Popular Tags: storage [+] [View All]
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got quite a few games that I would like to take with me to social functions, trips, or game groups.

I thought I would give a shout out at the BGG, and see what gamers recommended for hauling their games around. Card board box just isn't cutting it

I'm interested in any bags or cases that hold up pretty well and are fairly easy to tote given what's in them. Make, model number, and price would be good info as well. Pictures would be cool too!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Nguyen
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I use these canvas grocery bags:

http://www.amazon.com/Ecobags-Recycled-Cotton-Canvas-Tote/dp...

I can fit about three Ticket to Ride sized boxes, plus maybe a fourth smaller game into a single bag. Plus they're also useful for groceries...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty economical too, I see. Just might be a pain if I pack a lot of games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a medium size military duffle for $30 last week. It was the perfect size, rugged, well built with shoulder strap and I would have bought it except that I already haul games in a new Nike sports bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgatkinsn wrote:
I've got quite a few games that I would like to take with me to social functions, trips, or game groups.

jgatkinsn wrote:
Pretty economical too, I see. Just might be a pain if I pack a lot of games though.

I puxzle a bit. That second quote sounds too me like you think the bag holds too many, as in more than you care to transport. Yet the first quote contradicts the thought that you only want to transport a small number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No_Problem .
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikea shopping bag - the normal bag they have for sale.
Huge fit's everything inside and some more. Only downside (if it bothers you) is that it's not fancy. Also not sure if you have Ikea in the US
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to your local grocer and pick up a one of these:

As you can see, it's as if these were made for game boxes. They fit perfectly for square boxes (a la Dominion) and rectangular boxes (a la Agricola).

The bag on the right is one I picked up at a CON, it's made by MayFair. HERE is a link. The brown one on the left is from Whole Foods. I like the bags from Whole Foods because they're bigger than those from other grocery stores.

I also have a really big one from Costco. It's much bigger (like those from Ikea) and plastic, so waterproof too. I find that it's so big I only use it when I'm hauling a lot of games. Otherwise, one or two of these will usually do.

Oh, and they usually cost less than $3.00.

EDITS: Lots of edits playing around with aligning my images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best bag which exist is Ikea Medium bag.

Here in Sweden it cost 4 SEK.

It's bigger than a grocery bag, obviously last much longer, cost about 2,66 times as much but will likely last longer than any shitty cotton bag you can get. And it's much bigger and rectangular/boxy.

Perfect for groceries and whatever game it fits. Like two of them or so.

If you want to bring a whole collection or huge boxes maybe the regular Ikea bags which cost 5 SEK are better. At least they are bigger.

Personally I prefer the later for laundry and storage of items and the former for groceries and anything there you normally use a plastic bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Ikea FRAKTA medium bag would cost $ 0,59:

(Bottom is rectangular even though the sides doesn't look that way on this one. But they are.)

Length: 17 ¾ "
Depth: 7 "
Height: 17 ¾ "
Length: 45 cm
Depth: 18 cm
Height: 45 cm
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90161946/

The large one would cost the same in US it seems:

Length: 21 ¾ "
Depth: 14 ½ "
Height: 13 ¾ "
Length: 55 cm
Depth: 37 cm
Height: 35 cm
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/17228340/

There is a boxy one with a zipper for $2,99 to:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90149148/

I don't know how sturdy the zipper is. Never bought one. Bought quite a few of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the 11,39 the cotton bag cost you on Amazon you get 19 of the large 65 (?)71 to the edge using the measurements if a box shape liter IKEA bags for a total of 326356 gallons / 43,647,6 cubic feet of transportation/storage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
jgatkinsn wrote:

jgatkinsn wrote:

I puxzle a bit. That second quote sounds too me like you think the bag holds too many, as in more than you care to transport. Yet the first quote contradicts the thought that you only want to transport a small number.

Sorry, "quite a few" down south usually means "a lot"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No_Problem wrote:
Ikea shopping bag - the normal bag they have for sale.
Huge fit's everything inside and some more. Only downside (if it bothers you) is that it's not fancy. Also not sure if you have Ikea in the US

Yes, we do have IKEAs. I've bought some shelves from there, but it's about 4 hours away.

Thanks for the tip, though. I'll keep my eye out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Go to your local grocer and pick up a one of these:

As you can see, it's as if these were made for game boxes. They fit perfectly for square boxes (a la Dominion) and rectangular boxes (a la Agricola).

The bag on the right is one I picked up at a CON, it's made by MayFair. HERE is a link. The brown one on the left is from Whole Foods. I like the bags from Whole Foods because they're bigger than those from other grocery stores.

Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_ONE_ large $0,59 IKEA FRAKTA bag:

Rather easily holding all my current games:
* Cyclades
* Merchants & Marauders
* Battlestar Galactica
* Battlestar Galactica: Exodus
* Agricola with a plastic container for extra large box
* Dominant species
* !! Monopoly City!!
* Race for the galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:

Have you used it for a long time, and has it held up well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgatkinsn wrote:
aliquis wrote:

Have you used it for a long time, and has it held up well?
This was made for shooting this picture. I don't normally do that

I just thought everything would fit and it did.

