Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Murphy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've always been bothered by some of the strange game mechanics in SWM, especially Door control and general interrupts (with the original rules, there's nothing you can do against an enemy running from cover to cover, no matter how prepared you are.)

Among other things, I've incorporated

- interrupts (Readied Attacks)
- simpler door mechanics (spending movement points to open/close doors)
- range increments
- superior cover

Since playing with these rules, I've never wanted to go back to the original rules. Any feedback is greatly appreciated:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/80610/d20-rpg-variant-rule...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G F
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
I've played so much with the regular rules that I don't think I'd really want to switch rules, but good on you for working on it.

The things that concern me a little are:
"Large characters and cover: Large enemies have cover if all squares occupied by the character have cover." - it's already difficult for large characters and particularly huge characters (who you don't mention) that don't have flight to move as they are slowed by low objects and other terrain features. I think making it harder for them isn't a good idea.

Counting out squares for range, and working out "Superior Cover" both seem like they'd slow the game down. I prefer it simpler, and I'm happy to think that lasers would be able to fire all the way across the map.

The concept of Readied Attacks is interesting, but there are counters to stealth out there, like Accurate Shot, It's A Trap, and Force Sense.

That's just my opinion though; thanks for sharing your rules, it's interesting. Do you find that the rules change which squads do well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.