Subject: Faction Requests & Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s great that Wizards is going with pre-built factions for their miniature line. Ever since I tried the D&D Skirmish playtest, I couldn’t help thinking up ideas for more factions. Feel free to post your own ideas here.

VIRTUOUS MAIDENS
It’s unlikely that the goblin, undead & orc faction will have any Adventurer type creatures. Hence this faction will provide more Adventurers to complement Heart of Cormyr but will feature ALL female units. Some ideas for the creatures:
Human Guards (Greyhawk City Militia)
Human Rogue (Kat from Castle Ravenloft)
Human Archer (Catti-brie from Legend of Drizzt)
Dwarf Shieldmaiden (Vistra from Wrath of Ashardalon)
Elf Paladin (Keyleth from Wrath of Ashardalon)
Elf Warmage
Virtuous Charger or Unicorn
Justice Archon or Rikka, Angelic Avenger

CULT OF ASHARDALON
A group of cultists who summon aberrants and bind demons & devils to their service. As per D&D lore, Ashardalon himself doesn’t recognize these followers so the dragon wouldn’t feature here but it makes heavy use of the other minis from Wrath of Ashardalon. The concept of Morale would seem out of place for this faction, maybe change Morale to Fervour.
Human Cultists
Grells
Gibbering Mouthers
Legion Devils
an evil-looking Human Cleric/Priest
maybe a Beholder? (NOT the Gauth please)

DRACONIAN FURY
Dragons, drakes and their kobold minions. Maybe the large dragons can eat the kobolds to regain health. devil
Kobold Skirmishers (Castle Ravenloft)
Kobold Dragonshields (Wrath of Ashardalon)
Kobold Sorceror (Castle Ravenloft)
Kobold Dragonwrought / Flamescorched / Wyrmpriest
Rage Drake (Wrath of Ashardalon)
medium and large-sized dragons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind Flayers and Kuo-Toa to go with the Drow!

Also, some Githyanki dragon riders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The "Creeping Death" faction... Slimes, Gelatinous Cubes, Molds, Mists, Acids and Jellies.
Lots of different colors and transparencies, greens, reds, yellows and icy blues.

The "Elemental Force" faction... Fire, Ice, Air, Earth, Plant, Metal and Crystal all roaring across the board now THAT would be a sweet set indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GHOST FINGER wrote:
The "Creeping Death" faction... Slimes, Gelatinous Cubes, Molds, Mists, Acids and Jellies.
Lots of different colors and transparencies, greens, reds, yellows and icy blues.

Man.. this would be a very valuable faction. Gelatinuous Cube and co are pretty expensive on the singles market. But who would the Commanders be? Cormyr's resident garbage collector?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghaunadaur God of Abominations, oozes, slimes, jellies, outcasts, ropers, rebels.

So Avatar of \ cleric of Ghaunadaur for you leaders :-)

Augies has nice tentacle models now, i dont think D&D had many tentacle things,

any how i'd to see a Manticore, Giant Scorpion, Unicorn, Twig blight type creatures and Fen Hydra,

Elf faction / Dale lands faction (unicorn, trent, dryad, archers, scouts, rangers)
Shadowvar faction ( kinda like drow but more magic and shadow monsters, Shar clerics)

Evil human factions:
Zhentarim.
Cult of the Dragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A druid commanding a faction of twig blights, treants, bears (replacement for the ones in Ashardalon), shambling mounds, bullywogs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, forgot about the animal type monsters in the DDAS games. Ok, how about a lycantropic faction - bears, werebears, wolves, werewolves, rats and wererats.

Oh man, Wizards has plenty to milk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
Oh man, Wizards has plenty to milk.

Yeah, and they have 4 options for promo materials too...

- Tiles
- Order Cards
- Commanders
- Minis

They have a very aggressive release schedule right now, presumably to better support tournaments starting in 2013. I'd love it if the pace kept up and we saw a new set every 2 months... I'm guessing that they'll slow down, but we'll learn more about that in time.

There are a lot of ways to develop thematic sets, though I expect we'll see at least 3 monster sets for every hero set to increase the value of the series to RPG and Adventure game players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Kiger
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I'd love to see an extra-planar team.

A corrupted summoner (lots of good minis that could be used here)
Mindflayer
Bone devil
an Efreeti
A couple Githyankis (helps fill out 'adventurer')

2x Mezzodemon
2x Salamanders

Large:
Ice Devil
Steel Predator

All stuff that have great minis already, a theme, and could tie in to some neat terrain pieces
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinK wrote:
I'd love to see an extra-planar team.

A corrupted summoner (lots of good minis that could be used here)
Mindflayer
Bone devil
an Efreeti
A couple Githyankis (helps fill out 'adventurer')

2x Mezzodemon
2x Salamanders

Large:
Ice Devil
Steel Predator

All stuff that have great minis already, a theme, and could tie in to some neat terrain pieces

You're highly unlikely to see more than 2 iconics in a box, and unlikely to be duplicated. The DDM product typically only delivered one in any given booster. For instance, you might see a fire set with some Azers, a medium fire elemental, a medium salamander and an Efreeti. A mind flayer could have any mix of creatures as thralls. A demon or devil will likely come as a single, with some casters/cultists and a few lesser demons or devils running around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like to see a Naresh Band from Chainmail.
Gnolls and Demons and aberrations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Perry
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonlance:
The Heroes of the Lance & the Dragon Highlord's Armies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We definitely need more "good guys" type units. Once all presently announced factions are out, the Cormyr set will be the only one containing traditional D&D heroes, unless I'm forgetting something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Aimon wrote:
We definitely need more "good guys" type units. Once all presently announced factions are out, the Cormyr set will be the only one containing traditional D&D heroes, unless I'm forgetting something...