I have a lot of those bags. Put pot/flower soil bags in two or so and put it in my uhm.. "storage room"?

Use three in their huge plastic recycling bins for laundry sorting and transport.

Pot clothes I don't want in 3-4 and will put them away and probably still have 1 or 2.

Bought four of the medium ones to use at the grocery but 1 is quite big (60 liter?) and 2 is most likely sufficient. I've bought more since then though.

They just cost as 2,5 plastic bags and those break if you put a cucumber in the bag so ..

I don't know how much weight they can take but I doubt it would break from having my 10+ kg (22+ lbs) home made medicine ball in it. 24 or 32 kg kettlebell? No idea. It would probably HOLD the 24 kg but maybe you shouldn't swing around the bag ..

At 4-5 SEK each I can't really care that much .. I can buy more if they break? =P
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Three of these on top of each other is my laundry sorting unit (in the shower room so that's why.)
http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/90076364/#/600763...
http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/images/products/sortera-avfallskar...

Not the best but it work.

But as said my local IKEA is 6 miles away so ..
(Never I ever said it just checked it? It's 8 minutes away.. ;D)

I have never brought as many games in the IKEA bag at the same time. I would probably put three or something in it to not damage the boxes and make it easier to carry.

Google ikea frakta medium or something such.

That big plastic box is "sortera."

I've got quite a few of "kasett" (though some bigger in the same style):
http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/images/products/kassett-lada-med-l...

And "samla" to, but neither is very much related to games. But storage is nice ..:
http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/images/products/samla-lada__68535_...

Frakta = freight
Sortera = sort
Kasett = cassette! .. in this case CD sized though ..
Samla = collect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know that Ikea had different sized bags! Does anyone know if they sell the different sizes here in the US? I have not been to an Ikea in about a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prrt949 wrote:
I didn't know that Ikea had different sized bags! Does anyone know if they sell the different sizes here in the US? I have not been to an Ikea in about a year.
I think the medium is pretty new but at least they had them on your webpage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Billington
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
Three little bears. One with a light. One with a stick. One with a rope. A spooky old tree. Do they dare go into that spooky old tree? Yes. They dare.
badge
Hooty Hoo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I use:

The canvas is sturdy and the bag will hold more games than pictured. There are rings for a shoulder strap although my bag did not come with one.

You can find these on Amazon searching for "Parachute cargo bag."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a couple soft-sided (collapsible) coolers I picked up from Walmart. They came with a removable, rigid insert that I rarely use. The padding (on all sides) is perfect for protecting the games from minor bumps during transit. And the interior dimensions work great for the majority of standard game boxes. The overall dimensions are about 12in x 12in x 18in. I have been surprised how many games I have been able to fit inside.

Here's a link to the product at Walmart and a couple pictures of one of mine partially loaded with some games.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-48-Can-Soft-Chest/19897425

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgatkinsn wrote:
TVis wrote:
jgatkinsn wrote:

jgatkinsn wrote:

Sorry, "quite a few" down south usually means "a lot"
I did catch that.

What I couldn't understand is the first statement said you did wish to carry a lot, but then the second one you seemed to say that it was a painful burden if you actually got a container that would carry a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I use. On game night, I typically only bring about three games. This holds them well.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58895156/custom-game-bag-with-me...[]=tags&ga_search_query=game+bag&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j Bird wrote:
Here is what I use:

The canvas is sturdy and the bag will hold more games than pictured. There are rings for a shoulder strap although my bag did not come with one.

You can find these on Amazon searching for "Parachute cargo bag."

Actually, I just got one of those to hold all my memoir '44 stuff and keep it in theme. I agree they are sturdy. Wasn't sure if I wanted to buy another for the rest of my games, and wanted to see what other options are out there that other people have used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
texasgeoker wrote:
I use a couple soft-sided (collapsible) coolers I picked up from Walmart. They came with a removable, rigid insert that I rarely use. The padding (on all sides) is perfect for protecting the games from minor bumps during transit. And the interior dimensions work great for the majority of standard game boxes. The overall dimensions are about 12in x 12in x 18in. I have been surprised how many games I have been able to fit inside.

Nice idea. I like the idea of some padding in the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:

What I couldn't understand is the first statement said you did wish to carry a lot, but then the second one you seemed to say that it was a painful burden if you actually got a container that would carry a lot.

Those containers looked like they held just a few games. So if I wanted to bring a lot of games, then it would be a lot of those bags too. The bag looked perfect for just carrying small amount of games.

Overall, I'm just seeing what other people have used. So, I'm looking to find bags for carrying a small amount of games (like 2 or 3) and for carrying a lot (like...10).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.