive in, but was still a litlle hesitant to pay € 80 for it.
You just kicked me over this edge of indecision laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maziken wrote:
Last night, I had the best session of Descent that I've ever had.

Does that include First Edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Conner
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bielie wrote:
Maziken wrote:
Last night, I had the best session of Descent that I've ever had.

Does that include First Edition?

Absolutely. My first edition games always just revolved around the heros killing my minions and then whatever boss there was for the level. The battles were always fairly one-sided, if one side managed to tip the balance in their favor they usually kept it for the rest of that dungeon level. There was never any back and forth battling going on with one side being on the brink of losing, then coming back, then going back to almost losing, then coming back, etc.

Second edition definitely seems a lot more balanced, in my opinion. It seemed that in the first edition the heros only had to focus on one thing, killing monsters. In the second edition they have to decide to kill monsters or to advance their overall goal for the map. The same thing goes for the Overlord in the second edition, he or she now has to think about things other than just bum-rushing all of his monsters to the heroes in an attempt to kill them all.

There seems to be a lot more strategy that doesn't revolve around combat in the second edition, and I really love that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing left me a little unclear though, you were placing new monsters on the entrance, not the exit, right? Once the heroes get past the entrance bit it's mostly a quick trip out the dungeon, since it's hard for the monsters to swing around and block.

Anyway, I also had a pretty epic fight on that quest earlier today, myself as Overlord putting shadow dragons right next to the start, flesh moulders on the river's edge, and ettins off the map. I realized my mistake when I had troubles getting more than one of my big monsters to attack the heroes at a time, having to retreat and set up ambush points along the map. The heroes, on the other hand, had Grisban (as a berserker with the skill that gives him +4 HP, and leather armor, so 19 HP total) carrying the casket. It looked pretty tough, until they got a few unlucky rolls on the stream, leaving me with a minion flesh moulder, a master ettin, and Zachareth on the map. Thankfully, their slow progression, using the disciple to constantly keep everyone at or near full HP, meant I had a full hand of cards... and Grisban had decided to charge to the front lines in order to clear out a master flesh moulder.

The minion moulder took a shot at him, then I tossed Frenzy and double-attacked with the ettin, both attacks hitting hard (and the second having both Dark Might and Critical Blow played on it), and leaving him at very little HP. I played both Dash and Frenzy on Zachareth, which let me finish him off with one attack, pick up the casket, run to the waterfall, and jump off, leaving the heroes trying to figure out what just happened. A few rounds after that, and Zachareth was waltzing out the entrance, earning me the shadow rune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Conner
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was placing them on the entrance tile. However, the heroes were mostly killing my goblin archers and I had a handful of Dash cards that brought them right back into the game fast. I was also knocking out at least two heroes each turn and using my Meriods and Barghests to block the hallway to the exit. Zachareth was also in there doing damage left and right. All of this on top of the heroes already having a ton of damage on them by the time they got down the waterfall. I don't think there was a one that wasn't down to only five or six life left.

I guess I should point out that by the time that the heroes had fallen down the waterfall, I had a row of monsters at the edge of the water to completely block their movement. On the following turn, I was able to move several into the hallway to block their movement down that while allowing my other monsters to wreak havoc while Zachareth caught up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harper
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
On the back and forth, I would have to agree, this game does it great. Every game so far (the 1st 3) has been extremely close with both sides seemingly being on top for a period. Heroes think they are clear for a win? OL drops a card(s) that tips the tables. OL has multiple heroes down, a creative play by the healer gets 2 back in the game for a surprising flurry of Hero attacks.

Only draw back is I think it would be much harder for the heroes without a healer in the group, at least more so than missing one of the others.

The Heroes have just squeaked a win each game, but, they have pulled very little treasure in the process. It will likely hurt them later in the campaign and since they don't have a rogue it will be hard to catch up.

Maybe it will balance in the end. I'm hopeful. But even if it doesn't, we have had a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helznicht wrote:
On the back and forth, I would have to agree, this game does it great. Every game so far (the 1st 3) has been extremely close with both sides seemingly being on top for a period. Heroes think they are clear for a win? OL drops a card(s) that tips the tables. OL has multiple heroes down, a creative play by the healer gets 2 back in the game for a surprising flurry of Hero attacks.

Only draw back is I think it would be much harder for the heroes without a healer in the group, at least more so than missing one of the others.

The Heroes have just squeaked a win each game, but, they have pulled very little treasure in the process. It will likely hurt them later in the campaign and since they don't have a rogue it will be hard to catch up.

Maybe it will balance in the end. I'm hopeful. But even if it doesn't, we have had a blast.

I would say, if your heroes haven't been focusing on searching for treasure, they haven't really been playing properly. Getting money for shop items is a pretty huge deal here, especially once you move into act 2 and the monsters get much tougher. Not having good weapons to knock them down could cause quite a few problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Conner
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The heroes in my sessions haven't been going after treasure a lot either. But like Kelly has stated, I think they learned that lesson the hard way last night when we hit Act II. Granted, they won the first quest, but mostly due to me getting horrible dice rolls (I think I racked up more misses on that one map than I normally do in an entire campaign). I was victorious in the second quest by a rather large margin and I think that is when it hit them that they needed more gold to spend on treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.