Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Guerra
United States
Eagle pass
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello there guys

i got a question that perhaps is more suited to non english speaking players.

would you pay twice as much for this game and its expansions to be able to have it in your language, or just get the english version?

Im in this situation right now.

I'm from Mexico. I mainly play with my brother and nephews (who can read average english, which is good enough for most things in the game like +1 to skills, or pay $1 for x or y), they only really struggle with the 'flavor' or thematic aspect of the cards with a bunch of text, so i have decided to read all the mythos and encounter cards for them and translate them on the fly as best as i can, i do this to try and immerse them into the story.

I have the base game and dunwich horror in english and am looking for the rest of the big box expansions + lurker which would be around 130-140 dollars.

But i also have the option to get the same expansions and also the base and dunwich (which i already own) in spanish, but i would have to import them from spain , which would come out at almost 300 Euros (368 Dollars)

Would you guys consider such an option for yourselves? Right now i really dont feel that having the game in english is keeping us from enjoying the game (at least not to me since i have no problems with the language barrier).

for what its worth , every single game we play its in english (descent, battlestar galactica, runebound, summoner wars, etc..), but AH is the one that i feel it would benefit the storytelling maybe?

Opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first got AH I bought it in Italian (at normal price) and while it is not a big deal I regret it and have considered the idea of getting the base set in English. All the expansions I own are in English (so I can buy them as soon as they are published) and not only this allows me to play with whoever happens to be at my place (I live in the US 3/4 of a year) but also avoids any translation issue (not necessarily mistakes, but at least in italian the translated text often appears verbose).

Especially since you say that your group understand English quite easily, just keep playing the english version, the flavour text will improve their english while not being super-difficult. In extreme cases, you can surely translate for them.

Hope this helps
Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Barbero
Spain
Madrid
Madrid Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I can read english well (I know I don't write at the same level) but sometimes, some of the other players doesn't understand english well, it makes the gameplay be a bit uncomfortable, 'cause I got to translate some cards or rules, and it's not an option when you need to keep your cards hidden.

For the AH game I think there's no problem at all, 'cause the rules and the cards are public for every player, and the flavor of the game is not given by the storytelling, I think it's given by the light rpg feeling, and the growing dificulty of the opening portals.

In conclusion, I would buy the cheaper option.

Pd.- Excuse my english.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The German version is cheaper than the English here, but after reading the following on the first page of the rules PDF, I decided that I really want the English game:
German rules wrote:
Fremdartige Wesen, „Die Großen Alten“ genannt, lauern dort wo sich Tore zwischen den Welten in der Leere von Raum und Zeit krümmen.

English rules wrote:
Alien entities known as Ancient Ones lurk in the emptiness beyond space and time, writhing at the gates between worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.