Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
As in the classical type. And while it's true, I may be a child of the 80's, I am also an avid listener to classical music. So let refine our palate for a while, and tell me your favorite movements(of the less brown kind, or blue in Rusty's case).

I'll start:

Boléro composed by Maurice Ravel in 1928. And while a contemporary piece in comparison, I think it captures a much older feel. I am not usually a fan of later classical or modernist works from composers as Stravinsky and Gershwin. I find it has to much strings and sound too movie soundtrack like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a bad version of Bolero but I like mine a bit slower, then picking up steam at the end.

My all-time favorite piece of classical is Carmina Burana, by Carl Orff:

The entire choral work (over an hour long) is fabulous. If you ever get a chance, see a live performance by your local orchesta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not much of a fan of classical music, but sometimes a piece will catch my attention as being really nice. More often than not, the piece ends up being by Bach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bach rocks.

I imagine we'll see some added to the list fairly soon.
My favorite Bach is the Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor.

Oh, what the hell. Here it is:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
It's almost a classical music cliche, but the entire orchestral suite of 'The Planets' by Gustav Holst is very likeable stuff. It covers a lot of bases, from the blaring & martial (Mars, the Bringer Of War) to the cosmic & haunting (the ghostly women's choruses on the outro to Neptune, the Mystic.)

And you can hear what John Williams ripped off for Vader's theme at 4:23 of this YouTube video:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

My all-time favorite piece of classical is Carmina Burana, by Carl Orff:

It's funny. I wondered how long it would take to see O'Fortuna to show up. Much quicker than I thought. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
With Classical music, it's tough to pick out a piece and say you like it because it can be performed horribly or brilliantly. Unlike rock etc, where the music is recorded by the artists and you have a definitive version of the work, classical music has been performed by thousands of people in a thousand different ways.

That said -- old school:

Middle School:

New School:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is Andres Segovia playing Isaac Albeniz composition of Asturias. Covering the classical guitar.

As a bonus, here he is playing Bach's Gavotte. Wonderful piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
I could post pieces (again, not the brown kind) all day, but will try to restrain myself. Here's the symphonic poem "Vltava" (The Moldau) from Ma Vlast (My Homeland) by Bedřich Smetana:

And here, Borodin's "In the Steppes of Central Asia":

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Here is Andres Segovia playing Isaac Albeniz composition of Asturias. Covering the classical guitar.

I love the way John Williams plays Asturias.

This inspired me to learn to play the first 27 seconds of the song. I got lazy and never learned the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:

I love the way John Williams plays Asturias.

I like John Williams, as he is a bit more open to interpretations. Segovia seems to be more of a purist. Hard to say who I like better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent thread!

And hard to choose. I'll go with Beethoven's 9th symphony. Ode to Joy = one of the greatest pieces of music ever, but I'm partial to the 2nd movement. As a cyclist, I've always envisioned a film with this playing in the background as we see, in sillouette, first one cyclist crest a hill, then another, then many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
and here is something to think about when it comes to classical music:

Think of being alive in the 18th or 19th century & being a fan of classical music. This was before CDs, or tapes, or albums, or wax cylinders, or any recorded music. So if you liked a particular piece of music, that meant hoping your neighborhood orchestra/symphony (which not every city had) could play it & would play it in concert. You might live and die and only hear your favorite work of music performed two or three times. That is fascinating to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
I'll go with Beethoven's 9th symphony.

Love the 9th. Every time I hear it, I want to don a codpiece grab a cane and a bowler cap, and go do some ultra-violence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
LennyS wrote:
I'll go with Beethoven's 9th symphony.

Love the 9th. Every time I hear it, I want to don a codpiece grab a cane and a bowler cap, and go do some ultra-violence.
laughLike many, I suppose, this was also my first exposure to good old Ludwig Van.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to give some love to Charles Ives, one of the first great 20th century composers who still gets overlooked by a lot of people. Way ahead of his time. The Unanswered Question is one of my favorites:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. Anything with a canon as a instument is OK with me. Plus it was our favorite piece to play in my high school band.

Here is the finale:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rossini's William Tell Overture was another favorite we loved to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
Like many, I suppose, this was also my first exposure to good old Ludwig Van.

Every time I hear Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber, I always think the movie Platoon...or Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Francisco Tárrega, which for some reason they both sound the same. Always wondered if there was some inspiration there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably my favorite piece of all...I love the impressionist style (see Ravel, Bolero, Saint-Saëns, Mussorgsky, etc). Also a big fan of Bach (Brandenburg No. 5), Beethoven (the overtures), Mahler (the symphonies), Stravinsky (ballets), and Shostakovich (symphonies). And one of these days, I'm going to try to go through all of Schubert's stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dvorak's From the New World Symphony,Movement 2,Largo.

Brings a tear to my eye. Every. Single. Time.

And it led to an adaption which is one of the most stirring and wonderful vocal performances in music.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
I could post pieces (again, not the brown kind) all day, but will try to restrain myself. Here's the symphonic poem "Vltava" (The Moldau) from Ma Vlast (My Homeland) by Bedřich Smetana:
(removed video link)

And here, Borodin's "In the Steppes of Central Asia":
(removed video link)

Nice choices! My favorite Dvorak is the "New World" Symphony, and I love Borodin's Prince Igor.

More noisy choral work in that last one. I seem to be a fan of noisy choral works.

Shadowen wrote:
Rossini's William Tell Overture was another favorite we loved to play.
(removed video link)

I have a Rossini Overature compilation CD that I put on whenever I make up a big batch of spaghetti sauce.
The stuff doesn't taste as good if it wasn't prepared during The Barbar of Seville
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seemed a crime not to have some Wolfgang Mozart Amadeus on tap.

Here's a Sonata - Andante grazioso, Menuetto, and Alla Turca.

Compared to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
How about a brace of 20th Century Russian fifth symphonies?

Starting with "An artist's response to justified criticism" (of his opera Lady MacBeth of Mtsensk District, by Stalin); Shostakovich's fifth symphony.

Then Prokofiev's "a hymn to free and happy Man, to his mighty powers, his pure and noble spirit", composed in the summer of 1944.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a paper on Shostakovich and Prokofiev in college, particularly about how Communism (and specifically Stalin) affected their art. Pretty interesting stuff.

For something Italian now, how about Respighi:

I love how the conductor looks like he's about to die by the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.