The mix will largely depend on the popularity of the Dungeon Command game itself.

RPG players don't need a whole lot of hero minis, they just need the one that represents their character (and some of them want that in EXTREME specifics).

DMs don't need many hero types either, as they are likely just a spot NPC or villain. DMs want tons of monsters, and DMs are usually the driver for miniature sales. This, and random distribution, led to a lot of complaints in the original DDM product. Some people remember how stirges quickly became impossible to find on the secondary market, despite being a common piece, because most DMs needed many multiples of them.

So for more heroes to pop up in sets, there either need to be 1) a lot more unique sculpts and players with PCs that want them or 2) a lot of Dungeon Command players who want more options for building their warband. Out of these 2, the second is far more likely to drive a $40 set. Otherwise, we'll probably just see them scattered in with monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
950Rav wrote:
The mix will largely depend on the popularity of the Dungeon Command game itself.

RPG players don't need a whole lot of hero minis, they just need the one that represents their character (and some of them want that in EXTREME specifics).

DMs don't need many hero types either, as they are likely just a spot NPC or villain. DMs want tons of monsters, and DMs are usually the driver for miniature sales. This, and random distribution, led to a lot of complaints in the original DDM product. Some people remember how stirges quickly became impossible to find on the secondary market, despite being a common piece, because most DMs needed many multiples of them.

So for more heroes to pop up in sets, there either need to be 1) a lot more unique sculpts and players with PCs that want them or 2) a lot of Dungeon Command players who want more options for building their warband. Out of these 2, the second is far more likely to drive a $40 set. Otherwise, we'll probably just see them scattered in with monsters.

Good points, Nate. But them being mixed in with monsters would be fine.

Really, what I'm hoping for is some creative folks coming up with Creature cards for existing minis, along with some new Order cards.

I've got a few ideas (objects, mostly, and also a Raise Dead power to bring back creatures from the graveyard), but they all seem like vague "somebody-will-come-up-with-something-better" type of thing.

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Aimon wrote:
I've got a few ideas (objects, mostly, and also a Raise Dead power to bring back creatures from the graveyard), but they all seem like vague "somebody-will-come-up-with-something-better" type of thing.

I have no doubt that we'll see some very limited graveyard/discard recursion effects, starting with the Undead set in November.

I wouldn't say anything will be "somebody will come up with better", more that "my idea will probably appear in a lesser, better balanced form".

We'd all love to be the one casting meteor swarm, we'd all hate to be the one on the receiving end. But, as a Lvl 12+ INT order card, it could very well make an appearance in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Kashad
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CommanderScrappy wrote:
Dragonlance:

If they were to announce something like this I'd likely flip out to such an extent that one of my friends would smack me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CommanderScrappy wrote:
Dragonlance:

Let's see, for the fun of it...

The Heroes:
- Commanders: Laurana & Elistan
- Tanis
- Flint
- Tass
- Raistlin
- Caramon
- Sturm
- Tika
- Gilthanas
- Silvania & her Silver Dragon form
- Goldmoon
- Riverwind

Dragonarmy:
- Commanders: Kitiara & Verminaard
- Red Dragon
- Black Dragon
- Baaz Draconian x2
- Kapak Draconian x2
- Bozak Draconian x2
- Sivak Draconian x2
- Aurak Draconian
- Fewmaster Toede

Ah, memories...

[Edit: I forgot Lord Soth!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Loski wrote:
CommanderScrappy wrote:
Dragonlance:

If they were to announce something like this I'd likely flip out to such an extent that one of my friends would smack me.

I recommend posting it to Wizards forums and getting people to support it there if you want it done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CommanderScrappy wrote:
Dragonlance:

By the nature of the game, creature units will need to be generic so I don't see named creatures coming out. It might be possible though to create a set of Order cards based on the battles, events & items in the Dragonlance novels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
CommanderScrappy wrote:
Dragonlance:

By the nature of the game, creature units will need to be generic so I don't see named creatures coming out. It might be possible though to create a set of Order cards based on the battles, events & items in the Dragonlance novels.

Pretty sure there's no limitation on putting in unique characters, the challenge with Dragonlance stuff is that I think royalties and licensing with Hickman/Weis? Not sure WOTC has the rights to Dragonlance, that series is O-L-D. Drizzt et al have a better chance of showing up... again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With named characters, there will have to be new rules for warband building and also on named characters in opposing warbands. I also fear it might lead to a detrimental form of power gaming.

I like how it is now, where all creatures, big or small, are of roughly equal importance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ant Brooks
South Africa
Madibeng
North West
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
950Rav wrote:
Pretty sure there's no limitation on putting in unique characters, the challenge with Dragonlance stuff is that I think royalties and licensing with Hickman/Weis? Not sure WOTC has the rights to Dragonlance, that series is O-L-D. Drizzt et al have a better chance of showing up... again.

That isn't correct -- although they have not been actively supporting the setting for a few years now, WotC owns the rights to Dragonlance outright, and would not need to licence it or pay anyone royalties to produce a Dragonlance set for Dungeon Command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you're right, chromatic, but we're in fantasy land right now.

But with a slight addendum to the rules, unique heroes could work.

For example:

At the beginning of the game, they start on the battlefield without you having to deploy them, and they do not count towards the leadership total. But then when they die, that's it, you can't bring them back (unless you use a special Order card, something like "Raise Dead" or "Miraculous Survival").

Might be fun, if both sides are equally paired.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.