Keith Burgun
United States
Goldens Bridge
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey BGG, here's an article I just wrote about how the iPad is now the best platform for digital games. In this article there's a huge list of iOS games that everyone should check out, if they haven't already.

http://www.dinofarmgames.com/the-ipad-is-the-best-digital-ga...

Let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Puerto Rico HD on the Ipad..nay I'm ADDICTED to it!

Ticket to Ride is also a great ipad app...I bought the europe map in addition to the standard one, but we get to play the US map more via "pass and play"....

I have also Hive (I keep on losing vs the AI), Neuroshima Hex!, and Small World 2....but it's PR HD I play the most....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff Keith. A nicely done roundup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis isn't a partnership trick-taking game and Tichu isn't a trick-taking game but they're both fantastic. Mu's a partnership trick-taking game and is even better than Tichu and Haggis.

Why no mention of Carcassone? It's definitely my favorite iOS boardgame app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Great article! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Burgun
United States
Goldens Bridge
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Haggis isn't a partnership trick-taking game and Tichu isn't a trick-taking game but they're both fantastic. Mu's a partnership trick-taking game and is even better than Tichu and Haggis.

Why no mention of Carcassone? It's definitely my favorite iOS boardgame app.

Oh, I'm sorry. I havent played any of those 3 card games, my bad!

And I knew I forgot something. Kinda can't believe I forgot Carcassonne. I'm not a huge fan but it is a great app for a beloved boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An article on digital board games by someone who doesn't understand Apple or Tigris & Euphrates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lokides wrote:
An article on digital board games by someone who doesn't understand Apple or Tigris & Euphrates?

Good articles can be written from any perspective, not just your (evidently) elitist one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Burgun
United States
Goldens Bridge
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, when did I say I didn't understand Tigris & Euphrates? Or Apple, for that matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwiccan wrote:
lokides wrote:

Good articles can be written from any perspective, not just your (evidently) elitist one...

60 years of television and nearly twenty with the Internet and you guys still don't get sarcasm.

You ought to be careful before you get a reputation for knee jerk over-reaction...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hint: The winking emoticon could be a clue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you read Spoilers on an iPad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think tablets are in general suited for boardgames...the iPad is nothing special here, apart from its market penetration, which means it is currently the best platform if you want to develop & sell your stuff, especially games...but this will change in the future (Windows 8 tablets, mature Android tablets)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To read spoilers on an ipad you have to sign in and then press quote. Basically he just said the smiley face is a hint.

It was a good list of games and much appreciated and I'm always curious people's perspectives on the various ios board games whether for better or worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hawkeye_de wrote:
...but this will change in the future (Windows 8 tablets, mature Android tablets)

Wait - you mean there is going to be more than one of them wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Stevenson
United States
Columbus
Ga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great article! I am not a big fan of Apple of either but the iPad does look interesting. I have done 10+ wargame conversions for the PC. What would I need, or what would you recommend, to create (war)games for the iPad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tas1624 wrote:
What would I need, or what would you recommend, to create (war)games for the iPad?

You would need a Mac, an iPad, and a $100/year (I think) Apple Developer membership. And you would have to learn Objective-C, unless you choose to develop in something other than Apple's X-Code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tas1624 wrote:
Great article! I am not a big fan of Apple of either but the iPad does look interesting. I have done 10+ wargame conversions for the PC. What would I need, or what would you recommend, to create (war)games for the iPad?

You can use also Mono(C#) and share the backend between Android&iOS...the drawback is that you have to pay several hundred dollars for the licenses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Velkov
Bulgaria
Doganovo
Elin Pelin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Shit like Angry Birds, Temple Run, Cut the Rope and Where’s my Water are all bullshit memorization/execution puzzles that are only marginally above “twiddling one’s thumbs” in terms of their level of interest for an adult mind."

Lines like those almost made me to close the page.

As for the rest of the article, considering the list of games, the article should be renamed The iPad is The Best Digital Game Console for the BGG users, which is actually the main reason why I have Ipad instead of something running Android.

Claiming that it is the best digital game console is almost like saying that monopoly is the best board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Damon
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
banzai123 wrote:

What I do is tap and hold in the spoiler area, then copy and paste into Notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damonsj wrote:
banzai123 wrote:

LMAO. That iPad has some sweet web browsing capabilities, eh? I keep hearing how it's the quality of the software that makes them so fabulous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
damonsj wrote:
banzai123 wrote:

LMAO. That iPad has some sweet web browsing capabilities, eh? I keep hearing how it's the quality of the software that makes them so fabulous.
It's more a limitation of the site. There is no "onhover" in this post-tablet world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Sphere wrote:
damonsj wrote:
banzai123 wrote:

It's more a limitation of the site. There is no "onhover" in this post-tablet world.

With my Nook Color, I just tap the spoiler area and the hidden text appears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilightling wrote:
"Shit like Angry Birds, Temple Run, Cut the Rope and Where’s my Water are all bullshit memorization/execution puzzles that are only marginally above “twiddling one’s thumbs” in terms of their level of interest for an adult mind."

Lines like those almost made me to close the page.

As for the rest of the article, considering the list of games, the article should be renamed The iPad is The Best Digital Game Console for the BGG users, which is actually the main reason why I have Ipad instead of something running Android.

Claiming that it is the best digital game console is almost like saying that monopoly is the best board game.

Also, "ambiguous" doesn't mean what it appears you think it means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ursus_Major wrote:
With my Nook Color, I just tap the spoiler area and the hidden text appears.

You know that for only 2-3 times the money you could have bouught an iPad that's too hip to handle such things, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Stevenson
United States
Columbus
Ga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you cann't just get by with an iPad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.