Corey Hamachek
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi i just played my 1st game of Mage Knight which was awesome by the way. But we couldnt find a ruling on when we can or cannot use our recruits to help us in enemy encounters at night. The person i was playing the game with wanted to go into a dungeon at night and said that the rules stated he could not bring his recruits with him. I guess the question is are there any other differences in combat at night as opposed to the day when it comes to being able to use your recruits or not. Also if someone just wants to list the differences in the game between day and night that would be helpful.We did look for a section in the instructon booklets on what they called night rules but were unable to find much of anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use your units at night whenever you'd be able to use them during the day. Dungeons/Tombs are a special case where you can't use your units AND it always counts as night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use your units at night. There is no restriction on that.

However.....

You cannot use your units when fighting in a dungeon, tomb or attacking a monastery.

Fights in dungeons and tombs are ALSO considered 'at night', so this might be where the confusion arises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The site cards for Tombs and Dungeon are what give the prohibition against using your units in them. Same thing with burning a monastery. In general though, you can use your units at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I hold a formal party in the evening, does that mean you have to wear a tux every time you go out at night? Night rules and using allies are completely unrelated. It just so happens that in dungeons night rules apply, and you cannot use allies.

Day: Can use gold mana. Reveal ruins and adjacent fortified sites. Has an effect on the power of some skills. Movement costs of forests and deserts are affected.

Night: Can use black mana. Ruins are only revealed when adjacent, and fortified sites are only revealed when assaulted. Has an effect on the power of some skills. Movement costs of forests and deserts are affected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Engel

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:

Night: Can use black mana. Ruins are only revealed when adjacent, and fortified sites are only revealed when assaulted. Has an effect on the power of some skills. Movement costs of forests and deserts are affected.

At night ruins are actually only revealed when you enter the hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No one would get this incorrect, but a complete list would include use of different tactics cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leshrac55 wrote:

At night ruins are actually only revealed when you enter the hex.

You're right! Somewhere along the line I got that rule mixed up with the rule for fortified sites. So much to remember in this game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
No one would get this incorrect, but a complete list would include use of different tactics cards.

As far as I know, though, you can still use a day tactic when in a dungeon. For example, you could use the mana from Mana Steal while fighting in a dungeon. The restriction on tactics only occurs at the beginning of the round when you select them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim OConnor
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Most of these rules are thematic. I've found it easier to think of them this way rather than just "random rules to make things more complicated".

Your units will not do foolish or 'immoral' things with you (entering scary tombs, burning down a monastery, etc).

The reason gold mana does not work at night is because it gets its power from the sun. In a dungeon or tomb, the sun is not visible...thus, the gold mana has no effect. Likewise, dark mana can only exist where there is no sun...and can be used in these dark places.

Dark mana

At night, it is harder to see. In forests, it's almost impossible to see (increased move cost). Even when near a mage tower or keep...it is hard to see what lurks behind the walls.

In the day, the desert is frickin HOT (increased move cost).

Rampaging enemies are always revealed because the locals are aware of these menaces and tell stories of them (hence the +reputation for killing them).

Cities have a lot of lights...thus it is easy to see who lurks behind the walls when near, even at night.

When reading the rule book, try to come up with a reason why these rules are this way. It will help you not forget them when playing...and it will make it easier to explain to new players.

New Player: "I want to burn down this monastery"
Me: "You only have 2 cards in hand. Your units aren't going to help you"
New Player: "Why not? That's a stupid rule"
Me: "Because you are about to kill a bunch of innocent monks in hopes of stealing their treasure. They are loyal...but not stupid."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Engel

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
dkeisen wrote:

As far as I know, though, you can still use a day tactic when in a dungeon. For example, you could use the mana from Mana Steal while fighting in a dungeon. The restriction on tactics only occurs at the beginning of the round when you select them.

Yeah, at some point I thought that it acted like a fortified site at night (which would require you to enter before you know what's in it), but that would be pretty crappy for ruins (for a variety of reasons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Jim is very right about how the rules were meant

On the other hand, you see only final result - some compromise between theme and complexity/fiddlyness. There were another "thematic rules" that were dropped during development. For example blocking and shooting was more difficult at night originally (so the night combats were bloodier - it was more often to take damage and then kill the opponent), but I dropped that for various reasons. I admit dungeons and tombs are kind of relics from these times... but I liked the option to cast black spells during day and there may be units or enemies that work different way at day and night in the future etc., so I kept it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.