Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The excitement is killing me, so I have to spill the news finally.....

Last Friday, GF and I got confirmation that we will be having a baby!

I guess it's about time I have a child. Escaped so many years of promiscuity and crazy women cool

We find out how far along she is for sure this coming Thursday

YAY!

Tips for diapers?? We can buy diapers with our GG here, right??

oh well, it was worth a shot....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Djcheddar wrote:

Tips for diapers?? We can buy diapers with our GG here, right??

If you go the disposable route, get a membership at a discount wholesaler (like Costco). You'll make up the membership cost and then some in savings on diaper costs alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we have already grown to love the fact of having Sams club on our side

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations are definitely in order.

We went with cloth diapers, but the disposable kind are still indespensible when traveling.

Buy plenty of little washcloths (for bum wiping). Twenty is not a large number in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you used washables? Is it really more cost effective to buy detergent and use the water vs the disposbales?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
We use a cloth diaper service. I can't recommend it enough.

The only time we've ever had serious blowouts were from disposables. The cloth wicks the liquid in the poop quickly so it doesn't have to find somewhere to go. And the diaper cover catches any slop.

We use disposables on outings.

The other thing is that children that use cloth diapers usually want to be potty trained earlier. Our daughter isn't two yet and she's already wanting to use the potty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
We use a cloth diaper service. I can't recommend it enough.

The only time we've ever had serious blowouts were from disposables. The cloth wicks the liquid in the poop quickly so it doesn't have to find somewhere to go. And the diaper cover catches any slop.

We use disposables on outings.

The other thing is that children that use cloth diapers usually want to be potty trained earlier. Our daughter isn't two yet and she's already wanting to use the potty.

Potty training generally depends on the kid... and usually boys are tougher, feel free to look up my journey on potty training my now 4 year old... it was hell!

My wife and I are currently into our fourth straight year of diapers... We go with Pampers for new babies, then store brand once they hit size 3 or 4.

Once all are out, we are going out for an expensive dinner.

Congrats.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 Billion Stories
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All I know is that my mom had four kids in diapers at the same time (my brother and sister are twins 15 months younger than me, my other brother is 18 months younger than them), and she had to hand-wash and line-dry all our diapers. Though I don't necessarily recommend it, she did survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a diaper service in your area, that is a great route to go. We had diaper service given to us for 6 months with one of the girls, and it was a pleasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the GF seems to think cloth diapers is too hippy for her.. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't bother with a diaper genie or anything similar. I know it isn't ecologically friendly or green, but tying up nasty diaper in plastic grocery bags works very well.

Also, consider, since your going to be an unmarried father, talking to an attorney that does family law. I don't know Texas law, but in Florida there are some things to know. (Sorry to be a downer in a happy time, but I see this stuff explode on a daily basis.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Dad!!

You are about to enter the most rewarding and frustrating of all human endeavors. Our youngest of four is now 11-years-old and will be entering middle school. Our oldest is now a sophomore in college. Time flies. Enjoy your children why you have them.

PS: I can see why you thought diapers could be bought with Geek-Gold, based on the amount of crap that is slung around here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:
Don't bother with a diaper genie or anything similar. I know it isn't ecologically friendly or green, but tying up nasty diaper in plastic grocery bags works very well.

As a counterpoint, we used a diaper genie and it did wonders for containing odor to a degree that plastic grocery bags did not come close to matching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:

Also, consider, since your going to be an unmarried father, talking to an attorney that does family law. I don't know Texas law, but in Florida there are some things to know. (Sorry to be a downer in a happy time, but I see this stuff explode on a daily basis.)

Well, the plan is to get married after the birth. We want to be able to drink and enjoy the full spectrum of the moment without being held back too much. One of the gifts can be babysitting the baby from the beginning of the festivities to the end of honeymoon

One big issue, is we are both from the Detroit area and we def are going to miss out on having access to family for interactions/babysitting/etc.. so that kind of sucks.. but ultimately, we will be good

We actualy plan to move to Tampa in a couple years, to be around good friends and do the family thing there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
My diaper tips:

Use Amazon's "Subscribe and Save" function on diapers. You can get them delivered automatically, every month (or whatever), for cheaper than you can get them at Sam's/Costco. The "Amazon Mom" program used to offer an additional discount on top of the Subscribe and Save discount, but I'm not sure if that still applies.

Diaper Genie = expensive custom bags. We used the Diaper Champ, which uses normal trash bags, and it was just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Djcheddar wrote:
Tips for diapers?? W

1st of all have the clean diaper ready and hold it as a shield between your face & the little one when you take the dirty diaper off (especially if it's a boy). The change in temp when the used diaper is removed will sometimes make them pee.

I'd also check out 2nd hand clothing stores for babies & toddlers. You can often find some great stuff since the kids grow out of things before they can put much wear & tear on 'em. Such shops are also a good place to trade in outfits the kid out grows for credit.

If there is a college or university nearby, check out the married student housing; public bulletin boards there in places like the laundry rooms are a good place to find other new parents in search of trading babysitting. This can be a huge help if your not near family that could help with such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I let my kids run around naked and taught them to crap in a hole in the backyard. This was accomplished by tying them from a tree over the hole for the first two years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenpence nonthericher
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized that my "tips for diapers" comment, may have been misread lol. At the moment, it was a panhandle for tips to buy diapers. Not helpful tips on diapers lol

But I must say, the info has definitely been helpful, so thank you!

Also, thank you for the kind words
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my tip is get this:

mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear Gordon
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diapers go on the baby's butt.

That whole sentence is very good to remember in its entirety. Sometimes I would review that golden rule before a changing. I would say it out loud and emphasis the various nouns. In the end I just made a little placard of this rule and hung it over the place where I normally changed diapers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The tip on diapers is try different types. Babies come in different shapes and sizes. Some diaper brands fit some babies better. No one can tell you what kind is best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Laudwic wrote:

As a counterpoint, we used a diaper genie and it did wonders for containing odor to a degree that plastic grocery bags did not come close to matching.

And who doesn't like the giant diaper sausages you pull out of the pail when it's full?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
CameronL wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Laudwic wrote:

And who doesn't like the giant diaper sausages you pull out of the pail when it's full?
I am SO glad my kids are past the diaper stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.