Subject: Wish for more location-based features rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing this a couple of times, I think the locations in general are great. Each card has its own rule text to follow which gives more points/coins based on what's been placed (or what will be placed).

To be clear to players without the print and play version, there are many locations which care a fair amount where they are placed, such as cards giving 1 point for each different adjacent location, or 2 points if you have 3 green locations nearby.

However, many of the cards which give points based on the station's contents ignore where the location is placed. Notable examples of this include Turret, Transportation Platform, Energy Market, Galactic Resort, and Market Place. These cards care less where they are played -- you'd only use them to satisfy other cards. At some points in the game, I felt the locations I was building were simply placeholders and thus could be built almost anywhere.

I understand the need for some locations which work regardless of where they are. I think it would improve the strategy and flavor aspects to add more effects to some of the cards based on where they are placed.

For example, Market Place could trigger once per adjacent purple location. (Other civilizations are buying the latest gadgets from you.) Turret could only count other turrets within 3 spaces (suggesting you put guns at the "front" of your ship). Transportation Platform can't be within 2 spaces of another Transportation Platform. Galactic Resort only counts locations within 4 spaces (since vacationers don't want to walk through the whole station).

Such additions would only add mild complexity -- purple locations 8 spaces away could still count towards Galactic Resort, and Turrets will likely be bunched together anyways around power reactors. However, and a few of these additions would make the game more-location based and could make the resulting stations look more reasonable in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the modifications you already proposed, was there at the start and later it was removed. Why? Because it made the card a little bit more difficult to play than others.

What i really like about the game compared to other resource based drafting games (yes 7 wonders, i am talking to you) is the fact that you see at your hand and you can actually play all of them. No resources that i do not have access at, no restrictions to placing them. There is optimal placement and sub optimal placement but still i can play them.

IMHO, game is not fun when your options are limited.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has various types of abilities and this was done on purpose.

There are abilities on locations, based on where you place them. Others look at what else you have on your Station. Others depend on what your opponents are doing and so on. There are even some that are good in the early years (ie Sports Arena) and some that are good later in the game (ie Energy Market).

I believe this makes the game much more interesting and definitely more fun to play. If all the abilities had spatial requirements I have a feeling it would become very repetitive and perhaps too calculating or too "scripted" (the cards would tell you on where to play them and not the other way around).

Also, I think it's nice to have many cards where there is freedom where to play them. They may seem like "placeholders" as you say, but in fact, they help you set the requirements for other cards (make corners or holes for "Holographic display area", ensure Opera gives you maximum points and so on)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into the issue of having more holes than items to put into them in a few games. I can understand that too much restriction might cause games to feel too similar or might overcomplicate the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
ZiNOS wrote:
What i really like about the game compared to other resource based drafting games (yes 7 wonders, i am talking to you) is the fact that you see at your hand and you can actually play all of them.

Especially in the first few moves (and perhaps in the whole of the first year) you cannot place a Fighter Launch Bay - that one has to be at least four distance from your main reactor. While you could build a Location Beacon in that first year, it would usually be suboptimal, as it gives a soft limit on further expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
ZiNOS wrote:
What i really like about the game compared to other resource based drafting games (yes 7 wonders, i am talking to you) is the fact that you see at your hand and you can actually play all of them.

Especially in the first few moves (and perhaps in the whole of the first year) you cannot place a Fighter Launch Bay - that one has to be at least four distance from your main reactor. While you could build a Location Beacon in that first year, it would usually be suboptimal, as it gives a soft limit on further expansion.

Still, you can see the Fighter's launch bay in your starting hand and build two locations and one power reactor (in a four player game) connected one after the other. When the fighter's launch bay comes back to you, now you can build it. You play the power reactor last so that the player before you would think that you are not prepared for the fighter's launch bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.