Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacking your own planet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
When you are attacking your own planet to rid yourself of the defender and the "bystander" >

If I win and put two of the defender's ships in the warp, do I get to take a point away as well?

From the defender and the bystander?

thanks! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you win, all of the defender's ships go to the warp. Therefore, he loses that foreign colony, and you adjust his score marker accordingly.

The bystander loses no ships, and therefore still has the colony there and does not adjust his score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
If you win, all of the defender's ships go to the warp. Therefore, he loses that foreign colony, and you adjust his score marker accordingly.

The bystander loses no ships, and therefore still has the colony there and does not adjust his score.

Great and thanks. If anyone knows you do my friend! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, as said previousely. You cant take on everyone on the planet, only ONE alien. Unless you use Omega Missile or some other effect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those "point" markers do not determine your score. They're just there to help you keep track. How many foreign colonies you have is your score. It doesn't matter how you gained them or how you lost them. All that matters is how many you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Those "point" markers do not determine your score. They're just there to help you keep track. How many foreign colonies you have is your score.

Exactly; that's whey they're called "colony markers" and not VP tokens or something. To be fair, though, one reason people get confused about this is because the rules are lax. They tell you to move the marker up one notch when you gain a foreign colony due to being on the offensive side of an encounter, but that's it; there's no mention of colonies gained in other ways.

More importantly, nowhere in the document does it say to move a marker down when a foreign colony is lost. Those of us who have played prior editions understand that the marker is just a non-functional reminder of the other thing that actually determines victory; without really even having to think about it we knew it should always automatically track your foreign colony count. Newer players, though, are forced to infer this or play incorrectly, and it's not even a natural inference for all learning types: some people will naturally think the marker must, in some cases, show something different than your foreign colony count; otherwise it's completely redundant and a waste of cardstock.

Note also that the rules never say the colony marker is just a convenience for knowing how many foreign colonies you have; they literally say "These markers ... record the players’ progress towards winning the game." Sure sounds like a VP counter, doesn't it?

Good rulebooks don't force players to make guesses about something as important as how you win the game, and they don't force the player base to crowd-source answers to basic questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
What do you mean by, "colonies gane in other ways" exactly?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
pratchettfan777 wrote:
What do you mean by, "colonies [gained] in other ways" exactly?

I mean so-called "free" foreign colonies achieved not through being on the winning side of an offensive encounter, but via a successful deal or a game effect such as Wild Bully, The Claw, Coldsleep Ship, Disease, Wild Leviathan, Mite, Wild Parasite, Prophet, Relic, Reverse Rewards, Wild Schizoid, Super Shadow, Siren, Super Siren, Sniveler, Spiff, Wild Tick-Tock, Winner, or Wild Winner.

(Huh ... who knew there were so many of these?)

EDIT: Added Super Shadow, caught by Roberta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Thanks that makes sense. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Bill Martinson wrote:
I mean so-called "free" foreign colonies achieved not through being on the winning side of an offensive encounter, but via a successful deal or a game effect such as Wild Bully, The Claw, Coldsleep Ship, Disease, Wild Leviathan, Mite, Wild Parasite, Prophet, Relic, Reverse Rewards, Wild Schizoid, Siren, Super Siren, Sniveler, Spiff, Wild Tick-Tock, Winner, or Wild Winner.

(Huh ... who knew there were so many of these?)

Hmmm, I wonder how many more of these there are? Off the top of my head, there's also Super Shadow.

If we're moving beyond single elements and into combinations, Locust devouring a Pygmy planet counts. Of course, there are really too many combinations of effects in Cosmic Encounter that can do too many weird things when used in interesting ways (if the Pygmy is also the Gorgon and The Claw steals a planet bearing a third player's foreign colony...) to list them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.