Alexandre Dupuis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got fond memories of the times I've played this game. A friend introduced me to it and I've immediately got hooked. Cyborgs,Demons and Ezoghouls! What's not to like? I found my copy on Ebay about 8 years ago and have played it many times since.

I find it sad that there was never someone to pick up the rights to it and give it the reboot that it so clearly deserves. FFG shot itself in the foot with it CMG set on the franchise while they could of had a gold mine with a rethinking of this simple boardgame. Maybe all they need is a little nudge in the right direction... or a show of the community that their interest is still very much alive! Just like an Ezoghoul, it just wont stay dead!!!

Sooo, to remedy this situation, I got this crazy idea of remodeling SotC for the 20th anniversary of the game. I need the help of the community for ideas and comments. Feel free to contribute to the project in anyway you feel like, be it with cool ideas, recommendations, pictures or the likes. The idea is to get the momentum going and maybe get more visibility for the game. Something similar happened for Dune, so why not SotC?

NOW, ON TO THE PIMPIN'!!!!

On that aspect, I think that 3 things should be revisited:
1. Reviewing of the rule system
2.Remodeling of the board
3.Remodeling of the minis

1.Reviewing of the rule system
All in all, the core of the rules shouldn't change much. What should be given thought is on how better scale the game for a variable number of players while still keeping things interesting for the Legion and Doomtroopers. You're welcomed to give some ideas and share your gamer's group experience with house rules.

2.Remodeling of the board
I was thinking of recreating the board custom, putting more "atmosphère" into it. I'm new to terrain creation so it will be a trial by fire. I got a few ideas that I'd like to try. Got any links to recommend? Tried some experiences yourself?

3.Remodeling of the minis

Don't get me wrong I love the originals ( see my previous post on the painting of my minies) but I find they lack stance and liveliness. Plus I find that some of the Minis from Warzone wheren't too interesting. Miniature modeling has gone a long way since. I was thinking of ripping some pieces of Warhammer 40K for some of the characters but I don't want to integrate too much of their stuff since I want the game to be distinct from what Games Workshop proposes. I got zero skills in modelling but again, there's nothing like trying.

We'll that's it. There's a lot to go around, maybe I should create a seperate forum and post the link here...

Hope to have you along for the ride. It will be... interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Dupuis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remplacement for Ezoghoul
Thanks for the heads-up. I heard of that Cadwallon conversion but never actually saw the end result. It looks great! Some inspiration for what I'm about to undertake.

As for a new take on the Ezoghoul I think that I could have something really interesting with this model from Privateer Press:

http://privateerpress.com/files/products/cryx/units/soulhunt...

It's sure that it will need a bit of customization but the skeleton (no pun intented) is there. Much more bad ass then the original one don't you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gonzalez Rice
United States
New London
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to incorporate the missions, extra board, and some of the rules from the Brotherhood expansion.

There were "advanced rules" for pushing, aiming, etc., as well as terrain rules that treat some squares as teleporters (the ones I always thought looked like drains) and which gave bonuses of various kinds to figures standing on Dark symbols like the "star of semai."

Maybe players who've actually had the chance to use this expansion could comment on the value of these rules and the missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gonzalez Rice
United States
New London
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like the house rules that balance factions by giving Mishima +1 die in ranged combat and giving Capitol four doomtrooper cards instead of three.

BTW, that soulreaper makes a great ezoghoul, but I always liked the old one. I just covered him in splatter gore, and he looks pretty scary!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schomburg
United States
Maplewood
MN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you to make the game more visible make it BIGGER!
Scale the board up 250-300% and used the minis from FFG's MC CMG:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22826/mutant-chronicl...

It will definitely be more visible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gonzalez Rice
United States
New London
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigger tiles would be nice, even if you keep the standard mini size. The current boards have squares smaller than 1" x 1"

Could the game be scaled for three players by using the Brotherhood expansion to give each player control of two corporations?

Legion player would get reinforcements as for a 5-player game (only four corporations would ever be facing the Legion at once) and would get the full benefits of a win for both of his Doomtrooper pairs.

