Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dominant Species is a game that requires many plays to understand its nuances. I personally like the balance & imbalance of all 25 cards, with all of their variances in power. I'm curious what other experienced Dominant Species players think.

Poll
Dominance Cards vary in power. The strength of its effect varies, dependent on when it appears (eg. first round vs last round). Aside from this one factor, which of the 25 shuffled Dominance Cards do you think is the most powerful in general?
Aquatic
Biodiversity
Biomass
Blight
Catastrophe
Cold Snap
Disease
Ecodiversity
Evolution
Fecundity
Fertile
Habitat
Hibernation
Ice Sheet
Immigrants
Instinct
Intelligence
Mass Exodus
Metamorphosis
Niche Biomes
Nocturnal
Omnivore
Parasitism
Predator
Symbiotic
      94 answers
Poll created by candoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fear a first turn blight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teravos wrote:

Yeah, it bit me once and wiped me out... it'll never happen again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
I've been wrecked (and wrecked others) with a well timed Catastrophe quite a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
All the cards can be devastating when played at the right moment. That's why I love them all

But Blight is the big one for me. It's a wrecking ball at any stage of the game. Catastrophe is bad but if it comes out on turn one most players will just play around it in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I am the lone Aquatic voter for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio de Souza Fonseca
Brazil
flag msg tools
hgcoleman wrote:
Teravos wrote:

Yeah, it bit me once and wiped me out... it'll never happen again!

It happened also in the first turn of a game I was having with with a group of newbies. It was the firs time I played the game with six players. The birds were erased from the board due to the Blight card. I was afraid the players would get shocked/demoralized by the event, we reboot the game and started again, now everybody more wise about the harsh realities of DOMINANT SPECIES :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
A lot depends on when the card comes out. After dozens of plays I have found that cards that give "only you" an extra action pawn are the most powerful if they come out in the 1st two rounds. Blight and catastrophe have very little impact near the start of the game, and I have come back to win many games after being wiped off the earth in the 1st two round with those cards. I would gladly skip blight in the 1st round if I can score an omnivore.

On the other hand, scoring an extra action pawn in the final rounds gains little advantage, while blight and catastrophe may drastically change the tide of the game in the final rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.R. G
msg tools
I'll give a bit of my personal thoughts on the two highest votes in this pole Blight and Catastrophe. I don't post much but for background I am J.R. Geronimo, the 2012 Champion in Dominant Species.

Blight can destroy someone early unless they anticipate that it will hit them and adapt accordingly. Later on it is very painful, but ideally you can manipulate the world or your animal well enough to survive it's effects without suffering too much harm. Being too dependent on an individual element for your survival really increases the risk that slamming you with blight becomes the optimal play. Blight is most dangerous when you are loosing animals in multiple hexes. If you are doing a good job manipulating the elements then its more likely blight will only hurt you on one hex and make it possible there are better plays elsewhere.

Blight was played against me in the recent finals to wipe out only one of my insects on a tundra hex. Because of the positioning of the elements on the board there was no way to get me off more than one hex with blight. This risk was mitigated because I was able to wanderlust earlier in the game and set up grass in wide enough spread to not leave my animals too susceptible.

Catastrophe is meh early but can have a huge effect later on. In the recent finals for instance, Tom as arachnids Catastrophed Rob as mammals glacier hex and wiped him off the adjacent tundra tiles, cutting away a huge amount of points. This really damaged his board position and cost him a huge amount of points. A card like catastrophe is slightly harder to mitigate against, other than taking it, not being a target for it, or arranging yourself to not be too hurt by it. This is the difference with blight though, because inherently you want a good element distribution to give you dominance and flexibility, but your species distribution is based on where you can speciate and second where it is optimal to locate your species which is sometimes in a specific strategic location.

I believe that generally strong play regarding elements mitigates against Blight while generally strong play with locating your species does not necessarily mitigate against Catastrophe. This is why I feel that Catastrophe is the stronger action card.

Clearly though context and game situation mean everything, and even a card like Metamorphosis can win you a title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coleman Mavity
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
Looks like I am the lone Aquatic voter for now.

Not anymore, I agree with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noonan
United States
Clayville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
"The druid said the damned thing was friendly... HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW!!!”
badge
Don't poke the Owlbear...
mbmbmbmbmb
Blight and Catastrophe are the obvious two, but I have been really burned by a Mass Exodus more than once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noonan
United States
Clayville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
"The druid said the damned thing was friendly... HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW!!!”
badge
Don't poke the Owlbear...
mbmbmbmbmb
"I would gladly skip blight in the 1st round if I can score an omnivore."

1st turn Omnivore (or Parasitism/Intelligence in the right position) is well worth it over a Blight. I will take the turn or two of pain for a whole game of extra AP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.