Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Finlay
Australia
Beldon
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Thought I should post some impressions here just for posterity.

Firstly the game bears no resemblance to the actual conflict as it was produced as a 'what if' scenario, so any historical comparison is irrelevant.

Secondly compared to today's games this just doesn't hold up. The CRT is confusing and doesn't follow any reasonable pattern making you refer to it for every combat, the two terrain types are difficult to tell apart, the rules whilst not poorly written aren't formatted in a a manner conducive for referencing (though they are suitably short), the rulebook has a full sheet of errata + a separate paper slip, etc.

Once you get past all that the play isn't bad at all but it wasn't particularly memorable either. If you read the rules it should be clear how the game plays out. i.e. plenty of chrome that doesn't really do anything, not very much strategy (stack 'em high, send 'em in), the bluffing aspect is rarely useful, etc.

There are only two ways I can recommend this game:
1. as a look back to 70s self published wargaming
2. as an interesting historical 'alternate history', but you can get that effect just by reading designer notes/intro at the beginning of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh but what a neat game it was back when it was published being on the conflict that didn't have any other games out on the subject. Me,I got 2 copies and one I colored in my B &W map to jazz it up a tad.

It's still a fun game to pull out and play every once & awhile.May have to go in and do some variants to spice it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Finlay
Australia
Beldon
WA
flag msg tools
badge
I'm pleased you enjoy it. It's not my cup of tea though I'd play it if someone else wanted to, but I won't be selling it either. It's a one game definitive collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.