Endzo Endza
msg tools
Hi guys this is my first post on this site and I currently just purchased my first boardgame ever, I have always wanted to get into boardgaming and so after coming across this site I did some research and decided i'd be going with this game.

So far I am not having the best experience with it,I honesly just don't know how to get the game, and it makes me feel like a complete noob, because I know you guys are probably facepalming at me right now, but anyway, I have basically managed to set up as the keeper and seen how the investigators work etc. but now problem lies at how do i get the game started, like the monsters and he reading of the cards etc,I just find the rules of play not as straight forward as I would like them to be, do any if you maybe just have a link for me on pretty straight forawrd game play please, I really want to get into the board gaming and so far this has put me off slightly but its only cause i am new i am sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure others can help you out, I have never played the game. I have to say though, for someone new to board games, this isn't quite a game to start out with. In the meanwhile, make sure you visit the game link itself to watch reviews, read the reviews and also under the Rules forum. I find doing that benefits greatly in helping myself understand a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to go to the Mansions of Madness forums. First read the posts there, which might help to get the big game concepts down, then ask a specific question. People here are generally pretty helpful, and will answer rather quickly.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endzo Endza
msg tools
Ya tbh I never knew board game had progressed so much, I am from South Africa and I mean it is hard to come across games here so I ordered one off Amazon, and I just wanted something to get me into the whole board game scene, but I honestly didn't think I would have this much a hard time grasping all the information on the game, I play alota online pc games mostly RPG so it helps kinda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg C
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This series has helped me alot and they have a full play through

Watch it played.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEC54C070723F98E4&feat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Oconnor
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
There was a great group of videos from Learn to Play by Watching It Played where they play through a complete scenario of Mansions of Madness covering absolutely everything. You can pretty much see how everything is done. It is a great production - fun to watch and very informative.

Its on the list here:

http://www.youtube.com/watchitplayed

and the first video is here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/8825/mansions-of-madness/lear...

You should be all set after watch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions Of Madness (and its rulebook) are designed for established gamers.

It may be that it uses concepts, phrases and language that assumes a certain amount of familiarity with modern games.

While not an extremely difficult game, if you haven't "warmed up" to it with other modern games first, it might be a challenge, especially if you have no other gamers to guide and teach you.

Its almost like there's an assumed language and learning curve in hobby games. Things like 'roll a die' don't have to be spelled out as 'pick up a die, raise your hand over the playing surface, open your hand, allowing the die to fall in a manner that defies predicting the outcome and read the number of spots on the top face' in basic games, because the general public understands 'roll a die'. Games like this, however, may be assuming the reader already understands things like the concepts of having action points that do not carry from turn to turn.

You've entered a world where there may be some basic language and action concepts to grasp first before assembling them into a new coherent game.

It is not impossible.

But it may be rough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is also a coop vs bad guy game, so like Descent, the bad guy is usually the one who learn all the rules and how to play the game, then guide the heroes through the scenario while kicking theyr ass. I like the game, it's difficult for the heroes and every action count, but it's definately worth learning.

Don'T worry, in 2008 I bought Descent in a hurry and learned the game by myself. I invested many hours and then I teached some friends, and after 2 or 3 games it was smooth and we had the best time ever. Now I am a board game addict. Welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endzo Endza
msg tools
I am getting there, iv'e probably already spent about 3-4 hours just trying to figure out the game itself, gets a bit frustrating becuase I just find myself itching to play the whole time, will give the watch, always easier when there is someone showing, reading through the rules feels more like a comprehension test back in the days of school for me haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness is my favorite game of the team of players vs GM genre. I hope you enjoy it over time. Last game we played involved the player in charge of the monsters driving my friend's character to madness and busting his head open with his own item.

Stick with it, it's very rewarding!

I will say though, in general there are many types of modern games out there. If your goal is to get into modern board gaming, team vs GM games is only one type of many modern gaming genres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nissen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The first non-video game I ever played seriously was D and D. I played with a group of people that were similar. It took me over 10 hours (straight) to figure out the rules...then after I had the rules down i though "so how do you play"... I feel ya, man.

Try this - it should be simple enough..

First

Investigators take a move - up to two spaces.

Then take an action - read about what you can do for actions. should be and easy find in the rule book.

You should also read about how to do lock cards and obstacles before you move or take an action.

Then the keeper:

Take a threat token for how ever many investigators there are.

Play the cost of any cards that you can play with your threat tokens or don't play anything. (not mythos or trauma cards - read about those specifically, you'll play them on the investigators turn).

Put an event timer token on the event card. That ends your turn.

Do this again and when something comes up that you don't know how to do, look it up.

I assume this didn't help but hope it did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.