Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
LOS in the default game has been the subject of much controversy. Of course, the changes were made to speed gameplay, and are brilliant at making LOS easy to calculate. The downside is that LOS is extremely "loose" and essentially makes cover/strategic placement of ranged units very difficult and unintuitive.

My solution is to use the same "corner-to-corner" tracing system, but add a single caveat:

Quote:
LOS lines must cover at least 50% of the target square.

This means that LOS around cover/walls/figures is limited to a pure diagonal and not shallower angles. It is still forgiving because we are not tracing center-to-center, but rather any-corner to any-corner. But the result should be a bit more rational and allow for ranged units to benefit from cover more than they do under the default rules.

I look forward to feedback on this system!

*edit: green = yes, cyan = no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this different from D1 center to center LOS rule?

And why is the blue "Yes" a "Yes"? Seems like it shouldn't be by this rule.

Just wondering...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Your drawing seems nice, but I have no idea what "cover at least 50% of the target square" means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Your drawing seems nice, but I have no idea what "cover at least 50% of the target square" means.

It seems to be a less intuitive way of saying "You must be able to draw a line from a corner of the attacker to the center of the defender"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
And why is the blue "Yes" a "Yes"? Seems like it shouldn't be by this rule.

Because it isn't center-to-center. It's corner-to-center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Asmor wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:

It seems to be a less intuitive way of saying "You must be able to draw a line from a corner of the attacker to the center of the defender"

Fair enough. I like the term "corner-to-center." Any feedback on the mechanics rather than the name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of those lines cover 50% of the target square. Lines don't have area so no duh. Obviously, you must mean a corner can see 50% of the target, which is more complicated than simple point to point tests. But it gets more complicated still: some of the green LOS no single corner can see 50% of the target. It seems this combines "fans of sight" from multiple corners.

Or is this just corner-to-center?

One unusual aspect is it's not reflexive. Red can see orange and purple but they can't see back.

Edited to remove stuff already clarified

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduces a worse version of the cover cha-cha.

A is behind B.
B is behind C.
C is behind a wall.
You cannot shoot any of them.
They can all shoot you. (worse than the old center to center cha-cha)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:

One unusual aspect is it's not reflexive. Red can see orange and purple but they can't see back.

The non-reflexivity doesn't bother me too much. If I was Red, I could peek out behind the wall to shoot orange and purple, but I could safely duck back behind the wall so they couldn't see me.

I'm not saying I like this mechanic in a game (I'm more indifferent), just that symmetry for LOS doesn't necessarily have to be a factor, especially if "realism" is the goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the whole point of the new LOS is that you can just eye it, you don't have to get out a ruler when the rules nazi at your table is about to win or lose the quest based on 1 last shot. With what you have there, I think we would have to get out the ruler again. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Terah wrote:

I see this as the main "feature" of corner-to-center. It lets units shoot around corners without being vulnerable to unrealistic counter-fire. The default "i see you, you see me" corner-to-corner makes obstacles and cover virtually useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel O'Connell
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:
Terah wrote:

The non-reflexivity doesn't bother me too much. If I was Red, I could peek out behind the wall to shoot orange and purple, but I could safely duck back behind the wall so they couldn't see me.

I'm not saying I like this mechanic in a game (I'm more indifferent), just that symmetry for LOS doesn't necessarily have to be a factor, especially if "realism" is the goal.

If realism is the goal then you should be able to shoot Red as he peeks out. Non-reflexive LOS rules then require overwatch rules to prevent cheese. I think the LOS rules need to be reflexive otherwise the balance of some of the quests is going to suffer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
MrSumOne wrote:
With what you have there, I think we would have to get out the ruler again. cry

That's not true. Valid LOS runs along the pure diagonal from the target square. If the attacker is further away than touching the pure diagonal (and the defender is behind a wall) then they do not have LOS. If the attacker is touching the pure diagonal line, they have LOS. No ruler needed at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
eatspider wrote:
Non-reflexive LOS rules then require overwatch rules to prevent cheese. I think the LOS rules need to be reflexive otherwise the balance of some of the quests is going to suffer.

I think the relatively short range rules for D2E would prevent this from being abused, but also let ranged units benefits from walls. But that is a decision for each gaming group to decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paivinen
United States
San Jose Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:

A is behind B.
B is behind C.
C is behind a wall.
Granted, I haven't played a large variety of war games, or games with different line-of-sight rules. It seems to me that if you're in this situation, then it means you're standing in some fairly open ground while those attacking you are behind cover. Seems perfectly logical that you should get your a.. kicked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Pushkar
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think "balance" is build on fact that if one figure have LOS to other, then it true for reverse LOS but I like it and will try if our group will agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFunkenstein wrote:
Terah wrote:

I see this as the main "feature" of corner-to-center. It lets units shoot around corners without being vulnerable to unrealistic counter-fire. The default "i see you, you see me" corner-to-corner makes obstacles and cover virtually useless.

By necessity if you put yourself in a position to take a shot you can be shot back.

I can shoot you but you cant shoot back is horrible. One of the most basic rules of LOS is the if you can see me I can see you rule. Otherwise it does become a cover dance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumPain wrote:
DrFunkenstein wrote:
Terah wrote:

By necessity if you put yourself in a position to take a shot you can be shot back.

I can shoot you but you cant shoot back is horrible. One of the most basic rules of LOS is the if you can see me I can see you rule. Otherwise it does become a cover dance.

I'm not sure I agree. If I can see you, sure, you might be able to see SOME of me, but that doesn't mean we're going to be equally easy to hit.

In a game, I don't think it needs to be equal, either, as long as both players have the same basic rules (IE, if heroes can hide behind cover, so can monsters). In 2E, cover is hard enough to come by that I don't think it's a big deal, and playing the "cover dance" game doesn't usually do much to further objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Terah wrote:

A is behind B.
B is behind C.
C is behind a wall.

If C "should" have cover and the others "should not," then your cover system would have to account for cover from a wall or cover from another figure differently.

Otherwise your options are that all of those figures have cover or none of them have cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MaximumPain wrote:

Unless you are behind an arrow slit, or a murder hole, or (to a lesser degree) behind some rocks.

MaximumPain wrote:

The attackers are not dancing precisely because LOS is asymmetrical, they don't have to move around in order to fire and maintain cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.