Subject: Polar Sink rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sigurdur Orn Sigurdarson
Iceland
Reykjavik
IS
flag msg tools
Since I didn't see this explicitly stated in the Dune Express rules I got or in the posts in the rule forums I decided to clarify the combat rule concerning the Polar Sink area, after having found this in one ruleset compilation in the file section and in the original Dune rulebook.

From the original Dune rulebook [01+2+3 - Dune complete V2.9j(S).doc]:
Quote:
Players cannot battle in the Polar Sink. It is a free haven for everyone and may be occupied by more than one faction at a time.

From DUNE Express Rules (Compiled by J.M. Gregory) [Dune Express JMG Edition v1.0.pdf];
Quote:
There is never combat in the Polar Sink. Troop Tokens from multiple factions may be placed there and occupy the region simultaneously.

Other rules concerning the Polar Sink

A)

From the original Dune rulebook [01+2+3 - Dune complete V2.9j(S).doc]:

Quote:
The polar sink is never in storm.

From Dune Express Rules (standard and advanced v1.2 with variants) [Ilya Rules component]:

Quote:
Sand Storm can not be placed or moved onto the Polar Sink.

B)

From Dune Express Rules (standard and advanced v1.2 with variants) [Ilya Rules component]:

Quote:
The Polar Sink region is not a winning location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pascal bons
France
les moitiers d'allonne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By the rules (french version and "basic" version) : there is combat in every location, so even in the polar sink...
The only thing is that the polar sink can be used to move troops from and it's not a winning location.
It's only in the JMG version of the rules that it is clear that troops can coexist in the polar sink (and in the Acolas variant, with ocean/sea location).
I supposed that both rules have been played. Which rule do you suggest ? polar sink is a location and there's combat, or it is a sort of neutral location where troops can coexist ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigurdur Orn Sigurdarson
Iceland
Reykjavik
IS
flag msg tools
I've played it both ways since at my first game, which was a 4 player game, I didn't know that the Polar Sink was a neutral zone. Personally I have played with polar sink as a neutral zone after that and I recommend playing with that rule. You can attack units there with the Traitor Die. Those were all 2 player games though but I suppose it won't be much different with more players except for the play time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.