Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off if you don't know what "bucky balls" are and your guessing what they might be, get your mind out of the gutter.

Second if you do know what they are and you have bought some check out this crap...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57480092-10391704/gov...

and this...

http://www.getbuckyballs.com/buckyballs-only-marketed-to-adu...

I have some myself and highly enjoy them. I like having something in hand to fiddle with.

To support the company I just ordered a set of the blue ones and a couple sets of the new "bucky bigs".

This whole thing kind of sickens me on so many levels...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
First off if you don't know what "bucky balls" are and your guessing what they might be, get your mind out of the gutter.

Second if you do know what they are and you have bought some check out this crap...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57480092-10391704/gov...

and this...

http://www.getbuckyballs.com/buckyballs-only-marketed-to-adu...

I have some myself and highly enjoy them. I like having something in hand to fiddle with.

To support the company I just ordered a set of the blue ones and a couple sets of the new "bucky bigs".

This whole thing kind of sickens me on so many levels...

I have some, but I used to give them to my 3 year old to play with and I haven't seen them in a long time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
AvidHunter wrote:

The funny part is this is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title:

Okay, followed by this, but you'd have to use your imagination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
I read that as Lucky Balls and immediately opened this thread. I leave disappointed yet relieved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my best friends, Bucky, in high school was reputed to have a large set of ba...........

Oops, wrong site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are awesome. My 14 year old son has just over 1000. I keep 216 (enough for a 6x6x6 cube) at my desk at work.....next to my rubik's cube. It's really amazing what you can do with magnetized BBs.

The government wants to ban them??? Next they'll try to ban razerblades!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, that's a really personal question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Once again, there are some really bad parents out there. Idiots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The company makes a good point: Cords strangle several children per year. Several children choke on uninflated balloons every year. Both are allowed to stay on the market. So why are Buckyballs, which have similar dangers, being taken off the market?

I'm tempted to buy a set, but really I don't need more junk around my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love our bucky balls. I will definitely be buying more, we've gotten so much use out of the set we have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the guy at work had ema few years ago. very cool. so, i assume if kids swallow them they are effed right? Is that the issue they have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more inclined to blame something like this on a litigious society than a government agency. If the feds don't respond, some kid would swallow a shitload of these, their parents would contact a lawyer and sue the government.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buckyballs are awesome...

My son and I play with em all the time - and the photograph well too. Son made all of these, I shot the photos:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was tempted by the bucky cubes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that when little kids swallow these highly-magnetized spheres, as they pass through the GI system they are attracted to each other and can really mess up the intestines by twisting them. It's similar to something I read about the dangers of rare-earth magnets when swallowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I don't have a set is that I've got young kids, and it will be another thing I have to keep them out of in my game loft. There are an incredible number of things in homes that are dangerous to children, and we take time to put them away or make them child safe. Knives, cords, cleaning products, antifreeze, ect. The problem is folks don't want to blame themselves when something goes wrong. Bucky Balls should be kept away from young children. Simple as that. Interestingly, I found the same warning in a child's toy of a kind-of letter animal (a toy duck the was made up of the letters d-u-c-k) where the parts were attached by magnets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they can start giving them away in Kinder Eggs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
Maybe they can start giving them away in Kinder Eggs...

and we'll set up a smuggling operation from Canada. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm stupid, but when my daughter turned 6 months old the pediatrician began reminding me on each monthly check-up to child-proof our home as soon as possible and gave me brochures and tips.

Parents!! shake

Well, I was amused/shocked/horrified that playpens come with a warning to not collapse them with the baby inside!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
EgorjLileli wrote:

Well, I was amused/shocked/horrified that playpens come with a warning to not collapse them with the baby inside!!!!!

Similar to this one?

Don't put the baby in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 Billion Stories
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Close, I have a small set of GeoMags. They were given to me as part of a going-away present when I left my job at a science museum. I use them as refrigerator magnets--that I can sculpt with! I think GeoMags got eclipsed in the market by the very similar SuperMags, which are (were? Don't know if either is manufactured now) cheaper but less durable and lose their magnetism more quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

Similar to this one?

Don't put the baby in the box.

My Mom had this Olfa touch-knife when I was a kid... a small x-acto like blade comes out the side, she used it for fabric cutting. Check out the warning:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my Buckys. Great to fiddle with!

I'll never understand how GW can be president but Kinder Eggs are deemed dangerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
[q="AvidHunter"]The funny part is this is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title:

I've got one of those made up from one of the ball bearing and magnetic stick toys. But you have to add more sticks (and balls) to stiffen it, as it had to be all triangles to be rigid (there's quite a neat proof of that if anyone cares). I get round the confusion that causes with yellow sticks for the real ball, blue and red (for hexagon and pentagons) for the stiffening. Unfortunately right now I can't upload an image to show you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Any one have "bucky balls" ::update::
I got this E-mail from ThinkGeek.com...

Subject: ThinkGeek: Safety Information about BuckyBalls

BuckyBalls Safety Notice
As you may have heard, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CSPC) recently started an enforcement action against BuckyBalls concerning the safety of their product. Given the serious nature of the safety concerns raised by the CPSC, we determined that it was in everyone's best interest to stop selling BuckyBalls until further determination by CPSC.

In addition, ThinkGeek is offering any and all past purchasers through the ThinkGeek website the opportunity to return their BuckyBalls for a ThinkGeek credit. This opportunity is available for one year through August 31, 2013. This credit will be good for future purchases on ThinkGeek(*). If you wish to return any BuckyBalls you've purchased from ThinkGeek, please contact our customer service department using the process outlined below.

For faster service on this issue, we recommend that you use the return merchandise authorization form on our website. You may also respond to this email. Responses to this email will go to a special team of ThinkGeek Customer Service Monkeys, who will be glad to assist you with this issue. When responding, please note the original email address from which you placed your order or original order number(s).

More information from the CPSC is available at http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12234.html.

Here is my reply...

Dear ThinkGeek,

In case you are collecting information on peoples stand on this issue please allow me to voice my opinion.

I personally feel that Buckyballs is at no fault here. It is of my opinion derived from the information I have read that the fault lies with negligent parenting. Unfortunately due to where our society and government currently stands (another separate issue) the blame for a few ignorant individuals has fallen into the wrong hands.

Frankly my favorite analogy in the situation is the one I read about how many children die from suffocation from balloons every year, and yet there has been no intervention to any balloon manufactures and the sale of their product.

It is of your right as a distributor to not sell their product. It is my right as a consumer to boycott your company for doing so. So that is currently where I am. As long as ThinkGeek.com has decided to take a side in this matter I do not agree with I will no longer make any orders of any kind.

It is also my right to voice my opinion in a public manor so that others may hear what is occurring. Be assured that I will do so.

FYI... to support BuckyBalls directly I have recently ordered $70 worth of product from them instead of you.

Thank you

This still has me completely irked. The product is covered in warnings that it is a toy for adults and should not be allowed to be used by unsupervised childern. Yet people did. Now the thriving product that someone worked had to make a success out of is running the risk of being shut down.

One of the few things I take pride out of this country is the fact that if I want I can work hard and be a success story. I continue to fear that we are heading ever more in the wrong direction. This makes me so mad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.