Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the best wargames that are excellent for tournament play? They need to be 2 player and playable to conclusion within around 3 hours. Rules that can be quickly grasped after a quick read through. Which are the games that lend themselves to the development of new strategies and to chess-like game-play, where players are always thinking a move or two ahead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this one, but it some games can be a bit long to finish (4+ hours). Use the scenarios.

A House Divided
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit

The mother ship (Advanced Squad Leader itself) is great for tournament play too.

But your "ease of learning" criteria means it is the starter kits (for now ...)

If you are potentially buying, go for Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1

It is: in print; not expensive; self-contained (notwithstanding a name that hints otherwise).

And it has infantry, guns and tanks alone or in combination

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Buffalo Wings (the easiest version of the Fighting Wings games) would work well with the inclusion of 'chess' clocks to add spontaneity and keeping things moving. It can handle many arrangements: 2-player 1v1 & 2v2 or multi-player of maybe up to 4v4 for brisk tournament play.

(I am NOT the expert here.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Washington's War: 90-120 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
for multi-player, "Origins of WWII" can be played in a single day, since each game takes no longer than an hour, requiring only 5 hours for each player to play each Nation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
I help run the The Wargame Boot Camp for Strategicon conventions in Los Angles. We have run a lot of war games for people. Some of my suggestions for for your criteria:

d10-1 Manoeuvre by GMT Games. Light, easy rules, and you have eight different factions in the box that means you can have four different two player games at the same time.

d10-2 Washington's War by GMT Games. Another fairly light on rules game. Also the designer but rules in the back specificly for tournament play.

d10-3 Battlecry by Avalon Hill (Hasbro). We just had Richard Borg as a guest at our last convention and he was wonderful! In the final round of the Battle Cry tournament he played three players at once, and won two of them. This is a quick game (less than two hours) and the rules are easy to teach. Actualy most of Richards games will work (Command & Colors Ancients, Napoleon, or Memoir '44 are the ones I know)

d10-4 D-Day Dice by Valley Gmes. this just came out on kickstrater and you might not have it yet, but a free copy can be printed out. The game is easy and takes less than an hour.

d10-5 No Rtreat! The Russian Front by GMT Games. This one is a little more to teach but can be done in two to three hours.

There are other games that a little more complex or take a little more time but this is a good stat. How it helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratego

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

The Battle for Hill 218

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hell of Stalingrad
Spearpoint 1943

Both are fast, furious, and you can play plenty of drops in a sitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Jack wrote:
What are the best wargames that are excellent for tournament play? They need to be 2 player and playable to conclusion within around 3 hours. Rules that can be quickly grasped after a quick read through. Which are the games that lend themselves to the development of new strategies and to chess-like game-play, where players are always thinking a move or two ahead?

I would have suggested Napoleon's Triumph, but you ask for quickly grasped rules.
What about Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan, very easy, explainable rules and fast gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played in both Commands & Colors: Ancients and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics tournaments. All players play the same scenario twice, switching sides. Tournament ranking is counted by the total number of victory points collected. The nice thing about the C&C games is that they only take an hour or so to play, so you can do a tournament round in an afternoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A number of the Columbia block games make for excellent tournament games:

War of 1812

This is a personal favorite. Easy to learn, both land and naval operations around and on the US-Canadian border, and lots of options.

Hammer of the Scots

This one is very popular at Prezcon.

Julius Caesar

I haven't played this one, but block game tournament champions I know praise this game as one of the most balanced and fun of the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marstov
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilderness War has a scenario just for tournament play. It should take about 2-3 hours, and it's a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Jack wrote:

Given these strictures, tournaments that worked very well included Quatre Bras from Napoleon's Last Battles and A Bridge Too Far: Arnhem from Westwall: Four Battles to Germany. The former is the better choice, and its something more than its 1d6 70s-era SPI CRT might suggest. Also there is your chess-like feel as new units show up each turn, and surely competitors will move on to their next game will new ideas based on what just happened.

Problems with others on this list include length, crapness, simplicity or an overdependence on chance factors, where its hard to recover from a reverse, suggesting multiple play in league form is better than a knockout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots and Crusader Rex are both good quick learns.
2 de Mayo as well, but it might be too small and quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe except for the "chess-like game-play" part: Empire: The Macedonian Punic Wars, 350-150BC
Yes, this is probably very different from what you imagined, but it is available for £5.00 per copy (including shipping!) from The Society of Ancients and somehow fits your description

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anzio, or better it's 6th Edition, Italia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
Napoleon at Waterloo
or any single quad game from Napoleon's Last Battles...
Quatre Bras
Ligny
La Belle Alliance
(probably not so much Wavre)
All these very simple to learn, still grog-friendly, and quick to play
I'd be less sure, but you might also consider a similar set of games like the Great Medieval Battles quad. But I'd personally expect the Napoleonics to draw better and they are also much more widely played (so debugged) games anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
List of game tournies at WBC; king of the competitive wargame tourney:

http://www.boardgamers.org/gamelist.htm

...or check out the tournies run last year there:

http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook11/

Given your 2 to 3 hour requirement (game length), I'd recommended:

Washington's War

Wilderness War

Hannibal

If you want to go retro, go with 1776 (use a clock - first 9 months of 1776 campaign game - brit bids victory cities to capture).

If you want to go cult of the new, Sekigahara.

WW2? I suppose you would have to go tactical; would give a nod to Combat Commander....unless you want to go retro - then go Anzio (Avalon Hill).

If you want to go cult of the new, No Retreat: Russian Front.

All of those games are fairly easy to learn to play (would recommend you have a pre-one hour session before your tourney begins where you'll teach the game - that is all it will take). Additionally, all the games are a blast to play.

Make sure you give away some cool trophy; for example, the GM of Wilderness War at WBC gives away a real tomahawk. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
GETTYSBURG by Martin Wallace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xlhrider wrote:

Yeah, but you better know your stuff when it comes to Anzio; you've got guys that have been playing it in tournaments since the Nixon Administration that know every possible move like Kasparov. You step off Turn 1 the wrong way, they will tell you why they'll wind up beating you by Turn 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.