Subject: Kiddie Waffle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ade Lewis
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
So far I've seen veritable waffle about 2e
Its not making me get my wallet out, am I alone?.

I'll hold my hands up...I'm Biased, I know being an owner of 1st Ed in totality..., but i'm still waiting for the 'real' reports, not the emotions. ...

I give plaudits to the efforts of some session posters and reviewers slapping out page after page of first time findings,but so far to it feels like painting a picture of the game in a storylike fashion, session posts just imaginations running riot with due respect.

I have that feeling that once the campaigns have run the course those will end.

Then we can get down to the nitty gritty of what might end up being quite an investment moneywise and timewise...
Theres something to be said for the longevity of a gaming system, we have yet to see it play out?

Time will tell, until then, paint the pictures, and chrome plate the story... I'll be waiting with wallet for the hardcore reviews from the ones that will still be attempting to play this next year and the year after that.

The big question:
Does this have that epicness, or is it a firecracker, the fuse lit, then a bang, its all over..

As a side note:
The strange thing is I have put the money aside to buy, but dont yet have the guts to press 'Buy Now' based on the reports so far...

When will it be proven, when will d2 be voted a concrete long term investment? Based on posts so far, not yet.

For me, It just does not sound and feel like it will stand the test of time once the current new wave descenters have run their course and the real D2 failings come out in the wash. Lets be frank in some respects its as imperfect as its mother was but will it be as great?

Edit:Speling mystakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hancock-Parmer
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
History Professor; Interested in Co-op Dungeon Crawler Design
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same way.

One point, and this shouldn't convince any 2e owners to turn in their sets. But it is something for 1e owners to consider...

The amazing art on the tiles is brought up over and over again, but won't that make it all the harder to write unique stories for later gameplay using those same tiles? I never minded using chits for fog, ice, lava, pits, etc. It certainly made the pieces a lot more flexible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Page
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge 1e fan who was also on the fence, but I went ahead and dove in. I haven't decided if it was a good idea or not yet with one play down. I'm also one of the few people who didn't like Road to Legend (I thought it was too kludgey, trying to shoe-horn a campaign system onto a system not meant for it).

My sense from 2e is that it is designed as a campaign based game from the ground up. I don't think you will get the same rush of escalation during a single session like 1e would in a single game (getting all the way up to gold treasures and coming toe to toe with truly nasty monsters). 2e seems to be set up to build more gradually. As a matter of fact it lacks any truly impressive magic items (most are comparable to copper treasures in 1e), and those seem to be harder to come by. But this is good for a game based around a campaign setting.

My initial (albeit incomplete) impression is that 2e is more for on going campaigns, where as 1e was best for one off dungeon crawling sessions. If the idea of dungeon crawling campaigning is appealing, don't hesitate to buy second edition. If you are pining for some raucous, big-gun slinging, epic show down dungeon crawling sessions, I'd consider sticking with 1e.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Got it on order (seems to take forever for anything to get to Oz these days.)
If it's terrible I'll just treat it as an expansion for 1st ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miles
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, plz let the rest of us know when the "hardcore" reviews are out. Silly me, I've apparently been getting my information from the softcore ones.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
D2E's gonna be in print for quite awhile. If you like D1E, keep playing it. D2E's for the folks who couldn't get D1E to the table.

These reviews don't write themselves. If the reviews aren't satisfactory for you by now, you're either going to have to pony up some cash for someone to write one to your specs, or keep waiting. D2E has just been released, and quite a few boardgamers *really* like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still on my first hit...... phttttttttt....... Ill let you know how I feel after my tolerance is built up. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.