The Republic of Rome» Forums » General

Subject: Adding a player to an existing game...how to? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Carnevale
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi guys!

I've a very rome-focused group, we meet often to play this game! (One of my friends still "hates" me for an assassination during the very first game...)

Next week we're going to try a "morning to evening" session, but one of my friends will join us only in the afternoon...

So, how to add a player during an ongoing match? Have you ever tried somthing like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Gadoua
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonjour,

Almost was confronted with this situation last week.
Here is the plan I had... Ended up not doing this since he showed up on time.

But here is my plan:

Start game with an extra faction (the late guys faction).
Take turns playing the late guys faction (roll a dice to decide who plays 2 factions this turn).

When late player arrives:
To make sure people treated that faction as if it was there own, and to eliminate manipulations, everyone who played the late guys faction rolls a dice.

The lucky looser has to roll again...
1-2-3 he continues the game with his original faction,
4-5-6 he continues the game with the late guys faction (the late player would then take the other faction remaining).

Cannot confirm if this works... but at least it's an option.

Alex,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just set aside a starting hand of Intrigue cards and Senators. Then he can jump in during the next Revolution Phase, which would allow him to play his Concessions and Statesmen. He won't have any Knights, Influence, etc., but I'm guessing he'll catch up pretty quickly since other players will consider him the lowest threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
We've done exactly what Jon just said. Just have a set of cards available and coming and going works just fine. Auction off the 6th initiative just like you would in a 5 player game, and when they join, stop doing that. Considering anyone's faction can be decimated at virtually anytime, coming in late doesn't necessarily hinder you. We have also had people need to leave early, which is quite easy as well. throw all of their senators, concessions and provinces into the curia, and start auctioning the extra initiative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.