Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As golfers know, an "up and down" is a situation when the ball lies somewhere off the green and a short shot and one putt will save par. In CribbGolf Pebble Beach, a player must roll two dice whenever their "ball" lies in rough or a bunker*. To make an up and down, two dice are rolled and must have one die with the hole's par (a five on a par five), have the sum of both dice equal par, or roll any double and the penalty is avoided and the peg is advanced one peg hole. If the double happens to be the hole's par rating, then the player subtracts a stroke and advances three peg holes.

But the layout of the course with hazards that are consecutive on a route means that I can get an up and down by the fortunate roll of dice, advance one peg hole, and (again!) have to suffer the same consequence. This doesn't happen when a real up and down is achieved, nor should it happen in CribbGolf.

Note the 6th hole and the three consecutive bunker holes on the yellow route preceding the green. Landing in the first bunker could mean a player would have to achieve the up and down twice and then successfully avoid three putting in order to avoid any penalty strokes Many thanks to Paul Burkhard for the image.

My solution is quite simple. When an up and down is successful, advance the peg to the hole on the green next to the cup indicated by the flag stick. Advancing to the "three putt" hole makes no sense either, as three putting would contradict the making of an up and down. If a "double par #" is rolled the peg is immediately placed in the cup and a -1 is recorded for the hole. If in the above example a player fails the up and down attempt and pegs into another bunker then another up and down must be attempted.

I love cribbage and enjoy an occasional round of golf. In my younger days playing the non-board game version on the weekends was habitual. Making CribbGolf a better game by eliminating this illogical aspect of hazards should increase the game's enjoyment factor.

Gg

*I own both versions of CribbGolf, and the original requires up and down die rolls for water and woods as well as rough and sand. The Pebble Beach version changed the rules to the immediate assignment of penalty strokes and peg retreats for the water and woods hazards.

Edit: The underlined text is a change from my original rule. There should not be a distinction between green-side hazards and fairway hazards if a "double par#" is rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colonel major
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I have a question for you. On the 7th hole I landed in the water twice and had to return to the beginning. When I counted my hand I had 14 points and ended in the pin on the 8th hole. The rules states that when that happens you par the 7th and subtract 3 from the 8th. What about the 2 water shots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredwild wrote:
I have a question for you. On the 7th hole I landed in the water twice and had to return to the beginning. When I counted my hand I had 14 points and ended in the pin on the 8th hole. The rules states that when that happens you par the 7th and subtract 3 from the 8th. What about the 2 water shots?

Thanks for asking about how my variant would apply to this situation. Since you cannot "get up and down" from the water hazard as this only applies to sand and rough, you must assess a penalty stroke for each errant shot: in this case, two strokes against par.

The standard rules apply here: You score 5 on the par 3 7th Hole and birdie the par 4 8th Hole. You only lose one shot against par by virtue of your fine cribbage hand.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you like The Pebble Beach version over the original?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danamark wrote:

Until about a year ago, I owned both versions. I gave away the original and kept the Pebble Beach Edition.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
danamark wrote:

Until about a year ago, I owned both versions. I gave away the original and kept the Pebble Beach Edition.

Gg

Update: I sold my copy of the Pebble Beach Edition before Christmas. Yesterday, I found a "revised" edition in a thrift store for well under a buck. I hope to get around to playing this copy at least once, and sell it if anyone is interested.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.