The challenge is to prevent too much coordination among the doomtroopers. But that's going to happen no matter what with only three players. And putting more factions with more doomtrooper cards on the board likely increases the opportunities of intra-corporate conflict in comparison to the standard three-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
comandantedavid wrote:
I also like the house rules that balance factions by giving Mishima +1 die in ranged combat and giving Capitol four doomtrooper cards instead of three.

BTW, that soulreaper makes a great ezoghoul, but I always liked the old one. I just covered him in splatter gore, and he looks pretty scary!

You 'balance' the factions by giving Mishima (who already have a tier 1 ability) the ability of the Bauhaus as well? So now the Bauhaus are stricly worse, and Mishima, who were top rated, are now epicly better?

As for Capitol, we use the same fix for them. I think they are the only corp that needs a fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gonzalez Rice
United States
New London
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
comandantedavid wrote:

You 'balance' the factions by giving Mishima (who already have a tier 1 ability) the ability of the Bauhaus as well? So now the Bauhaus are stricly worse, and Mishima, who were top rated, are now epicly better?

As for Capitol, we use the same fix for them. I think they are the only corp that needs a fix.

My silly typo. Mishima gets a +1 to CLOSE combat, which I hope you'll see makes much more sense. Whether their current ability is tier one or not is a matter of opinion, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Dupuis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've thought of the same thing. Though I still prefer the extra mobility,especially with the cyber arm! Depends on your playing preference. I do find the brotherhood a bit blah. I give the three art cards to the player and he can choose which two he plays anytime during the game.

For capitols, I think they should choose their third tactic card after everyone has taken theirs. Gives them a better edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Dupuis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking of adding more WOW! to my terrain by adding electricity to the boards. Was thinking of adding spinning disks, mecanical parts and lights inside the board to add to the feel. Anyone has any sites to recommend that could give me some pointers on how to do that? I've googled for some answers but only gives lame videos that don't show much or sites with pictures but no "how to".

I was also planning of adding walls to the board. I know it will make it even less portable but it would be awesome and settle some of those questions on line of sight we have. What type of material should I use to have a durable game?

Any sites you like to consult for your mini projects? Be it painting, or terrain creation?

I'll post links to minis I'm thinking of using to replace those used in the original game later this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Diebel
United States
Phildelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Man...You're bringing back tons of old work I did on "pimping this game>" I was stoked to improve upon as soon as we completed Mission 10! SOme ideas we had and worked with successfully:

1) Larger tiles to accomodate the many very cool Warzone Minis,
2) Working in more aof a Warzone style 20 sided die concept...elimintaing the table top movement issues, but introducing greater statistical balance
3) Drafting Doomtrooper pairs from a whole roster...for example, Bauhaus could be expanded to go beyond just Steiner and Duval....add in Wolfe, or Ricthausen, or any other names you care to create. Bring in other troop types from that Corp...such as a simpler "Hussar," or a cool "Jungle Kommando." IN this way, you would be customizing your team by talent and equipment, rahter than generic equipment alone.
4) If idea 4 proves too much of an effort, then consider the concepts introduced in "Fury of the Clansmen" that still enable you to utilize the simpler "Black Red White" die system. But allow charactrers to sepnd actions to "aim," or "auto-fire" spread. Use range bonuses for defense, etc.
5) Don't limit yourself to the equipment cards in the base game. Allow people to buy "spectral displacement devices" and "improved armor." 9on that note, it always bothered me that only Cybertronic could ever have the extra armor roll)
6) Introduce new Events based on some of the other great "Warzone" Dark Gifts, and theme the deck to match the type of Nepharite in play! Is it a Nepharrite of Algeroth, or Demnogonis, Ilian, etc. Customize the Dark Legion to make sense with the Citadel you're fighting in. For example...use a Soulslayer instead of an Ezoghoul, or Immaculate Furies in lieu of Razides. Children of Ilian instead of Legionairres. The warzone figs offer SOOOO much potential.

These are just many of the ideas that I can think of. I found it EXTREMELY disappointing when FFG completely botced the reboot. They have the ability to take the original Seige and make it so expandable (like Dust Tactics or Tannhauser), but just took it in a completely different direction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Schroter
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
ooh if you could get this kickstarted and off the ground i'd be willing to supoort it. my favorite boardgame ever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.