Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cleric healing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Kiger
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
What type of action is the 10 points of healing/removing an attached card? The little arrow icon is different than the umber hulk's power this is listed as a standard action, so I'm thinking that it is a different type of action which would make it a minor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinK wrote:
What type of action is the 10 points of healing/removing an attached card? The little arrow icon is different than the umber hulk's power this is listed as a standard action, so I'm thinking that it is a different type of action which would make it a minor?

Immediate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Kiger
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Oh! That is much cooler than I was expecting. So it taps the cleric to use it on my turn, but can also be used on the opponent's turn (which would also tap the cleric)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Juri
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yep,
you could also deploy the Cleric and heal right away, if you have one of your creatures adjacent. I read this somewhere in the WotC-Forum and the Statement was from the designer himself, if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the cleric can heal on deployment. Its a very strong piece if the opponent is not playing aggressively. Coupled with a Dwarven Defender, you get a very durable warband.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko White
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
randomnickname wrote:
Yep,
you could also deploy the Cleric and heal right away, if you have one of your creatures adjacent. I read this somewhere in the WotC-Forum and the Statement was from the des0igner himself, if I remember correctly.

Correct. I had it come up a few times.

The Dwarf Cleric is really a game-changing monster, IMO one of the best in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultiville wrote:
randomnickname wrote:
Yep,
you could also deploy the Cleric and heal right away, if you have one of your creatures adjacent. I read this somewhere in the WotC-Forum and the Statement was from the des0igner himself, if I remember correctly.

Correct. I had it come up a few times.

The Dwarf Cleric is really a game-changing monster, IMO one of the best in the game.

The trick as I see it is to keep it separate from its allies. On its own its slow and only has a melee attack. If you send its allies scattering, it can't protect them efficiently. And then you need to focus your attacks, dropping one piece at a time.

You can also "feint" on the cleric, which taps it and makes it unable to protect itself with damage prevention.

Its very good, but hardly impossible to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Ultiville wrote:

Mostly I agree, the dwarf cleric is one of the 3 best creatures in the game. I have a hard time imaginng any warband which wouldn't benefit from a dwarf cleric (or 2) It's good insurance against an opponent who attaches lots of Deep Wounds (or similar cards) to your creatures.

The existance of this (and a couple of other "support" creatures) justify using creatures like Umber Hulk to pull them out of their defensive position so they can be quickly killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
XAos wrote:
The existance of this (and a couple of other "support" creatures) justify using creatures like Umber Hulk to pull them out of their defensive position so they can be quickly killed.

Wait, you need justification to use an Umber Hulk? I'd just use it because its awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denez McAdoo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Just to make sure, and this is the way I've been using it - I can tap it to heal on my turn, untap it at the end of my turn, then tap it again on my opponents turn?

Two heals per round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an immediate action, does it tap the character on the player's turn or does it not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Immediate actions always require the creature using them to tap, whether it's your turn or the opponent's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve sherbert
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm looking for clarification on the cleric's ability to deploy and heal right away, and then immediately un-tap during the cleanup phase.

I understand that the cleric's ability is different than the umber hulk's as it is an immediate rather than a standard action. However, where the problem(for me) arises is that I don't understand where it says that the cleric gets that free tap upon deployment. Other characters don't get a free tap upon deployment, so why does the cleric?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I didn't remember that the cleric could do this trick. Huh, neat.

If you're allowed to use Immediate actions during the deploy phase (which it sounds like you are based on earlier posts in this thread; I suppose I could dig out the rulebook and try to find a citation for it but I'm feeling lazy at the moment), then any creature can get a "free tap" like this, but it's very rare for something other than the cleric to have a good use for it. Remember that most Immediate actions are defense cards, and you aren't usually going to be hit by attacks during the Deploy phase.

You'll never get a "free tap" for Standard or Minor actions, since those can only be used during the activation of the creature that uses them, and all those activations are finished before the Deploy phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve sherbert
Canada
flag msg tools
I've heard all about this trick as well, and I have seen reference to this thread, but have never seen any reference to any rule that explains how this is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Well, I'm feeling slightly less lazy than yesterday, so I went and found the WotC forum thread with the official answer to this, which was referred to earlier in this thread. (I also checked the rulebook and it isn't super clear about whether you can play Immediate action effects during any phase of the turn, but the forum post is very clear)

It's here: http://community.wizards.com/comment/43541441#comment-435414...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve sherbert
Canada
flag msg tools
I see that in the 2nd post of your link the person says
"Yes, the cleric could deploy and immediately tap to heal an adjacent creature, then untap during your cleanup phase. "

But what I don't understand is where this extra tap comes from. Where in the rules does it allow for this?

It would make more sense to me if a character could play a minor action (requiring no tap), than for a character to play an immediate action, which requires a tap.

IMHO the whole issue is moot because a character can only activate during its owner's activation phase (p. 8 of the rule book states, "Phase 2. Activate: During this phase, you activate all of your creatures, one at a time") or during another player's turn, not during the deploy phase!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"The person" in that post is the designer of the game, so that post is the most official thing we have. The important ruling is this line of that post:

Quote:
You can play immediate cards at any point. Normally it is in reaction to an action, but at any point you could do it.

The question this is an answer to is basically "Can I use Immediate actions during the deploy phase?", and I think the answer is pretty clearly a yes. The next answer is just applying this principle to the example of the cleric's ability and getting the expected result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve sherbert
Canada
flag msg tools
I get that the cleric's heal is an immediate action, and can take place anytime, provided you have a tap! But where does this extra tap come from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevesherbert wrote:
provided you have a tap!

I am not sure what you mean here. There is no such thing as 'having a tap'. Units are either tapped or untapped. New units do not come into the game tapped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve sherbert
Canada
flag msg tools
'having a tap' = being untapped, i.e., having a tap to use.

i guess i don't know from where you are referencing the line "new units do not come into the game tapped". since every other character cannot activate during deploy, it seemed fair to assume (before i heard of this wacky cleric rule) that characters would come into the game tapped, then untap at the end of the deploy phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.