Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt L
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
Hi folks
I'm working on a card game that's kind of like a tower defense game. Each player has the same main deck, from that they each get to take X # of those cards to build the deck that they will use during the game (IE game deck).

The cards are as follow:
Generator card (this card allows you to put other cards into play)

8 Monster cards (each monster have different attributes)

4 Weapon cards (are played on the monsters to upgrade weapons, only 1 weapon card can be played on 1 monster)

4 Defense cards (are played on the monsters to upgrade defenses, only 1 defense card can be played on 1 monster)

2 Movement cards ((are played on the monsters to upgrade movement, only 1 movement card can be played on 1 monster)

2 toughness cards (are played on the monsters to upgrade toughness, only 1 toughness card can be played on 1 monster)

4 special cards (are played on the monsters for special abilities, only 1 special card can be played on 1 monster)

4 Combat Cards (can only be played during combat, adds to attack or defense, can only play 1 card per round of combat)

4 Special Attack Card (can only be played during combat, adds to attack or defense, can only play 1 card per round of combat)

The idea is for a player to be able to pick a strategy and then build a game deck around that strategy.

For example if some one wanted to build a game deck based on offence, they would pick the 4 monster cards that give the best attack bonuses, take all 4 of the weapon cards, take the special cards / combat cards / and special attack cards that help on offensive.

I realize that A game deck would have to have a minimum and a maximum number of cards but this is where I'm having an issue. I have no idea how many of each card I should have.

I would like for the player to have multiple monsters (maybe 4 to 8) on the board at any give time which I assume would dictate the number of other cards.

The point of the game is to destroyer the other players monsters and generator cards.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Adams
United States
Caneyville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I imagine a good starting base is that each player would have one of each type of card, at random, except for that they will have 2 Monsters. Then they could use their starting cash/points to purchase whatever else they want to start with. Shuffle the decks and what-not and start playing.

At least you can start with that and playtest to see what works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hawkins
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these types of cards, or totals of that type? (ie, you say 8 Monsters, different monsters have different attributes; but how many cards? 8 monster cards that could be one of 2-4 "monster types?" or 8 Monster types, that could each have multiple copies?)

Basically, you have Monsters (8), Modifiers (16, split between weapons, toughness, defense, movement, and special) and Combat cards (8, regular Combat cards and Special Attack cards).

Ratios being equal Monsters/Combat, double the Modifiers.

Here, it depends on how the game is played, I think. You're right in that "# of Monsters should dictate # of other cards", but it also depends on how the game works.

First, it's all one deck, correct? I would think about how often you draw and can play cards. If you don't play them too frequently, you run the risk of having a hand full of modifiers/combat cards, and no monsters to play them on. If you can play cards as soon as you have them, having more modifiers than monsters isn't too bad (since you allow a monster to have multiple types of modifiers).

You could limit the number of modifiers and combat cards so the game is more about monster use (ie, more common "no modifier" fights), or you could up the number so that after the beginning of the game, having monsters with no modifiers is almost impossible, and having some with 2-3 modifiers isn't too uncommon, but you'd have to have draw/play rates high enough to get and use the cards.

If you can get it to work, you could even have "high modifier" and "low modifier" games, where the draw/play rules are different to allow different types of games to be played. Just a thought.

I could probably ramble and theorize more, but to provide something more useful, I'd have to know more about your game, such as turn order, how often you expect fights to occur, when/how you draw/play cards, etc. And if you haven't decided that yet, then, as I've said, I think you can tweak/adjust it to fit your # of modifiers.

Personally, I'd set up such a game to keep roughly those ratios, with the same number of combat cards as monsters (assuming that combat cards are 1-use, and monsters that survive will keep fighting), with 1.5-2x the number of modifiers. But that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my limited experience with tower defence video games, the fun is in how you have to perform more and more actions with less and less time, until finally it gets too much.

So maybe your game should include some type of time limit on moves - either one that gets shorter and shorter, or that stays the same while more and more needs to be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt L
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
AlphaC wrote:
Are these types of cards, or totals of that type? (ie, you say 8 Monsters, different monsters have different attributes; but how many cards? 8 monster cards that could be one of 2-4 "monster types?" or 8 Monster types, that could each have multiple copies?)

Yes that's 8 different monsters, 4 different weapon cards, etc..

AlphaC wrote:
First, it's all one deck, correct? I would think about how often you draw and can play cards. If you don't play them too frequently, you run the risk of having a hand full of modifiers/combat cards, and no monsters to play them on. If you can play cards as soon as you have them, having more modifiers than monsters isn't too bad (since you allow a monster to have multiple types of modifiers).

The player would pick from the main deck (all the options) to build 1 deck that they would use during the game. I'm also thinking at the end of your turn you can discard as many cards as you want, and draw a new hand. If you run out of cards you can reshuffle the deck.

AlphaC wrote:
(assuming that combat cards are 1-use, and monsters that survive will keep fighting), with 1.5-2x the number of modifiers. But that's just me.

Yes the combat and special attack are one use, then back into your discard pile.

Basically I've been thinking along the same lines, but I have no reason for it other than it 'seems right'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.