Subject: A Campaign With Many Heroes (Part 2) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As I mentioned in my prior session report, my primary purpose here is to demonstrate how flexible the Descent 2e game system is for a small gamestore like ours where the pool of potential players is not large enough to schedule campaign sessions with certainty. We operate on the basis of whoever shows up gets to play, whether you played previously or not. We do have a few core players but our sessions have varied between 3 and 4 hero players with 6 of the 8 original heroes participating as of this posting (the Finale will be fought on Wednesday August 1). The heroes, in order of appearance, have been Widow Tarha, Avric Albright, Syndrael, Tomble, Grisban, Ashrian, Tomble (with a new player), Ashrian (with a new player), Ashrian (returning to her original player), and finally Widow Tarha again (but with another new player). The "core" group has been Grisban, Tomble and Ashrian. We view our campaign as a learning experience and a D&D Lite Campaign and not as an attempt to find the best min-max combos and so on. That's for the future.

On this particular date (July 7, day two of the pre-release event), Player One ("P1") returned to the table but decided to try a different hero, thus we now have P1 Grisban replacing Widow Tarha. P5 joined us as P5 Ashrian, a healer-type. Finally, P6 visited The Matrix for the first time, took a look at our table and said, "I'd like to try that," so we invited him to give Tomble a run, thus P6 Tomble was born, a more responsible thief than our original rascally Tomble who was played by P4.

We weren't sure whether or not we were starting a new campaign, therefore we skipped First Blood (which I view as strictly a tutorial scenario anyway) and went straight into the Fat Goblin scenario. The crop-stealing goblins proved no match for Grisban. They might be speedy and elusive but his axe chopped them down efficiently. As for the second half of the encounter, the rescue of Frederick was greatly eased by the "gross" incompetence of Splig whose interrogation techniques did not impress the hardy Frederick. There was only one slight mishap for the heroes when Splig's second in command (an ettin) picked up Tomble and hurled him into an adjoining room. Tomble laughed it off but the incident will come back to haunt him in a faraway place high in the mountains to the east.

At the end of the session Grisban spent 2 XP on Brute (+4hp) and Counterattack. Tomble turned up a Lucky Charm in the treasure which he graciously gifted to Grisban (who gets testy when his attributes fail him), and Ashrian discovered the pleasures of Healing Rain.

As the OL it seems to me that Fat Goblin is a better introduction to the game than First Blood. From a narrative point of view, it's also the logical first step for the heroes entering the Realm of Rhynn and learning the bare outlines of the story. It's a relatively easy battle for the heroes but it does provide enough of a challenge to keep them thinking about each move.

At this point none of us were sure where the game was going. The only thing we knew for a certainty was that we all wanted to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, and I gotta say, I think you might be right about the fat goblin. I am tempted to say its the first game, but it does only leave 2 act 1 quests to choose and some players might not like the restriction that leaves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thanks, blunder1983 (or should I say Chris). I'm hoping FFG will release bigger campaigns. One of the great regrets of my gaming life is missing out on Road to Legend entirely. Meanwhile this campaign does grow from small beginnings to a huge Finale which we will soon experience. The players are getting nervous already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.